DVDVR Message Board

UFC 247: Jones vs. Reyes (2/8/2020) - Houston, TX (Toyota Center)

Elsalvajeloco

Just now, Craig H said:

I think Reyes won it. 3-2, possibly 4-1.

But I also think way back to the first Shogun vs Machida fight.

I don't think either guy should have got a 4-1 but it definitely wasn't Jones. I had the fight the same as you, 3-2 Reyes. Close enough fight that I"m fine with the decision though.

Edit- I'm an idiot because no way Reyes could have got four rounds with the last two being so dominant. Move along.

Edited by Setsuna
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Craig H said:

I think Reyes won it. 3-2, possibly 4-1.

But I also think way back to the first Shogun vs Machida fight.

1 minute ago, Setsuna said:

I don't think either guy should have got a 4-1 but it definitely wasn't Jones. I had the fight the same as you, 3-2 Reyes. Close enough fight that I"m fine with the decision though.

I also had 3-2 Reyes.

2 minutes ago, twiztor said:

Reyes 1-2-3

Jones 4-5

wow.

Reyes clearly won round 1.

Reyes had a good round 2 but he wasn't as dominant as a round 1.

I had Jon in 3 4 and 5.

Edited by Elsalvajeloco
  • Like 1

Just now, Elsalvajeloco said:

Reyes clearly won round 1.

Reyes had a good round 2 but he wasn't as dominate as a round 1.

I had Jon in 3 4 and 5.

3 was the toss-up round for me as well, though I gave it to Reyes. Easy people, you're letting your dreams of Jones finally lose cloud your judgements. I don't agree with the result but it was far from a robbery.

Just now, Setsuna said:

3 was the toss-up round for me as well, though I gave it to Reyes. Easy people, you're letting your dreams of Jones finally lose cloud your judgements. I don't agree with the result but it was far from a robbery.

Exactly.

Reyes corner before the final round IIRC says it comes down to that last round. So even they thought it was 2-2.

Just now, Oyaji said:

Do agree the system needs changing but other than 49-46, it wasn't that bad of a decision. 2 and 3 could've gone to Jones though I thought they belonged to Reyes.

I had Reyes just slightly edging Jon in round 2, but it's clear 2 and 3 did not look like round 1. Reyes started to slow down big in round 3. He landed plenty of good counter shots but Jon was chopping his ass down methodically.

The thing I'm still waiting to see is for someone to really connect with Jones when he throws that side kick or that oblique kick. Every time I see it I think of Anderson fucking around and it eventually caught up to him. There's so much tape on Jones now to the point where we should be seeing fighters counter that kick and no one ever does. We've all been able to see how Jones sets it up or winds up for it. You can't keep letting him beat up your legs every. single. fight. Reyes got to Jones more than nearly anyone else did, but the person who combats those elements of Jones' game will be the one to beat Jones.

Just now, Craig H said:

The thing I'm still waiting to see is for someone to really connect with Jones when he throws that side kick or that oblique kick. Every time I see it I think of Anderson fucking around and it eventually caught up to him. There's so much tape on Jones now to the point where we should be seeing fighters counter that kick and no one ever does. We've all been able to see how Jones sets it up or winds up for it. You can't keep letting him beat up your legs every. single. fight. Reyes got to Jones more than nearly anyone else did, but the person who combats those elements of Jones' game will be the one to beat Jones.

Dude, that's the Winkeljohn Special. If nobody has gotten to Holly Holm doing that, I doubt someone will get to Jon doing that. Jon can reach across the goddamn cage doing that. Plus, he been doing that for a decade plus now.