DVDVR Message Board

NXT Takeover Portland - 2/16/2020

Dolfan in NYC

Lee/Dijakovic was fantastic and probably the best match the two have had against each other yet in WWE. I'm not sure why the hell it opened the show.

Kai/Nox was pretty danm good, and I'm so happy I was wrong about Nox winning. Kai earned that shit with what she took in this one. This was easily the best either woman has looked in NXT. Was nice to see Gonzalez finally debut though holy shit was that double chokeslam into the table terrible to see. Its always worse when the table doesn't break like that. I would assume the newly named Raquel would be Kai's heavy if not for the fact that Kai looked absolutely confused.

Balor/Gargano was great and the best match I an recall Finn having in NXT. 

Rhea/Bianca was good. The match with Toni from Worlds Collide had me worried, but Rhea stepped up nicely and looked great here. The post match attack from Charlotte was nice. I like that she didn't forget about Bianca and made sure to cheap shot her on her way out. Really hope we get Charlotte/Bianca on NXT tv before Wrestlemania.

Broserweights/ReDragon was unsurprisingly good. For a second they actually made me think Dunne and Riddle would lose so kudos to them.

Thought Ciampa/Cole was actually building into something great until they went into the high levels of excess Cole's major matches tend to have. The Gargano turn was just dumb, unnecessary, and really makes me want to see Gargano moved up just to get his ass away from NXT for a year.

Dug everything a good deal up until the main event. Lee/Dijakovic was probably MOTN for me though I could see arguments for Kai/Nox or Balor/Gargano as well. Great show overall even with the disappointing end.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Overly Critical Man said:

I’d rather see another Cena/Orton match than Ciampa/Gargano again.

I have tickets for TakeOver and I'm already checked out thinking I have to sit through another big Ciampa/Gargano match and another big Cole title defense main event.

34 minutes ago, The Natural said:

Cole/Ciampa. Too OTT, little selling, too long, finisher kickouts and looks like we get Gargano vs. Ciampa resume from when it was left with Ciampa's neck surgery. I thought that series should've been put to bed when that happened, Gargano beating Cole for the vacant NXT Championship and Ciampa celebrating with Johnny/Candice. Least favourite match on the show.

I had those complaints with the Cole/Gargano series. I might have liked Cole/Ciampa even less than those as Gargano/Ciampa is renewed from it. The well's so dry, Bart Simpson's there.

Edited by The Natural

I mean I remember that last man standing match and how convoluted that was with Ciampa being handcuff to something and then Johnny doing some Angry Birds shit where he hit almost everything but Ciampa and lost.  And that was 2 years ago when the NXT main even formula was still being worked on.  

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Peck said:

I thought Jordan Oliver easily had the most punchable face in professional wrestling today, but the more and more I see of Sam Roberts....

Tells you how much people really hate Sam Roberts that Monsoor was loved by the crowd on the pre show.  Like I assume 80% of the crowd didn't even know who he was 

Remember in the 90s WWF wrestlers would shit on ECW, then in the 2000s they'd shit on Japanese wrestling and Indies, and now we see an national version of a Strong Style main event. Those neck drops are so uncomfortable to watch Ciampa take its ridiculous. It was a good show most people were complaining that most the matches went to long , I didn't think so until the main event. Dijack and Lee both of them could be instant stars if Vince wanted to push them heavy especially Lee. I saw a good number of people were upset about Bianca losing, I understand why. I never expected her to go over when it was booked. I felt like why even book it if she isn't going over but Charlotte attacking her makes me believe she could be figured into the NXT Women's title match at mania. That would be cool because I like all three. Rhea and Charlotte have the best build of all the women's matches going into Mania IMO, The BROserweights are the best team for ReDRagon. I hope they keep feuding Pete Dunne he's one of these guys that I watch and I want him to him no matter what. 

That main event was Extra as Mauro said tonight 

1 hour ago, hammerva said:

Unfortunately she has to leave NXT and get to the main roster.  She is starting to reach that Bray Wyatt level where no matter how many times they push her as serious championship quality it ends up in some miserable way when it matters.  

It is like they are trying to prove that Sam Roberts is right

If she goes to RAW they can basically start over, have her got Undefeated on the main roster and hopefully finally win the title. She's like her husband in that she has a ton of Charisma and will get over easily, I do think she'll be placed in the NXT Women's title match though, but if not they may as well move he up now. She homegrown talent like Lacey Evan's except she's actually good. She'll be a great opponent for Becky when its time

24 minutes ago, Ziggy said:

Remember in the 90s WWF wrestlers would shit on ECW, then in the 2000s they'd shit on Japanese wrestling and Indies, and now we see an national version of a Strong Style main event.

Huh? 

29 minutes ago, Ziggy said:

If she goes to RAW they can basically start over, have her got Undefeated on the main roster and hopefully finally win the title. She's like her husband in that she has a ton of Charisma and will get over easily, I do think she'll be placed in the NXT Women's title match though, but if not they may as well move he up now. She homegrown talent like Lacey Evan's except she's actually good. She'll be a great opponent for Becky when its time

Bianca should be nowhere near Raw. She would basically be DOA being on the same brand as Becky, Charlotte, & Shayna. If they were smart they would move her up to Smackdown post Wrestlmania to eventually win the belt there.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Eivion said:

Bianca should be nowhere near Raw. She would basically be DOA being on the same brand as Becky, Charlotte, & Shayna. If they were smart they would move her up to Smackdown post Wrestlmania to eventually win the belt there.

Bianca Belair to Smackdown with the Street Profits as WWE tend not to break real life couples up on different shows nowadays. 

Yeah... Definitely had enough of Cole's style in the main event. So many finisher kick outs.

Takeover Mania now becomes UE circling the wagons to defend the only title they have left while everyone takes a shot yeah?

I'd love it if we could get some sort of multi man match with Cole defending against Gargano, Ciampa, Balor & Dream. Maybe add Keith Lee in there on a quest to be a double champion.

Anything but another 40 minute 1 on 1 "epic". Ladder Match maybe?

• Like 1

Normally I stay up and watch Takeover live, but being in the UK and having to work today, I'll be watching it later. The good thing about this is being able to look at the scroller bar and see how long the Adam Cole match I'm expected to endure lasts for, before making my decision to watch. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sky Blue Sam said:

Normally I stay up and watch Takeover live, but being in the UK and having to work today, I'll be watching it later. The good thing about this is being able to look at the scroller bar and see how long the Adam Cole match I'm expected to endure lasts for, before making my decision to watch. 

I watched this live and I wish I could skip Cole/Ciampa.

• Like 1

These shows work so much better on Saturday nights. I only watched like the last third of the show with most of the tag title match and Cole vs. Ciampa. 

I thought Cole vs. Ciampa was a great match but at the same time it was so over the top with all the kickouts. The only thing I don't get is why they had Gargano turn on him now. They could have teased that a bit up until the Wrestlemania takeover. That would be a nuclear feud to go into the summer. But yeah some of the stuff Ciampa took with his neck made me cringe. Kinda like watching Brock vs. Daniel Bryan when Brock was just ragdolling him for the first 10 mins of that match.

I still don't get how regular piledrivers are bad but doing the destroyers and air raid crash from the top rope is perfectly fine. I'll watch the start of the show later on today. I saw results, but I can still watch and appreciate the matches.

• Like 2