DVDVR Message Board

WWE Finances, et al Discussion

As a follow up, in the observer this week Dave broke down Bellator's viewers, revenue, and loss/profit year by year for the last few years, and, wouldn't you know, they turned a profit for 2019 despite the cratering audience.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Technico Support said:

Company who treats employees poorly to be purchased by company who treats employees even worse.  MURICAAAAAAAAAA

tenor.gif

• Like 6
  • Haha 3

I'm sure Shane and Stephanie both love their dad and all, but you gotta think there's times they look at him costing them big chunks of money like this and think "Will you just fucking DIE already?"

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Robert s said:

This. I still cannot believe that how broken the new app (for PS4 at least) is and continues to be:

• I had to deactivate auto-play as way too often when doing a bit fast-forward, the app would accidentally jump to the end of the program and start the next show.
  • The "continue watching" bar (I am pretty sure the most important category for many users) sometimes is not even shown at all and usually displays only the last 2-3 shows. If you want to see your full history, you have to go via your personal settings and then you end up in a list that includes all episodes (incl. the ones you have finished watching).
  • The fast-forward thing is just a bad joke.
  • The organization of the content itself used to be a joke, I am not sure if they ever managed to improve that (a quick look on the web-version of the Network tells me that this is still broken).

Well that's disappointing to find that's still busted. Guess I'll just use Chromecast or Roku if I'm watching the Network in my basement.

17 minutes ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

Stock is still down. Rumors of them devaluing the network must have really spooked investors.

This is what Meltzer wrote in the WON that just came out

The uncertainty led to a big sell off as well and a downgrade of the value of the stock by Wall Street. The stock closed on 2/6 at $44.50 per share giving the company a value of $3.617 billion. At that price, the stock is greatly undervalued because even with the chaos and uncertainty, the television deals are locked in place and the new key deal they are talking about doing will increase revenue and both increase the value of the company’s major events in the marketplace, similar to what DAZN did for Bellator and ESPN did for UFC.

Morgan Stanley analyst Benjamin Swinburne, who cut his projected price value on WWE stock from $80 to $54 per share said that the loss of Barrios and Wilson with no transition period and no notice and minimal explanation has created uncertainty in the business. He noted that the company is now lacking senior leadership at the same time McMahon will be heavily occupied by the XFL.

He felt the stock price would remain pressured unless the company hires at least one well-known operating executive with a strong track record, and in a timely fashion.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Craig H said:

You'd think Vince would understand how much Wall Street hates volatility.

Problem is he can't help himself.  He wants that public company money while treating it like it's the same private company he's run by his own whims since the beginning.  Dude fired two C level execs with no warning or plan like they were Ultimate Warrior and Davey Boy.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

5 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

As a follow up, in the observer this week Dave broke down Bellator's viewers, revenue, and loss/profit year by year for the last few years, and, wouldn't you know, they turned a profit for 2019 despite the cratering audience.

Listening to the show he did with Garrett today, it sounds like Bellator might be at risk of losing that DAZN deal cause Dave said it's a big if that they can keep it. If DAZN makes a play (which I doubt because DAZN hasn't shown real interest in wrestling) for WWE, Bellator has to be the first thing to go to open up space. So does Bellator just go back to not getting any money from anyone besides sponsors and whatnot? That would be a big blow to them.

24 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

Listening to the show he did with Garrett today, it sounds like Bellator might be at risk of losing that DAZN deal cause Dave said it's a big if that they can keep it. If DAZN makes a play (which I doubt because DAZN hasn't shown real interest in wrestling) for WWE, Bellator has to be the first thing to go to open up space. So does Bellator just go back to not getting any money from anyone besides sponsors and whatnot? That would be a big blow to them.

I don't follow MMA closely but isn't Bellator owned by Viacom? Maybe they themselves would make a play and put it on MTV or CBS or Paramount?

On 2/6/2020 at 3:10 PM, Brian Fowler said:

You know what's funny? ROH had the best streaming service/ppv model in pro wrestling.

They have a ten dollar a month service. You get various live events and the ippvs for that price. Then they have four annual real ppv events, and those cost half price for subscribers. So a $40 show is really $30 out of pocket, plus you get extras. Of course, they also fumbled the ball badly on archival content. (And there's a VIP tier where you commit to the whole year and you get those four as part of the VIP package.

With ROH on the bounce back, I could see myself getting rid of either the WWE network or New Japan World. I don't have the time or the attention span for more than two Wrestling streaming services but if ROH can get me back invested in their product this might be something I would be interested in based on the next few months on tv.

1 minute ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

I don't follow MMA closely but isn't Bellator owned by Viacom? Maybe they themselves would make a play and put it on MTV or CBS or Paramount?

Interesting you bring that up because Coker was made a direct report to Stephen Espinoza who runs Showtime and that news came out less than a month ago. For those not in the know, Coker promoted UFC's main competitor Strikeforce and took over for EliteXC as Showtime's MMA partner when EliteXC folded several years ago. Then, Strikeforce was sold to Zuffa and then folded into the UFC so that ceased to exist. Coker was given a small job with UFC before ultimately going back to being a promoter and taking over for Bjorn Rebney who sold Bellator to Viacom.

I say that to say, in the press release or article with Coker's statements, he didn't sound too fucking jazzed to be associated in any way with Showtime or Espinoza. The whole reason he got the job with Bellator as their promoter or in the Dana White role is he briefly was able to compete with UFC while they (Strikeforce) were on Showtime. He didn't get it because he was a successful regional kickboxing promoter in San Jose prior to that. To me, that says a lot.

I mean Bellator is already on Paramount and the Paramount shows are also on DAZN in addition to all the DAZN exclusive shows, but again, I don't see all the people that once just watched on Paramount pre-DAZN flocking to DAZN in massive numbers.

It sounds to me that Coker knows his job is on the line if he can't turn this shit around. I mean over the last several months, he constantly takes jabs at UFC, how their shows or main events are disappointing, this and that. Coker has been around for years, and I never heard him take shots at anyone until now. To make it all worse, Dana White hasn't once responded back that I know of. Fucking Vince McMahon and Bob Arum rolled into one, big mouth promoter extraordinaire Dana White hasn't said not a word. And you can't say it's because of the class action monopoly lawsuit UFC has been embroiled in since 2014 because Dana buries Oscar De La Hoya six feet deep every chance he gets. Oscar tried getting into MMA which makes him a direct competitor. If Dana knows Bellator is so far behind it's not worth it, Coker is in big, big trouble. I mean I heard Greg Savage (a now former MMA journalist who covered MMA going back to the really early NHB days w/ Meltzer like connections in MMA) say when Coker took Bellator over that Viacom wanted Bellator to be what UFC was on Spike. Shit, he would have had trouble doing that when they were a closer distant number 2. He cannot possibly do that now. The entire environment for MMA has changed, and UFC just has too many resources and much more exposure.

I say all that to say that if you're doing 202,000 average on Paramount, there is no way... in the hell...you will be on CBS in any capacity. When Al Haymon in boxing did that massive timebuy on NBC, CBS, Fox, ESPN, and Spike for PBC when it was brand new four or five years ago, the ratings were average to okayish because you have to always throw that first number out really. You're never going to reach those levels again without superstars, which in turn put the PBC timebuy experiment to an end in favor of just Fox and Showtime paying them instead. Bellator really don't have the stars to put on CBS. In the EliteXC and Strikeforce days, there were people that UFC didn't have under contract like a Gina Carano and Kimbo Slice and a Nick Diaz. Well, Gina Carano hasn't fought since 2009 when Cyborg beat her up and sent her packing to Hollywood. Nick Diaz hasn't fought since 2011 and is still under UFC employ. Kimbo Slice died in 2016. Everybody else (like Fedor, Ken Shamrock, Chael, Rampage Jackson, Royce Gracie etc.) is too old and too washed up that would make a difference rating-wise. Fedor fought on the last show on Paramount against Rampage and that did bad. 

They were on MTV2 in the Bjorn Rebney days and the ratings were decent IIRC, but that was a lifetime ago in MMA. I don't see it making sense to put them on MTV. Ilima-Lei Macfarlane is attractive and could be a decent selling point for them to be on MTV, but I don't see second tier MMA being what MTV wants right now.

So the only feasible option in the Viacom family is Showtime since PBC only can so many shows on Showtime with their big priority being Fox, Fox PPV, and FS1 shows. That opens up plenty of Saturdays to do a card. But again, would that make much sense now with no stars at all really? Also, if Coker and Espinoza had some type of falling out or Coker doesn't want Espinoza (who definitely has a 50-50 rep with anyone who works with him) to be his boss, I don't see that going too well. I mean Coker already seems on fucking edge as it. They have to create a star or a semblance of a star to be in a bigger spot. Can't put the cart before the horse.

• Thanks 2

The only way I can get into another MMA promotion, and back into MMA in general is if we get a new version of WEC again. Tiny caged rings, smaller buildings, and lighter weights. Folding WEC into UFC was the start of me turning on the UFC.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs

4 minutes ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

The only way I can get into another MMA promotion, and back into MMA in general is if we get a new version of WEC again. Tiny caged rings, smaller buildings, and lighter weights. Folding WEC into UFC was the start of me turning on the UFC.

There are more fights from 115 (women) to 155 than there were in the WEC days so I'm not sure what you mean. Plus, there is more talent in those divisions now than there was in the WEC days. WEC was basically the transition era.

The small vs. big cage thing really is irrelevant. There were more fight of the year candidates (granted UFC runs more shows now) in the last 2-3 years than in 2008-2010. Hell, you don't even have to use UFC as an example. Most everyone else uses a regulation size cage now with probably the only difference being the number of sides. Ain't made one lick of difference in terms of entertainment quality. Besides, they used the smaller cage for TUF back when they still did it and a lot of those fights sucked ass. It's the talent that makes the fight. It goes back to the ring vs. the cage. The only big difference is the sight lines. Other that, the cage (or "Octagon") is a better choice for a company to use.

Smaller buildings...I mean everyone that ain't the UFC runs smaller buildings except Rizin and probably ONE. There isn't much clamor for those companies. Anyway, a lot of the times outside of Vegas, WEC always ran mid size venues. UFC doesn't run 20k seaters unless it's a city they've never been to or a decent sized media market or international market. They only run NYC twice a year (Barclays Center & MSG obviously). They only go to Houston or Dallas once a year. They run Chicago every June. Then you add in three or four shows at T-Mobile. Everything else is in a more mid size venue (or to be a little more specific, none of these giant, newer basketball arenas). Their next two shows in the US are at Santa Ana Star Center (which hosted a WEC event headlined by Carlos Condit in 2008) which is at 7,500 capacity and Chartway Arena in Norfolk, VA. The latter seats 9,100. So that's not really accurate.

Plus, they sell tickets usually. I mean they just did a show in Raleigh that had a really high gate and pretty packed (14,533 in PNC Arena for a gate of $1.3 million). Why would you run a smaller venue? Just to make it more intimate. I don't think companies operate like that.

Speaking of the anti-trust lawsuit and what @Brian Fowler brought up with the finances of Bellator.

Here is a table John S. Nash from Bloody Elbow got from the lawsuit.

0.jpeg

Good lord. And that's pre ESPN when it comes to UFC.

Under Scott Coker’s management Bellator’s fortunes have taken a dramatic turn for the better (even as their ratings have plummeted), with the promotion having seen 20% growth or more in revenue every year. Net income, after seeing losses hit -$18.8 million in 2015 — Coker’s first full year 

In 2018, net income was -$5 million, Bellator’s best year to date. And projections made in 2018, just after they signed their DAZN deal, showed a positive net income in 2019 and 2020, as revenues were expected to explode.

Bellator’s optimism was based on continued expansion of international markets (expected to be close to 1/4th of all revenues by 2019 — more than 2016’s total revenues) and the signing of a broadcast deal with DAZN that is to pay them more than $35 million a year. According to sources with Bellator, the contract is for 3 years with an additional 2 option years if DAZN decides to extend the deal.

Internal Viacom projections from when the deal was made show Bellator’s revenues rising to $80 million in 2019 and $100 million by 2020, with almost all this revenue contractual. Net income was also projected to be positive for both those years, while fighters’ share of revenue was to remain “around 50%.”

Meeting these projections would make Bellator the most successful non-UFC MMA promotion, with regards to revenues and income, since Pride FC. Even so, with the UFC also seeing growth, Bellator’s total revenues will remain at 1/10th those of their rivals.

Link to the full article.

Edited by Elsalvajeloco

4 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

Fuck it...WWE should ask DAZN for 3 billion a year. It's only fair.

As Dave was pointing out on WOR with Garrett, AEW is doing significantly better in viewers than Bellator right now.

Just now, Brian Fowler said:

As Dave was pointing out on WOR with Garrett, AEW is doing significantly better in viewers than Bellator right now.

I think on the show, they were talking about how AEW could do their PPVs on DAZN because of that or at least the handing money out frivolously part.

I just went back and searched the old AEW threads (using DAZN as the search term which brings up the other applicable streaming services) from this time last year and just prior to Double or Nothing. I don't think my opinion has changed one bit looking back at these old posts. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

There are more fights from 115 (women) to 155 than there were in the WEC days so I'm not sure what you mean. Plus, there is more talent in those divisions now than there was in the WEC days. WEC was basically the transition era.

The small vs. big cage thing really is irrelevant. There were more fight of the year candidates (granted UFC runs more shows now) in the last 2-3 years than in 2008-2010. Hell, you don't even have to use UFC as an example. Most everyone else uses a regulation size cage now with probably the only difference being the number of sides. Ain't made one lick of difference in terms of entertainment quality. Besides, they used the smaller cage for TUF back when they still did it and a lot of those fights sucked ass. It's the talent that makes the fight. It goes back to the ring vs. the cage. The only big difference is the sight lines. Other that, the cage (or "Octagon") is a better choice for a company to use.

It just felt like everything was much more razor focused on them when they had a whole promotion, and channel devoted to them. Now they feel devalued just being another belt, and weight division in the UFC. Something like Urijah Faber being on a Florida Turnpike billboard as the spokesman for a energy drink wouldn’t have happened if he was in the UFC. Being the top star of the WEC caused that.

I disagree on the size of the ring. The best UFC Fight Nights were happening at The Palm inside the smaller octagons. The cage being closer really pushed the pace of the action, and created more of a scramble between both fighters to avoid bumping into the cage during a slugfest. 

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs