DVDVR Message Board

NXT Takeover Portland - 2/16/2020

Dolfan in NYC

8 hours ago, hammerva said:

As much as I find the NXT main event to be extremely exhausting at times, the crowd lives love every second of it.   So you have to go with it.  It is the wrestling equivalent of that  "Happy" song by Pharrell years ago.  Yeah it was played 25 times a day but the people enjoyed it so fuck it play it 35 tiimes a day

The biggest flaw in this analogy? Radio stations did eventually stop playing "Happy" after it wore itself out. There's no sign of NXT's booking or matches doing anything new or interesting anywhere on the card. Where's the next big hit? Who knows, because we aren't going to play any other song but "Happy," over and over, until the end of time. 

7 hours ago, Eivion said:

Bianca should be nowhere near Raw. She would basically be DOA being on the same brand as Becky, Charlotte, & Shayna. If they were smart they would move her up to Smackdown post Wrestlmania to eventually win the belt there.

The only reason why I think they'd move her RAW is because of Montez Ford, if they to a draft and switch the Street Profits then I could see her going to Smackdown, but honestly Heyman doesn't want to lose the Street Profits and I don't think they'd fair too well on SD

• Like 1

Something I should've noticed forever ago hit me tonight while I was watching this show and trying to distract myself from the hell my life is right this second:

Dominick Dijakovic is the exact wrestler Sean O'Hare should've been. Like, if you remember the Green Mile/Natural Born Thrillers in WCW, DD would've fit in perfectly. Tall, incredible physique, but fairly generic looking. Dijak is obviously a much better wrestler than they O'Hare, Palumbo, Stasiak, and Jindrak were, but he looks like he's literally off the same assembly line. Only, he actually has reached his potential.

Anyway, 3 hours is really long for Takeover, but there were no matches I didn't like, so thumbs up at least.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

At this point, I assume Dream runs through UE with the Broserweights as backup and takes the title from Cole, then they run Dream/Balor in the summer. They've got a few other guys at this point that could use the validation of a title reign - Lee, Riddle, Dunne - but no one other than Dream with an obvious path to get there. I understand the logic behind the long title reigns, but having Cole and Shayna (and Asuka before that) beat everybody really hurt a lot of folks who have ended up on the midcard treadmill.

5 hours ago, L_W_P said:

I'd love it if we could get some sort of multi man match with Cole defending against Gargano, Ciampa, Balor & Dream. Maybe add Keith Lee in there on a quest to be a double champion.

Anything but another 40 minute 1 on 1 "epic". Ladder Match maybe?

I'd rather they keep those guys as far as possible from Cole. Aside from Dream, I really have no interest in another Gargano, Ciampa or Finn title match.

Finn has really done nothing I've enjoyed in NXT since he returned.

Edited by Edwin

The North American Title match didn't do much for me. Although, I have to give them both props for being able to move around like for being such big guys.

I fucking loved the women's street fight. All I could think about was Foley and Funk's scene in 'Beyond the Mat' with Terry saying "The more you hurt each other, the more money you make. The more money you make, the better friends you are!" The ending sucked, but I supposed they needed an out since Teagen had beaten her on TV already.

Finn vs Gagano did nothing for me. These two combined didn't show one percent of the emotion that Dakota Kai or Teagen Nox did, until toward the end when Finn found his grove and seemed like he wanted to end Johnny's career. Cornette is exactly right about Gargano, he only has one facial expression.

I liked the women's title match, it felt competitive and had a clever finish.

I really liked the tag titles match, especially with the teases of Dunne and Riddle losing because of miscommunication. I was expecting Riddle to turn heel on him, and make Dunn look like the UK Sting.

Adam Cole is one of my favorites, but I'm beyond done with these same thirty minute and longer main events. They've been having them since the first Gargano vs. Ciampa match, which was almost two years ago. They could have gotten one up on AEW by having the Panama sunrise on the floor lead to a finish for Cole, since the All Elite boys seem to want to run that spot into the ground. But, instead they just kept going, and after too many teases of too many better finishes, they went with the ref bump and rebooting  Johnny vs. Tomasso for what feels like the umpteenth time. 

If nothing else, the way Mauro kept yammering about how many days Cole had been champion made me look things up, and he's about a month shy of toppign Finn Balor's record, which makes me think that he's going to break it, since the next Takeover is 'Mania weekend in April. The Cole fan in me is OK with that. 

Edited by Mike Campbell

I fell asleep during Ripley's match, woke up, had Cole vs Ciampa spoiled for me, and thought yeah, I don't feel like watching the rest of this. 3 hours is way too long for an NXT PPV. And as much of a fan I am of Adam Cole, I don't care to watch another match where dudes should be fucking dead and the match never ends, not to mention doing Gargano vs Ciampa AGAIN. 

• Like 2

Nox/Kai was the kind of hate I like to see in a grudge match. That last table spot scared the Hell out of me too but looks like she’s okay. Raquel and Dakota have potential as a unit. 

I never once thought Bianca was winning but I still enjoyed the match against Rhea. Loved her gear and love the love that she, Naomi, and Ember give each other on social media. Fantastic to see. 

Edited by Jamal

1 hour ago, Mike Campbell said:

The North American Title match didn't do much for me. Although, I have to give them both props for being able to move around like for being such big guys.

I honestly had that exact feeling. And despite the impressing agility, I think lots of the stuff looked awkward.

I wish people would stop turning their back towards their opponents when they hit the ropes. Major pet peeve for me. 

I understand the flex of wanting to showcase the absurd amount of athleticism Lee and Dijak have for their size, but some of those spots were bordering on life threateningly dangerous. The impulse of wanting to top their previous matches caused them to dance over the line of what's acceptable and what's out of their comfort zone and it showed. If it wasn't for the crowd being so hot, the presentation would have stuck out a lot more than it did. They've had better matches. This one wasn't it. 

Balor CRUSHED Gargano with the GDG.

Enjoyed everything except the main event.  Bullshit finish.  I don't even know how it makes sense.  And I'm pretty done with Adam Cole.  Bianca should've won.  You can't let her wear a Black History in the Making gear and not have her make Black History. Who's booking this, Triple H? 

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

I really do not like Keith Lee vs. Djokovich matches. People would be pooping all over them if those guys were 175 pounds each. They are ridiculously big and agile but a dude hitting his finisher off the top should be a death move. This looked a lot like an exhibition and not a contest.

I loved Dakota/Tegan. Great heated brawl and it looked legit hate filled. That ending was fine because the heel is going over and you need to do it in a way so the face gets it stolen. Not bad to have a run-in finish like that, especially as it adds in a new character into the mix.

Balor generally put me to sleep in his first NXT run. Gargano irritates me to no end but had been in so many all-timers that I do not care about unless I like his opponent. I was expecting to not dig this match but I really liked it a lot. It had a great slow build into a fun finish. I loved Finn’s bad sportsmanship at the end. Great heeling by rubbing his victory in the face of Gargano.

I really love Bianca Belair. I just don’t think she is quite there yet. She sometimes lacks presence. She has it a lot of times — the Rumble, that awesome promo with Charlotte and Rhea. But she lacks it in matches sometimes. It is kind of the same arc the Street Profits has in that they were always just missing one little thing and then they found it right when they were about to get called up. Bianca did not look like she belonged in the same ring as Rhea and Charlotte. They just came off as huge stars. Bianca is about six months away from being there. 

That tag match was fun. I have not see the Broswrweights too much but that was a super fun match between four very good professional wrestlers. I love a good mismatched partners set.

Did not see the main and probably won’t.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Ziggy said:

The only reason why I think they'd move her RAW is because of Montez Ford, if they to a draft and switch the Street Profits then I could see her going to Smackdown, but honestly Heyman doesn't want to lose the Street Profits and I don't think they'd fair too well on SD

They aren't exactly doing well on Raw. Their segments range from  mildly amusing to utterly terrible, leaning more often towards terrible. Most of the time it feels like Heyman isn't actually sure what to do with them. He just knows Ford is super charismatic so he wants him.

14 hours ago, For Great Justice said:

I loved the ending of Balor/Gargano. In this era of excess, most notably with one of the two dudes in this match, ending is just dropping the guy like a sack of shit and pinning him 1, 2, 3. That was great. More of it, please.

This was the only match I caught last night, as I randomly tuned in at the beginning and watched it start to finish. Surprised more people aren't talking about that finish. I've complained about Johnny Kickout as much as anybody, but credit where it's due: That was a decisive finish that ended the match at the right moment. Good stuff.

Edited by West Newbury Bad Boy
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Eivion said:

Bianca should be nowhere near Raw. She would basically be DOA being on the same brand as Becky, Charlotte, & Shayna. If they were smart they would move her up to Smackdown post Wrestlmania to eventually win the belt there.

You mean where she can get jobbed out to Lacey Evans.. 

31 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

You mean where she can get jobbed out to Lacey Evans.. 

Because so many others are jobbing to Lacey right now? As the new girl Bianca would likely be booked above the older ones like Lacey was.

16 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

They pretend once a year (On MLK Day) that they are all inclusive. 

Not sure what that has to do with Bianca who designs her own gear for Takeovers.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Eivion said:

Not sure what that has to do with Bianca who designs her own gear for Takeovers.

The point is she was never going over and never has..  she's lost every opportunity she has had so now she's a loser and the reason why is because she doesn't fit what they feel a star looks like. 

I really feel like the old man yelling at the cloud here.

Dakota Kai vs Tegan Nox I seriously got overhyped for. There were parts that felt like a grudge match, but some stuff like Nox's facial expressions looked weak. And maybe I'm too uninspired and/or blind, but I never realized Dakota going for the knee, which imo would have been a perfect Set up for the final stretch where Tegan Nox got to attack Dakota's knee. 

Balor has to stop with that posing for his entrance. It's probably not what wrestling is about anymore, but goddamn...could stuff be a little more... organic? Fits the match for the most part aswell, some stuff looked like (decently executed) dance Routine, Balor's submissions were really awkward looking. Weirdest moment of the match was Gargano posing twice for the same move with Balor countering TWICE with a Sling Blade. Does the pose supercharge the move or something? The stomp was great and should have been the Finish. 

Bianca Belair is a fantastic athlete, her being a little more "facey" suits her way better. She is awful as heel with all the flashy and dynamic shit. Ripley looks like an absolute star and the Machine seems to be behind her, I therefore fully expect the crowd to turn on her soon. Maybe a significant part has already. Match was well done, not too much overkill, fine finish, good showcase for both women. Charlotte's attack on Belair means Bianca isn't a mere afterthought. 

That Bobby Fish nursery rhyme was incredibly awful, could have easily been a part of a main roster show. So far nothing has convinced me that Matt Riddle should be a top guy, but his hot Tag was good. Why is Pete Dunne grabbing single fingers in clear sight of the ref? Take the whole hand, single fingers only when the ref is with your opponent. Really not my kind of match.

Main Event started great, then went into ridiculous territories where both kicked out of everything under the sun, not selling anything and shit falling apart. 

Edited by ReiseReise