DVDVR Message Board

AEW Dynamite - 1/29/2020

Dolfan in NYC

1 hour ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I hope Butcher & the Blade vs. Young Bucks gets a good amount of time, so B & B get some shine. Ideally, I'd like to see them pick up a win.

I'm thinking the Bucks take the titles off of Omega/Page. They're definitely hinting at that match at the very least. Unless there's a tonne of Dark Order fuckery involved, I doubt the Bucks lose.

edit: or what WNBB said 37 minutes before me! Yeah!

Edited by Oyaji

While you were watching commercials, we got a Yuka Sakazaki is coming next week video. She's got her proper music. Ayayayayayayayayayayayayayayayaya.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, hammerva said:

Britt Baker's material during his heel turn has been incredible.  The "Hey Cleveland you finally have a Baker you can trust" was ?.  The delivery is still pretty shaky 

She's going to be a really good heel once she gets the delivery down.

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie
  • Like 5

I thought it was a pretty decent show but admittedly I was doing school work and didn't pay much attention to workrate.  I also missed the first quarter hour because I didn't get home in time to see it.  I would have liked to have gone to the show but I had too much work.

I dug Britt's promo and it was certainly better than last week.

The Cody/Kip match was weirdly booked with all the nonsense and strange stuff from Arn.  I guess he'll end up turning at some point to get more heat for Matthew Freeman.

The Blade and the Butcher are basically job guys, and that vignette was corny but short enough.  MJF needs his money back on these guys.

The main was pretty decent and I'm more and more convinced that Jericho is one of the best ever.  The final segment was very well booked and simplistic and not overly thought out.  They put the heat on the heels for a bit and then had Moxley clean house and stand tall.  That's how you put over a babyface and a match.

No Nightmare Collective was the highlight

• Like 1

This was very much a show building to the future, but there wasn't anything that sucked or was actively bad, so I'm fine with what we got.

And Adam Page is one of my favorite things in wrestling right now.

• Like 5

Cody rules, loved the triple Crossrhodes finish. Hangman was awesome all night, really hope they leave him as he is without any turn, feels on the verge of getting mega over. Hold my beer, lariat, leave was classic. Fun main event with an excellent finishing sequence. Dig the crowd trying to keep the Judas sing a long as a regular thing. Still loving the Judas Effect as the ultimate killshot. Moxley coming out like Sting taking out the nWo was good stuff, great build to Moxley/Jericho and could provide more future Moxley/Darby interaction coming off the save. Really liked the Pac promo too, some different style vignettes with that and the MJF/BBB bit.

• Like 4

I never gave a shit about Adam Page. Adam Page is now must-watch TV for me. Kudos to him for that.

If we're going to talk about how shitty Britt's promo was last week then we need to talk about how much of a 180 it was this week. Tony did his part to help and the result was entertaining and effective.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, notoriusvig said:

I dug Britt's promo and it was certainly better than last week.

Funny, I was thinking paint by numbers.

In all seriousness, it was a lot better this week. When she eliminates the shake-voice, she’ll be a good heel promo.

Edited by The Great ML
  • Like 1

Okay, I take back every bad thing I've ever said about Dr. Britt Baker. That was really good shit. She was so much more confident in her delivery compared to last week, almost like a different person. And I really like how her beefs with the announcers are rooted in fair criticisms, making her heel turn/shitty behaviour logical rather than "I AM BAD NOW" that happens an awful lot these days. 

Also, half-cut Hangman is the man.

Looked a derpy show on paper but all the angles delivered and the Cody/Sabian match was a lot of fun with the baseball manager ejection and Penelope shenanigans. I'll defo take a silly match to get Cody momentum over super serious match that goes 15 to show how good Sabian is. He got some spots to shine for sure, so he's fine but the match was where it needed to be in terms of main event babyface vs. midcard shitheel. Simple, old school, effective stuff.

Evans and Angelico probably had their best AEW performance tonight. Angelico in particular looked way more confident in himself whereas previously I thought he was shrinking and not nearly as smooth as he usually is. Which is weird because he's been in AAA forever.

Edit: also I am so happy they pivoted the Dark Order to SCU and away from main event guys in the Young Bucks. This is their level until they get somebody meaningful to join. Love a John Silver in serious promo time on TNT. Unreal.

I love Pac so much. That was a really well shot promo too. God damn yeah.

Main event: very fun. Private Party's offense, man... It's rough but other than that the match was fucking great. Old school pace and the crescendo was perfect for the underdog babyfaces. Darby as the 2020 version of Sting is making more and more sense. He is just on another level from most everybody on the roster. A perfect foil for Jericho.

Edited by Oyaji
  • Like 4

5 hours ago, The Great ML said:

In all seriousness, it was a lot better this week. When she eliminates the shake-voice, she’ll be a good heel promo.

5 hours ago, The Great ML said:

if you are going to think me at least tag me.    I called it earlier in the other thread that she would use JR for heat. I will say her promo last night was miles ahead of the one the week before.  Her delivery and cadence can still be improved but she's getting there.  

While it didn't have anything super major going on I really loved the episode.  The only issue maybe was the layout of the promos and interviews.  It seemed to me like there was a lull in action and they had a bunch of talking to kill time.  It was all great but if they had them at different parts of the show it wouldn't have been as noticeable.  But like Craig said it built a lot for the shows going forward and I'm really pleased to see effective ways of building to stuff without being long and pointless.

As for the matches they were at the least pretty damn good and a fun way to kill two hours.  Page's "Hold my beer" moment was fucking aces and I can't wait to show that to wrestling fans and non-fans alike.   But there was also little things like Cody going through the crowd after his match that really hit home just how much AEW loves the people that follow them.  Just a really sweet thing to see while it was commercial.  And I'm glad SCU did a Kobe tribute which you could tell meant a lot to them.  Not sure what Daniels said during commercial but Scorpio definitely seemed to be fighting back tears up until the match started.

Page is an absolute star right now in my eyes, and the Buckshot Lariat has become one of those moves you want, and expect to see at a live event. Last week I thought the Bucks, and Omega turning on Page would be the right move. But now I feel the right move would be Page getting an opportunity from a heel to “Sellout” only for Hangman to turn it down like DDP did to the nWo. It would cement him as a top babyface with grit, instead of being the being the hand chosen top guy of the company he was at the start(Even though that’s what he really is).

• Like 2