DVDVR Message Board

NXT Takeover Portland - 2/16/2020

Dolfan in NYC

8 minutes ago, hammerva said:

I will say it again as much as we find these main event matches exhausting and ponderous the crowd live as these shows are loving them.  Even the Cole vs Gargano feud was full of 45 minute nonsense at times got great reactions. 

It helps that these shows are only 2 1/2 hours long.  If NXT ran 4 hour shows like the WWE main shows I am sure the opinions would be different

Which is why them expanding to six matches and running over 3 hours feels like a bad idea. 

I liked every match on this show (the main could've definitely been shorter though) but I was tired by the end of it (granted, yesterday was also one of the worst days of my life, so there's that, which is no fault of anything on the show.)

I really liked the first Gargano/Cole match from New York, and the first Gargano/Ciampa match from whichever TakeOver that was, but those both had significant diminishing returns, and I don't think Cole/Ciampa wound up nearly as good as either of those.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Ziggy said:

Bringing new people isn't going to change the format that HHH and Shawn want to fill out these Takeovers. They their version of a PPV., long drawn out matches and 25 to 45 minutes main events. I'm sure Shawn wishes he got to have as much time in his match on top as these guys get. Even when Hunter has his matches its 30 minutes easy. Nothing is going to change 

True. I wish I could argue. I used to love Takeovers and now they are made with a cookie cutter.

• Like 2

The last Takeover that didn't have the same formula was Respect in October of 2015. Semis and Finals of Dusty Classic on the same show, Asuka squashing Dana Brooke, and Sasha/Bayley Ironwoman match as the main. They just rotate wrestlers often enough that shows still feel somewhat fresh year to year.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, For Great Justice said:

I feel like NXT really needs a Goldberg/Lesnar formula main event to reset expectations. But I wonder how the live crowd would react on WM weekend if, making this up for the sake of argument, Lee/WALTER went 6 minutes balls out?

I'm working through a history of PPV with my boys (ages 13 & 11) and we are almost through Mania 31.

That Lenar v Reigns Main Event goes less than 20 mins, INCLUDING the MITB finish!

Lord help me, I miss Roode v Nakamura & Nakamura v Joe in the main events.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, L_W_P said:

I'm working through a history of PPV with my boys (ages 13 & 11) and we are almost through Mania 31.

That Lenar v Reigns Main Event goes less than 20 mins, INCLUDING the MITB finish!

Lord help me, I miss Roode v Nakamura & Nakamura v Joe in the main events.

That's one of the best WrestleMania main events ever, Brock Lesnar vs. Roman Reigns at WrestleMania XXXI. My 2015 worldwide Match of the Year. Its a WrestleMania I'm fond off from top to bottom. I can understand why some didn't like the MITB cash-in, for me it didn't detract from the great work Lesnar and Reigns gave/put in...Then again it lead to Seth Rollins long ass WWE Championship reign.

• Thanks 1

I got to watch up to the Street Fight this morning.

That opener....what story were they telling?

And I get that the in-ring guys have the "Just two big guys throwing bombs" excuse.

The commentary was horrible in that regard. Just guys trying to get their shit in. Mauro's dumb loud catch phrases. Nigel getting his preprepared talking points in with no real structure or timing to anything. And Beth just wanting to be heard...and she's absolutely terrible when she can't bring it back to talking about herself. Oh yep, you didn't have a match in Ohio Valley with either of these two way back when? 

It was a poorly structured match in the context of a great spectacle. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Something else that bugged me about the main event and those angles in general - I hate it when the friend who is about to turn costs their soon to be former friend a title match. It makes no sense. In this case, Johnny just lost to Finn so unless something happens, LIKE HIM TURNING ON CIAMPA AFTER CIAMPA WINS, then Johnny is further away from a title shot and another championship reign. To me, it would make more sense for Johnny to help Ciampa win, THEN turn on Ciampa so Ciampa wants a match against Johnny because Johnny ruined his moment and Johnny will only grant the match if the title is on the line. BE AN OPPORTUNIST!

And again, this doesn't just go for the main event at Takeover, it goes for a lot of these angles. Help the dude win, then turn on them to ruin their moment, then take their championship.

As I finished watching Takeover I wound up really like Rhea vs Bianca, the tag match, and probably the first 15 to 20 minutes of the main event. Even watching those three matches exhausted me and all of the overbooking, kickouts, finisher spamming, and more, basically the Takeover Main Event Style, just took me out of it. The one and only time I really liked someone going into zombie mode in a title match was Gargano vs Andrade. Andrade fucking murdered him, couldn't put Johnny away, Andrade then had to up the violence to win. This style should have died with that match because I don't think it was done better. Ever since then it's been kind of a bummer to know what to expect going in.

• Like 4

51 minutes ago, Craig H said:

Something else that bugged me about the main event and those angles in general - I hate it when the friend who is about to turn costs their soon to be former friend a title match. It makes no sense. In this case, Johnny just lost to Finn so unless something happens, LIKE HIM TURNING ON CIAMPA AFTER CIAMPA WINS, then Johnny is further away from a title shot and another championship reign. To me, it would make more sense for Johnny to help Ciampa win, THEN turn on Ciampa so Ciampa wants a match against Johnny because Johnny ruined his moment and Johnny will only grant the match if the title is on the line. BE AN OPPORTUNIST!

And again, this doesn't just go for the main event at Takeover, it goes for a lot of these angles. Help the dude win, then turn on them to ruin their moment, then take their championship.

TC cost Gargano the title like 17 times.  That bald piece of shit had it coming.  

• Like 1

On 2/18/2020 at 12:44 AM, Edwin said:

I'd rather they keep those guys as far as possible from Cole. Aside from Dream, I really have no interest in another Gargano, Ciampa or Finn title match.

Finn has really done nothing I've enjoyed in NXT since he returned.

Yep. I'm just not sure who (outside of Dream) is fresh enough to go 1 on 1 with Cole.

Even then, we just know that match is going to be 30-40 mins of lockouts and crazy spots.

I'd much rather we get a big multiman cluster fuck to totally clear out this era of main eventers, crown Dream, and build around raising up Lee, Riddle, Dunne etc over the next 12-24 months.

2 hours ago, L_W_P said:

Yep. I'm just not sure who (outside of Dream) is fresh enough to go 1 on 1 with Cole.

Even then, we just know that match is going to be 30-40 mins of lockouts and crazy spots.

I'd much rather we get a big multiman cluster fuck to totally clear out this era of main eventers, crown Dream, and build around raising up Lee, Riddle, Dunne etc over the next 12-24 months.

I kind of expect WWE to have their own version of New Japan's double gold dash at some point, so let WALTER go after Adam Cole.

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie

On 2/17/2020 at 11:04 PM, Go2Sleep said:

The last Takeover that didn't have the same formula was Respect in October of 2015. Semis and Finals of Dusty Classic on the same show, Asuka squashing Dana Brooke, and Sasha/Bayley Ironwoman match as the main. They just rotate wrestlers often enough that shows still feel somewhat fresh year to year.

I didn't notice until 2017 or when DIY split and feuded over the title. Takeover Respect felt different because alot of the top women got called up around that time as well as a few guys. It wasn't the same formula it is right now, it felt like alot of star power was gone for a while but it was still fun and great Takeovers