DVDVR Message Board

NXT Takeover Portland - 2/16/2020

Dolfan in NYC

I hate spam finisher matches. Cole hit a Sunrise on the floor on the outside. 3 minutes later it's like it never happened as Chiampa is right back up and delivering offense. That should've been a death move. Imagine Randy Savage ramming Ricky Steamboat's throat into the railing and less than 5 minutes later Steamboat is on the top rope hitting Savage with the crossbody. I don't wanna sound like an out of touch old timing, but it just don't make sense. And after all that, a weak belt shot is enough to keep Chiampa down. 

No, I did not like the main event

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

I wasn't super excited going into this show. I'm bored of Cole, Ciampa, and Gargano. tThe Broserweights are good but they aren't doing it for me for some reason, they're both singles guys and this side quest into the tag scene seems mostly to give them something to do. I've seen Lee/Dijakovic a number of times now and while they're always impressive they aren't the greatest matches.

Nox/Kai and Ripley/Belair were great though, both hard hitting, well worked, and smartly booked. What's next for Bianca though? Maybe a more personal feud, I don't think she's done one of those yet.

This I think sums up NXT Takeovers perfectly.

I think I'm at the point where I enjoy NXT on Wednesdays more than Takeovers because of everything we've all complained about. Something needs to change. It used to be where I looked forward to Takeovers a ton, but now I totally forgot there was a Takeover yesterday until after the show was over and I felt so bored by the endless kickouts in the Finn match. And I'm sure as hell not looking forward to more Gargano vs Ciampa, but with their roles reversed this time.

41 minutes ago, MonteCarl said:

I hate spam finisher matches. Cole hit a Sunrise on the floor on the outside. 3 minutes later it's like it never happened as Chiampa is right back up and delivering offense. 

It wasn't even three minutes, it was like... 15 seconds. He was rolled into the ring, hit a DDT when Cole followed, then his Double Underhook move for two. I'm definetly with you on not liking it. 

• Like 2

I like the epic format, but it seems like the more creative liberties performers have gotten the more they're missing the mark on when to execute the finish. Gargano was really good at finding it. Zayn too. I don't know what's happened. Maybe Adam Cole sucks?

I blame Shawn Michaels

Edited by Rehabilitated Rick

Nox and Kai have really good chemistry. I really like heel Dakota and Nox brought the fire here. Glad Nox doesn't seem too hurt from one of the scarier "I am the table" bumps in recent memory.

Balor/Gargano worked out really well being in the middle of the card. It kept the match more subdued with gradual escalation, utilized counters more than kick outs for drama, and had a good clean finish at the right time. This is what should be the main event style.

The show was diminishing returns after those matches. The tag title match was good, but it should've been on a different show to stand out more. The main event was the bad kind of overkill, and the big angle setup didn't redeem it at all. Heel Gargano is 2 years overdue, and the ship has sailed, docked, unloaded, rotted, and been decommissioned on the Gargano/Ciampa feud.

• Like 2

On 2/16/2020 at 2:47 PM, Robert s said:

I hope that UE retain their tag team titles, just because "Broserweight" might be the worst tag team name in WWE history. Even The Viking Experience was not as bad.

I'm a bit late with this, but... you're backing "Undisputed Era" because their opponents have a stupid name? "Undisputed Era"????

Broserweights is a great name because it's stupid and half-assed, and exactly something Matt "How many fish..." Riddle's character would think is an awesome name. "Joint Manipulation" would be a hell of a lot better, but their whole gimmick is Dunne being endlessly subjected to Riddle's embarrassing stoner antics and only putting up with it because they work well together in the ring.

To that end, the double miscommunication was the most believable near fall on the show, since the logical fallout of Dunne turning and a singles match at Tampa would've made perfect sense. I think the team has a lot more mileage left, though.

3 hours ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

You mean where she can get jobbed out to Lacey Evans.. 

Both of them are homegrown talents and started at the same time but Vince snatched her up way too soon because he liked her background. I think Lacey actually plays her role well as a heel and she has a couple of unique moves but she's terrible in the ring. Its not her fault she didn't get to spend more time in the main circuit of NXT long enough. Bianca is like Velveteen Dream, she's ready for the other two brands but I'm not sure they'd know how to use her. I'm fine with them staying in NXT. 

I know those Street Profits segments are not good but when I do catch them they seem to be more Over than most the roster. I wish they stayed in NXT longer though 

3 hours ago, Six String Orchestra said:

NXT really needs some new blood. How many more formulaic 30+ minute matches can they do? Those early takeovers were fun because we didn't get "epics" every time. 

Bringing new people isn't going to change the format that HHH and Shawn want to fill out these Takeovers. They their version of a PPV., long drawn out matches and 25 to 45 minutes main events. I'm sure Shawn wishes he got to have as much time in his match on top as these guys get. Even when Hunter has his matches its 30 minutes easy. Nothing is going to change 

8 minutes ago, For Great Justice said:

I feel like NXT really needs a Goldberg/Lesnar formula main event to reset expectations. But I wonder how the live crowd would react on WM weekend if, making this up for the sake of argument, Lee/WALTER went 6 minutes balls out?

My thought after last night was they needed to show that Goldberg/Lesnar match on loop at the PC.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

Am I wrong in thinking that maybe Tegan and Dakota was match of the night? 

Read the rest of the thread. A lot of folks have that match as their MOTN.

One of my favorite Takeover matches ever is Dream vs. K.O. where they built a story around Dream scoring a knockout.  NXT needs that kind of unpredictability brought back into the fold.   

Even as I was watching Balor/Gargano which I liked..  I felt like ok they are going to go 15+ minutes and then they'll get into their second act which has nothing to do with the first.

56 minutes ago, JonnyLaw said:

My thought after last night was they needed to show that Goldberg/Lesnar match on loop at the PC.

Instead it’s Hunter and Shawn 3 stages of hell while Gargano, Ciampa and Cole scribble notes furiously.

In particular if Riddle, Dream or Lee are their next guy they need to do sprints. Who wants a 30 minute Velveteen Dream match? Riddle’s offense is built for the Goldberg formula.

1 hour ago, For Great Justice said:

I feel like NXT really needs a Goldberg/Lesnar formula main event to reset expectations. But I wonder how the live crowd would react on WM weekend if, making this up for the sake of argument, Lee/WALTER went 6 minutes balls out?

I agree with the spirit of this post, but Walter is one of the few guys they have that knows how to work a compelling 30 minute match.

I will say it again as much as we find these main event matches exhausting and ponderous the crowd live as these shows are loving them.  Even the Cole vs Gargano feud was full of 45 minute nonsense at times got great reactions. 

It helps that these shows are only 2 1/2 hours long.  If NXT ran 4 hour shows like the WWE main shows I am sure the opinions would be different