DVDVR Message Board

UFC 247: Jones vs. Reyes (2/8/2020) - Houston, TX (Toyota Center)

Elsalvajeloco

1 minute ago, Lawful Metal said:

Soliz gave Jon rounds 1, 2, 4 and 5. Jesus. Even elsavajeloco is smoking crack because he’s arguing about the only round Jones lost!!!

Dude, you've never had a single good opinion about MMA. 90 percent of them were transphobic statements about Cris Cyborg so you started off well below the Mendoza line.

Just now, Lawful Metal said:

Soliz gave Jon rounds 1, 2, 4 and 5. Jesus. Even elsavajeloco is smoking crack because he’s arguing about the only round Jones lost!!!

Was that the judge in the fight? If so, jeeeeesus, we've found the one person legit smoking crack.

3 minutes ago, Lawful Metal said:

That judge, Joe Soliz should never be allowed to do so again.

1 minute ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

Dude, you've never had a single good opinion about MMA. 90 percent of them were transphobic statements about Cris Cyborg so you started off well below the Mendoza line.

I have the best opinions on MMA. And I don’t have any problem with Cris Cyborg other than all the steroids she did.

The scorecard by the guy who botched the earlier fight is irrelevant. Dominick still lost on the other two scorecards. Give him one more round, and he still lost 48-47 3x. Most fighters don't do moral victories.

Edited by Elsalvajeloco

I have the best opinions on MMA. And I don’t have any problem with Cris Cyborg other than all the steroids she did.

No motherfucker, you kept calling her a man. 

who gives a shit about Cyborg in 2020? You just can’t defend this bullshit decision. Reyes won. Jones lost. MMA judging always fucking sucks.

except the decision that Derrick Lewis won. That was the one time they got it right.

and Shevchenko is the best flyweight on the planet. Good God.

I do like that Jon Anik is firmly in the Jim Lampley role though, and that Dom Cruz was in the Malignaggi role. If you're going to call a judge out, then call him out and bring evidence. Anik is so much better than Mike Goldberg.

• Like 1

Just now, Lawful Metal said:

who gives a shit about Cyborg in 2020?

A dude who kept calling her man and should have been banned for dropping that shit into threads as his only reply to an MMA event thread.

2 minutes ago, Lawful Metal said:

You just can’t defend this bullshit decision.

Dude, you said Reyes won rounds 4 and 5. Reyes said post fight he lost 4 and 5. 

19 minutes ago, The Natural said:

That judge, Joe Soliz should never be allowed to do so again.

It's fucking frustrating getting a judge scorecard like THAT for the fighters, the sport and the fans.

Edited by The Natural

Just now, The Natural said:

It's fucking frustrating getting judges scorecards like that for the fighters, the sport and the fans.

Natural, he still would have lost. He wasn't a deciding judge. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

Dude, you said Reyes won rounds 4 and 5. Reyes said post fight he lost 4 and 5. 

I said we won 4 out of 5. Quit smoking crack with your boy Joe Solis.

And Jesus Christ how long has it been since Cyborg got destroyed by Nunes? We live and we learn. Cyborg sucked because she did so much steroids. Yeah, I probably went too far with it, but she probably did too. 

Yeah, I probably went too far with it

Dude, that's the only thing you posted anytime you posted something here. Yeah, you fucking went too far. That shit ain't cool.

3 minutes ago, Lawful Metal said:

I said we won 4 out of 5. 

No one here would give Reyes any of the championship rounds. Reyes said he lost rounds 4 AND 5 himself. Unless, they added an extra round and went to six, you would have to give him one of those two championship rounds.

I don't see any way how a fighter can be hit with a hard strike, respond by literally turning his back and running away from his opponent, and then win the round. If they were dominant before or after, or get a near finish situation on the guy, fair enough, but if it's in any way even, running for your life is the decisive moment. And Jones turned tail at least once in each of the first three rounds.

• Like 4

Ok, I was wrong.  Solis gave Jones rounds 2, 3, 4, and 5.  Two out of three judges gave Jones round 2, and two judges gave Jones round 3. 

Significant Strikes:

Round 1: Reyes -- 23, Jones -- 17

Round 2: Reyes -- 33, Jones -- 22

Round 3: Reyes -- 27, Jones 20. 

Also Jones was 0-4 on takedowns in the first three rounds. 

14 out of 20 media members gave the fight to Reyes, 48-47. 

7 hours ago, AxB said:

I don't see any way how a fighter can be hit with a hard strike, respond by literally turning his back and running away from his opponent, and then win the round. If they were dominant before or after, or get a near finish situation on the guy, fair enough, but if it's in any way even, running for your life is the decisive moment. And Jones turned tail at least once in each of the first three rounds.

The thing is the round is five minutes. Turn around and getting away from someone doesn't take a whole five minutes. Even if he did it twice a round, that's what? Ten seconds max? That doesn't automatically cost you a round.

Listening to WOR, Bryan Alvarez of all people pretty much saw the fight like I did. Reyes won rounds 1-2 and the beginning of round 3 and lost the rest of the fight.

But if you go back to what I said before the show, that's Dominick Reyes in a nutshell haven't ever been here in that type of fight and for that long. I said his window is the FIRST two rounds. What rounds did I score for him? Rounds 1 and 2. Where Dominick lost the fight is he would come out super explosive to begin round 3 and IIRC round 4. Then, he would come out and be the counter fighter and let Jon be the bull to his matador. The problem is Dominick Reyes isn't a counter fighter. That's never been him. He was landing some beautiful counters, but Jones was landing to the body and legs with kicks (which is why Reyes limped from the cage and to the post fight presser). He was popping Reyes head back with the jab and right hook anytime he turned southpaw late in the fight. He made Reyes tentative. To Reyes' point in the post fight presser, he didn't do anything in round five because he thought Jon would do a flying knee or throw spinning techniques. At that point, you're deep in someone's head. Now if Jon had decided to be Eryk Anders and basically just follow Reyes around the cage, and Dominick would have won those rounds. Matter of fact, I thought Jon did that too much in the Anthony Smith fight because Smith was all defense for 75 percent of that fight. For whatever reason, whenever Jon has someone trapped against the cage and stands orthodox, he doesn't throw his right hand enough. When he does, he either lands or barely misses because someone escapes out the side. Are we gonna penalize Reyes for doing that frequently in rounds 3-5 for that when he got tired? That's evasion too. I'm not because if he had got hurt in those rounds and Jon followed up, the ref was probably going to step it and we would be discussing if it was a bad stoppage rather than a questionable decision. Reyes wanted to fight in bursts late in the fight to conserve himself against someone he couldn't get off of him after unloading in the first two rounds. Whenever you do that, you leave the rounds up in the air. And judging by his reactions in the post fight presser, I'm sure he regrets how he fought the back end of the fight. He left the fight on the table. Whether the Texas judges or Jon himself took it off the table, Reyes completely left it there for it to be taken.

Edited by Elsalvajeloco
  • Like 2

The first time someone turned and ran in the UFC (Chief Roberts, vs Gary Goodridge), the ref stopped it because running away isn't intelligently defending.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, AxB said:

The first time someone turned and ran in the UFC (Chief Roberts, vs Gary Goodridge), the ref stopped it because running away isn't intelligently defending.

That's pre unified rules which was another lifetime ago and as soon as Jon turned around, he was intelligently defending himself. People tried saying the same thing about Sweet Pea and Mayweather years ago. It was ridiculous then, and it's profoundly ridiculous now.

This is not Nate Quarry vs. Kalib Starnes. We're talking about 10 seconds max per rounds. That would be silly to believe if you said that happening in two minute rounds that female boxers fight. 

If Horodecki vs. Anthony Njokuani taught you anything, if a guy turns his back to you, you throw a high kick. Reyes was out there reaching for Jon with punches which was only going to allow Jon to turn around and reset wherever he wanted to. Here's where Jon's experience also paid off...whenever Reyes would try to get off the cage away from Jon's spin kicks or Jon trying to land a right hand, Jon would make sure Reyes didn't get back to the center of the octagon where he could box. He was gonna escape, but Jon made sure he didn't get in better position. 

Another fight....Overeem vs. Kharitonov in K-1 Hero's. Overeem did a dead sprint across the ring away from Kharitonov, stopped, and didn't turn around AT ALL. Sergei punched him high on the back of Alistair's head to end the fight. Now you can't do that in the USA since that's a rabbit punch, but if a guy stops and doesn't turn around, yeah you have to penalize that.

I think Dan Miragliotta knows the difference after reffing a gazillion MMA bouts with a lot of them being on the highest level.

Edited by Elsalvajeloco
  • Thanks 1