DVDVR Message Board

WWE Finances, et al Discussion

32 minutes ago, Craig H said:

I'm so close to cancelling my subscription because NXT is on USA. It was the one thing I would watch regularly on the Network, but I may as well save the money and just temporarily subscribe when there's a Takeover or a big PPV like Wrestlemania or Summer Slam or if there's ever a PPV with a good build to it. 

I accidentally cancelled mine because someone stole my identity (though I dunno who the hell would wanna be me) so I never updated my payment info. I haven't missed it really. NXT is on USA, I don't watch the main shows so PPVs no longer interest me, and if I wanna watch old WCW I just hit up YouTube or go over to @Hoarrs site and go down the rabbit hole of clips

• Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

There is no boom period coming, unless wrestling has found its next great star, and Vince doesn’t hurt him in the service of “Protecting” his company.

I don't see any way Vince can mess up Orange Cassidy's rise to stardom.

• Haha 1

For the record - the WWE stock did start climbing again

Depending on what Vince says at the 11 am call will probably determine which direction it goes for the rest of the day.

And also proves that it is all just made up bullshit too

I still subscribe to the network and enjoy it as background noise. However, the issue with the network is you can't be everywhere.  There is a cause and effect. If you expand tv programming and water everything down, there is going to be less of a demand for additional programming on the network.  How much attention is being paid to producing programming which people actually want to pay for on the network? 

While I enjoy John Morrison rambling about his return for an hour as much as the next person (I particularly enjoyed him thinking he was re-debuting in the rumble and planning out his big move only to come back on Smackdown and get tossed by Brock) what is there to watch outside of the old ppvs?

I am curious if it gets brought up that the new relaunched Network actually broke things way worse than the old one.

I know more than one person who cancelled because they were like "I got tired not being able to fast forward"

• Like 3

If they're looking to save the Network, removing the PPV's isn't going to do it.  That genie is already out of the bottle.  No one is going to shell out $40 and up monthly for glorified RAW's when we've been getting them for $10 plus the Network stuff.  The reason AEW, RoH, and Impact get away with it is they only do 4 a year and they're big deals.  Outside of the Themed gimmick matches and possibly Mania, there' snothing special about the current PPV's.

• Like 3

Vince said that they could announce a "OTT deal" (ie: a partnership for the streaming rights) could be announced by the end of first quarter

"That's how far along we are"

So basically the question becomes do they blow up the Network pre-Mania or post-Mania (obviously pre-Mania makes the most sense)

Putting PPVs on the network was such an incredibly boneheaded move to begin with.  Then they had the "free for new subscribers" option which was/is exploited to high hell.  If they go and take the PPVs off that then they may as well shut the damn thing down or make it cheaper.  The tiered system won't happen as intended if at all and they'd need to do something so they don't further piss off the existing users.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

Vince said that they could announce a "OTT deal" (ie: a partnership for the streaming rights) could be announced by the end of first quarter

"That's how far along we are"

So basically the question becomes do they blow up the Network pre-Mania or post-Mania (obviously pre-Mania makes the most sense)

Only thing with PPV rights is that all ESPN+ gets is the PPV’s, and nothing else. This wouldn’t be like them purchasing the UFC rights. Basically this won’t sniff the FOX deal. But it still might briefly help the stock. 

My new favorite thing is that Vince has been asked at least a half dozen times some version of "Are you sure the WWE and XFL are separate"?

So you know he is fucking stewing getting asked over and over so now I hope he keeps getting asked and finally blows up

• Like 4

Just now, D.Z said:

Vince said AEW has not changed WWE's content.

No disagreement there. Everyone who was thinking "competition makes Vince work better, AEW existing will improve RAW" has to be bitterly disappointed now. Same old same as always.

• Haha 1

It's a risk taking their $10 million of guaranteed money, and taking the main selling point of the Network away and selling it for $60 a pop and hope people pay for it when they haven't made anything outside of Rumble and Mania worth the money in 6 years.

• Like 2

Most of the info below

https://corporate.wwe.com/investors/news/press-releases/2020/02-06-2020-132933376

Vince is playing the long game, he expects better results and more growth over time. The recent changes are because of to fix tv ratings, trying to improve the stock, opening more avenues to get more money.

They don't fear AEW. Makes sense when you see AEW has lower attendances and tv ratings.

Edited by D.Z

46 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

I am curious if it gets brought up that the new relaunched Network actually broke things way worse than the old one.

I know more than one person who cancelled because they were like "I got tired not being able to fast forward"

I'm not going to lie, but the other reason I might cancel is because every fucking time I go to launch the Network in browser or on my Roku I have to log back in. Browser stuff makes sense because sometimes cookies get deleted or whatever, but having to re-log back in on streaming devices sucks.

Oh, that and having every PPV or Takeover spoiled when I start from beginning and it immediately shoots to the end of the show or goes to the live portion or if I'm fast forwarding it jumps to the end when I hit play again.

• Like 1