Jump to content
DVDVR Message Board
Sign in to follow this  
Elsalvajeloco

UFC 247: Jones vs. Reyes (2/8/2020) - Houston, TX (Toyota Center)

Recommended Posts

ENZvFEIXUAEQWPB.jpeg?1578107827

UFC 247: Jones vs. Reyes 
February 8, 2020
Houston, TX (Toyota Center)

UFC Light Heavyweight Championship: Jon Jones © (204) vs. Dominick Reyes (205) (third defense) - Jones, DEC (unanimous)
UFC Women's Flyweight Championship: Valentina Shevchenko © (124.5) vs. Katlyn Chookagian (124.5) (second defense) - Shevchenko, TKO (punches and elbows), R3 (1:03)
Juan Adams (266) vs. Justin Tafa (265.5) - Tafa, TKO (punches), R1 (1:59)
Mirsad Bektić (145) vs. Dan Ige (145.5) - Ige, DEC (split)
Derrick Lewis (261.5) vs. Ilir Latifi (246.5) - Lewis, DEC (unanimous)

ESPN Preliminary Card:
Trevin Giles (185.5) vs. James Krause (183.5) - Giles, DEC (split)
Lauren Murphy (125) vs. Andrea Lee (125.5) - Murphy, DEC (split)
Alex Morono (171) vs. Kalinn Williams (169) - Williams, KO (punches), R1 (0:27)
Miles Johns (135) vs. Mario Bautista (135) - Bautista, TKO (flying knee and punches), R2 (1:41)

Fight Pass Preliminary Card:
Journey Newson (135.5) vs. Domingo Pilarte (135.5) - Newson, TKO (punches), R1 (0:38)  No Contest (Newson positive marijuana test)
Andre Ewell (135.5) vs. Jonathan Martinez (136) - Ewell, DEC (split)
Austin Lingo (145.5) vs. Youseff Zalal (145.5) - Zalal, DEC (unanimous)

Event Bonuses ($50,000)
Performance of the Night: Mario Bautista
Performance of the Night: Kalinn Williams
Fight of the Night: Trevin Giles vs. James Krause

Attendance: 17,401
Gate: $3.5 million

Cancelled Fights:
Ovince St. Preux vs. Ryan Spann - Bout Nixed
Dhiego Lima vs. Alex Morono - Injury to Lima (Neck)
Jimmie Rivera vs. Marlon Vera - Injury to Rivera
Trevin Giles vs. Antônio Arroyo - Arroyo Withdrew From Bout

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A sickening KTFO by Valentina Shevchenko to poor Jessica Eye. I was worried for the impact, Eye was unconscious for a while - the UFC cameras cut away and the way Jessica Eye's feet went.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

 

Man that rematch was so disappointing considering the first fight is one of the best in MMA history. I thought Gus won that in 2013.

Edited by The Natural

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, The Natural said:

Man that rematch was so disappointing considering the first fight is one of the best in MMA history. I thought Gus won that in 2013.

Well, Jon Jones made sure that shit didn't happen again.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, on paper this looks like a real predictable, ho-hum, business as usual card which means it's likely to be filled with all sorts of surprises and upsets. 😉 Seriously, unless Bones comes in coked up out of his mind talking to shadow people, I don't see this going past the second round. 

I'd like to say that Katlyn makes an interesting opponent for Valentina, but she really doesn't. I expect Valentina to pull her into pieces and reassemble her in some grotesque fashion.

It's likely make it or break it time for Mirsad after the drubbing he received from Josh Emmett, that's the sort of loss that makes a fighter look deep inside to see what's really there. I fully expect Bektic to bounce back in spectacular fashion, but one never knows, that was the sort of beating that changes a fighter forever. By all logic, Bektic is in his prime and should come back all charged up and craftier. He's one of those guys who seemingly has a bottomless bag of different ways to beat you, so as much as I respect Dan Ige (particularly after taking the fight away from "The Angel of Death" in his last outing), I'm afraid that Ige is probably in for a long and rather unpleasant evening.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, The Natural said:

A sickening KTFO by Valentina Shevchenko to poor Jessica Eye. I was worried for the impact, Eye was unconscious for a while - the UFC cameras cut away and the way Jessica Eye's feet went.

I was fully expecting to hear a booming voice pronounce "Fatality!" and Valentina to sprout a couple of extra reptilian heads or something and go suck the marrow from Jessica's bones or something along those lines.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, OSJ said:

Well, on paper this looks like a real predictable, ho-hum, business as usual card which means it's likely to be filled with all sorts of surprises and upsets. 😉 Seriously, unless Bones comes in coked up out of his mind talking to shadow people, I don't see this going past the second round. 

I'd like to say that Katlyn makes an interesting opponent for Valentina, but she really doesn't. I expect Valentina to pull her into pieces and reassemble her in some grotesque fashion.

It's likely make it or break it time for Mirsad after the drubbing he received from Josh Emmett, that's the sort of loss that makes a fighter look deep inside to see what's really there. I fully expect Bektic to bounce back in spectacular fashion, but one never knows, that was the sort of beating that changes a fighter forever. By all logic, Bektic is in his prime and should come back all charged up and craftier. He's one of those guys who seemingly has a bottomless bag of different ways to beat you, so as much as I respect Dan Ige (particularly after taking the fight away from "The Angel of Death" in his last outing), I'm afraid that Ige is probably in for a long and rather unpleasant evening.

I think Reyes is an overall more talented fighter than an Anthony Smith, and Smith managed to make it to the final horn. Reyes is a pretty good striker, but the problem is Jon Jones doesn't have to give him those opportunities. Another hitch is that if you watch the OSP and Oezdemir fights, Reyes gets frustrated when he can't get out of first gear. They put him against OSP to have a big showcase performance on  the Khabib-McGregor main card, and he underperformed even though he clearly beat St. Preux. Lesser fighters have finished Ovince St. Preux over his UFC career. They gave him another chance with Oezdemir, and that fight was too close for comfort if you wanted to legitimize Reyes as a title contender. Then, he thumped Chris Weidman as expected. That was a solid rehab performance, but that's just what it was. Maybe Reyes can make it interesting if Jones wants to engage, but Jones can just stifle him and beat him for five rounds if he wants to. Dominick's window to win is the first two rounds in my opinion. I think he does have a decent puncher's chance, but it's going to take Jon Jones being more willing to go toe to toe. Again, he doesn't have to do that when if he can get Reyes to ground, it's all but academic.

I expect Bektic-Ige to be a pretty entertaining fight. Everytime I've seen Ige fight, Ige consistently has a good performance so he's a live dog here.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Reyes is a fighter that frustrates easily and he's going into the ring against an enigma wrapped in a riddle covered by a question.  Jon Jones is the most infuriating fighter walking planet earth so I think Reyes chances are slim and none unless Jones somehow beats himself.

23 hours ago, OSJ said:

I'd like to say that Katlyn makes an interesting opponent for Valentina, but she really doesn't. I expect Valentina to pull her into pieces and reassemble her in some grotesque fashion.

What OSJ said.  Valentina is a bona fide killer.  Chookagian lost a split to the woman that Shevchenko nearly decapitated in UFC 247.  Kaitlyn learned a lot from that loss and has tightened a few things up, but I don't think she'll get past Valentina.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

With how tentative Chookagian is and how rare it is for her to put any power or weight into a strike, I fear it could be a long, boring fight unless Shevchenko says fuck it and goes aggressive which she doesn't normally do. She's a counter striker by trade. I'm hoping for a first round mega KO but fearing that 5 round 50-45 decision. 

I'm thinking Latifi doesn't let the Lewis fight become a borefest but we shall see. Bektic/Ige should be great.

Reyes has the length and striking skill to maybe catch Jones but Jon can and should be able to grapple him and then do whatever he wants from there. Also, Jones has shown a tremendous chin. I'd love an upset but I have a hard time seeing it. I really want to see what Marreta could do with two functioning legs against Jones. I'm sure we'd see a more engaged Jones but still, that was crazy what Santos, a small 205er, did with no knees against a huge 205er and the greatest MMA fighter of all time and baddest man on the planet.

Edited by Oyaji

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

#Goodness gracious, great balls of fire!

Edited by The Natural

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Vivisection boys made Reyes/Jones sound closer than I was thinking it's going to be. I'm excited for the fight but until somebody actually beats Jon Jones, I can't go against him. 

I'm still of the mind Chookagian ain't throwing shit to hit out of fear of being Eye'd. Her fear isn't misplaced, it just isn't a winning or interesting or entertaining mentality. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...