DVDVR Message Board

NXT Takeover Portland - 2/16/2020

Dolfan in NYC

Predictions:

Ciampa regains the NXT Championship and gets Goldie back. 

Rhea Ripley retains the NXT Women's Championship. Bianca Belair really should've had a reign when she feuded with champion at the time, Shayna Baszler. That reign went too long.

BroserWeights become NXT Tag Team Champions in the MOTN.

Keith Lee retains the NXT North American Championship. 

Finn Balor. 

Tegan Nox. 

Cole/Ciampa and Balor/Gargano are the difficult calls.

Edited by The Natural

I hope that UE retain their tag team titles, just because "Broserweight" might be the worst tag team name in WWE history. Even The Viking Experience was not as bad. In addition to being plain and simply bad, it reeks of the usual lazy fusion of two identities that WWE does so often nowadays with tag teams. Every time two singles wrestlers form a tag team and the music production team mixes the two themes into one, I want to put something through my eardrum.

That was one of the best NXT PPV's ever...  wow that fucking crowd was red hot all night,  no burnout at all.  Props to Portland.  

I felt the first two matches on the card ended up stealing the show.  

Keith Lee and Dijak did some amazing stuff...  I was blown away those two just click.   

Tegan Nox and Dakota Kai brought the hatred to their blood feud.  I loved it.  The level of violence they brought out of each other. I was legit scared for Tegan though,  that table bump was fucking crazy.  

The rest of the show was good but definitely overbooked to oblivion in some places.  I don't think we needed 30 false finishes and then a Gargano turn at the end.  

Cole/Ciampa. Too OTT, little selling, too long, finisher kickouts and looks like we get Gargano vs. Ciampa resume from when it was left with Ciampa's neck surgery. I thought that series should've been put to bed when that happened, Gargano beating Cole for the vacant NXT Championship and Ciampa celebrating with Johnny/Candice. Least favourite match on the show.

Edited by The Natural

That was a fantastic show. The last 10 minutes of the main event had the usual nonsense, but outside of that everything was great. I thought Kai and Nox knocked it out of the park in the first big chance.

DD's head cleared that senton onto Lee by about an inch. Amazing spot; scary as hell on replay.

Edited by For Great Justice

Kind of burned out on NXT.

Tegan/Dakota was my favorite match of the night. They brought the brutality.

Seen Lee/Dijakovic too many times. Dug Rhea/Bianca keeping it simpler than everyone else with endless 2.99 kickouts, but thought the match was somewhat underwhelming overall. Tag title match felt similar to a lot of the other Broserweight Dusty Classic matches and Cole/Ciampa was exactly what you would expect it to be. Skipped Bálor/Gargano as these are 2 of the most uninteresting guys to me in NXT.

Once again another extremely overblown main event.  I mean the amount of no selling in this match on huge moves was ridiculous even by NXT standards.  and of course ONE BELT SHOT is all that was needed after 36 minutes.  Because you can't have an NXT main event that doesn't sniff 40 minutes

• Like 2

1 minute ago, The Natural said:

I really like Bianca Belair from her promos, in ring abilities and creates her own gear. Shame she loses the big one again.

Easily my favorite woman in NXT. She's become so good in such a short amount of time as she only began following wrestling when she joined the PC.

As much as I find the NXT main event to be extremely exhausting at times, the crowd lives love every second of it.   So you have to go with it.  It is the wrestling equivalent of that  "Happy" song by Pharrell years ago.  Yeah it was played 25 times a day but the people enjoyed it so fuck it play it 35 tiimes a day

Just now, Edwin said:

Easily my favorite woman in NXT. She's become so good in such a short amount of time as she only began following wrestling when she joined the PC.

Bianca Belair is my favourite woman in NXT by far. One of my favourites in all of WWE.

1 minute ago, The Natural said:

Bianca Belair is my favourite woman in NXT by far. One of my favourites in all of WWE.

Unfortunately she has to leave NXT and get to the main roster.  She is starting to reach that Bray Wyatt level where no matter how many times they push her as serious championship quality it ends up in some miserable way when it matters.  

It is like they are trying to prove that Sam Roberts is right

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, hammerva said:

As much as I find the NXT main event to be extremely exhausting at times, the crowd lives love every second of it.   So you have to go with it.  It is the wrestling equivalent of that  "Happy" song by Pharrell years ago.  Yeah it was played 25 times a day but the people enjoyed it so fuck it play it 35 tiimes a day

This describes Adam Cole perfectly imo.

1 minute ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

I was in the building for Cole/Gargano in New York and hell yeah we were into it, the place was nuclear.  But,  we've seen it too many times now with very little variation.  

I think they think they are doing New Japan main event style but without any of the creativity. 

And not at the same quality either.

10 minutes ago, hammerva said:

Unfortunately she has to leave NXT and get to the main roster.  She is starting to reach that Bray Wyatt level where no matter how many times they push her as serious championship quality it ends up in some miserable way when it matters.  

It is like they are trying to prove that Sam Roberts is right

How do you put someone on the other two brands and still have the mindset of NXT being a legitimate third brand, though? If they do roster trades, then that’s acceptable, but anything else is going to make it seem like she’s being promoted instead of it being a lateral movement since that’s been the way it’s done since NXT started.

I don’t disagree, but I’m just saying. Charlotte and Balor going to NXT makes sense and gives them more legitimacy, but taking away roster members like Bianca kind of negates that in my mind.