DVDVR Message Board

UFC 247: Jones vs. Reyes (2/8/2020) - Houston, TX (Toyota Center)

Elsalvajeloco

3 minutes ago, Oyaji said:

The Vivisection boys made Reyes/Jones sound closer than I was thinking it's going to be. I'm excited for the fight but until somebody actually beats Jon Jones, I can't go against him. 

I'd give Reyes a better shot against Jones than most besides DC. I think people are weighing the Oezdemir fight a little bit too heavily. That was really Dominick's first real step up against a former title challenger. OSP was a step up but St. Preux sometimes has weird fights. He can be easily finished, but he somehow survived getting his arm broken and being slammed through the mat in the same fight against Jon Jones. Oezdemir is a funny case because he opened up strong against Cormier, but he was spent after that opening salvo and Cormier won every second of the fight after that until the finish. Reyes is not that type of punishing fighter like DC. He is a highlight reel machine. The problem is he hasn't found a set method or strategy to win fights if he doesn't get that finish. He doesn't have an identity yet. He's just a really good finisher. So up against an Oezdemir, he's basically fighting another highlight reel machine who just happens to be now more experienced in marquee matchups. Remember Volkan early on? Besides his first fight, he was stopping everyone in negative ten seconds. So Reyes basically fought a mirror version of himself but with more experience. I'm not surprised he had a ton of trouble.

It comes down to whether or not Jon has a gotten a little bit older and also if he more willing to put himself in danger. He has had a good amount of time off since the Marreta fight, and you always wonder how a fighter reacts after a very close, tough fight. I don't think Jon had a disappointing performance per se, but I think Jon and everybody else got surprised by how much dog Thiago Santos had in him. I think Reyes is tough, but blowing out both your knees tough is something else completely. I see Reyes having a window of the first two rounds. If he is going to catch Jon, I think he has to do it early on. Otherwise, Jon is most likely going to decisively win at least four rounds if not stop Reyes with strikes on the ground. Reyes can't let it get to that point. 

25 minutes ago, Oyaji said:

I'm still of the mind Chookagian ain't throwing shit to hit out of fear of being Eye'd. Her fear isn't misplaced, it just isn't a winning or interesting or entertaining mentality. 

Chookagian barely throws enough in fights she actually wins. Jessica Eye is a much more grittier fighter and less technique oriented. Besides Bethe Correia who has probably had the most legit concussions for a female fighter in UFC history even in fights that went to the cards, Eye is the most susceptible to being caught and just getting demolished. Now Liz Carmouche....she had the fear of God in her. She wanted no part of Valentina's striking.

I see it being a replay of Valentina's fight with Joanna. Valentina is just going to be clearly better and it's 50-45 or 49-46 across the board at the end.

1 minute ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

I'm adding the weights to the original post, and boy, Ilir Latifi went from light heavyweight to weighing 246.5. He must have hit the Cracker Barrel a lot during fight week.

Don't lie like you don't love the Broccoli & Cheese casserole.

• Like 1

Journey Newson with a nice, fast KO to end the early prelims. I think commentators jinxed Pilarte because after that high kick he landed like nine seconds in, it was basically all downhill from there.

BTW, the Fight Pass prelims are being simulcasted on ESPN+. 

• Like 1

Really good fight considering Krause's situation. Giles' heavy shots in the third probably give him the decision but I'm interested to see if anybody gave him the first round off doing damage in the standup before getting caught in several RNC attempts. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Oyaji said:

CUT KRAUSE NOW, MAHN!

That was STEPPING UP. Giles showed a lot to build on too. I like both of these guys a lot.

Sorry that I bring this up nearly everytime he fights, but it's remarkable that Krause several years ago wasn't even good enough to make it into the house on TUF. Now, he has found a way to have more longevity than a good majority of fighters who ended up winning TUF. 

6 minutes ago, The Natural said:

Looking at the results so far in @Elsalvajeloco's OP, four split decisions. That has to be up there for most on a UFC show unless I'm missing something having just woken up.

No, I'm pretty sure there was at least couple with more split decisions. When the ESPN portion opened up with the two sub 40 second KOs, it took it out of the running.

Edited by Elsalvajeloco
  • Thanks 1

I hate to say it but Juan Adams is basically the black Todd Duffee. He's very athletic and agile, but his fight IQ is low and his chin is kinda suspect. That's a debilitating combo if you're a heavyweight. Cost him against Hardy, and it cost him here to someone he should have probably beat in Justin Tafa. 

I hate to say it but Juan Adams is basically the black Todd Duffee. He's very athletic and agile, but his fight IQ is low and his chin is kinda suspect. That's a debilitating combo if you're a heavyweight. Cost him against Hardy, and it cost him here to someone he should have probably beat in Justin Tafa. 

• Like 1

I've got a YouTube video of strange animal parenting across species featuring a cat mothering ducklings queued up for this shit. 

I think the world of Shevchenko, she's the best female fighter ever imo (Nunes barely won if she won at all and there's a huge size difference) imo. But she needs somebody coming at her and that ain't this. So is she going to be more aggressive? Early signs point to yes.