DVDVR Message Board

FEBRUARY 2020 WRESTLING GIFS

I was thinking about this recently, what's the natural end or evolution of the current 'video game' style of wrestling? It can't possibly get any faster, the moves can't get any more impactful or athletic, the new generation of wrestlers have reached peak gymnast, so what's next? A reverse big bang where everyone becomes Johnny Valentine by 2040?

• Like 2

10 hours ago, BobbyWhioux said:

back when the running hand spring into cartwheel into corner spot was all the rage I dreamed of someone finishing the sequence by landing a step short, delaying a second, and delivering a Piperesque eyepoke instead of the "serious" clothesline or elbow strike people were actually doing.

sadly never saw it out outside of e-fed goofiness

The Young Bucks used to do an intricate handspring into a backrake really frequently.  Even used a real rake at least once.

1 hour ago, AxB said:

What a throwback. Seeing the cage near the top tells me this is from Cage of Death 5.

Those CZW undercards with a bunch of CZW students were rough to sit through. CZW improved when they began working with the CHIKARA students and with the vets like Hero and Claudio after 2004.

Cage of Death 5 is on IWTV. There's only 176 total CZW shows on there (at the moment) which isn't many for a promotion 21 years old. Just looking for Cage of Death, they have 1, 2, 5, 9, 10, 11, 15, 17 & 18 it looks like. 

There's also 351 Chikara shows and 239 IWA Mid-South ones. Although watching 2020 IWA-MS, it's hard to tell it's the same promotion that had all that blood and nastiness back in the day. It's kind of family friendly now.

On 2/11/2020 at 5:37 AM, BurningBeard said:

I was thinking about this recently, what's the natural end or evolution of the current 'video game' style of wrestling? It can't possibly get any faster, the moves can't get any more impactful or athletic, the new generation of wrestlers have reached peak gymnast, so what's next? A reverse big bang where everyone becomes Johnny Valentine by 2040?

There won't be an end—there's always going to be some type of "video game" type stuff on a card, in most markets. However, there's already a decent amount of workers who are mostly character-based, not working anything close to the gymnastic style, and managed to get pretty over. Half the WM weekend shows are even centered around character-based workers. It's already starting to reverse, I'd think, at least in some way. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, olythegreat89 said:

I was lucky enough to go to WM 23 and they stole the show in my opinion! They really had great chemistry together.

Awesome! The best match of the Undertaker/Batista feud and by far the Match of the Night which should've gone on last. Felt that way even before WrestleMania 23. Such a shame The Undertaker's World Heavyweight Championship reign ended so soon with the bicep tear.

Edited by The Natural

7 hours ago, The Natural said:

Awesome! The best match of the Undertaker/Batista feud and by far the Match of the Night which should've gone on last. Felt that way even before WrestleMania 23. Such a shame The Undertaker's World Heavyweight Championship reign ended so soon with the bicep tear.

Apparently Batista & Taker had been going in on the assumption that they would be going on last (or close to it) and would have a whole bunch of match time. Then right before the show they found out they were going on 5th from top and had much less. So they cut all the rest spots out of their match plan and decided to go super balls out and steal the show.

• Like 4