DVDVR Message Board

Raw is One Step Closer To The Edge - 1/27/2020

Dolfan in NYC

24 minutes ago, paintedbynumbers said:

So I am guessing AJ is missing mania?  Orton-Styles would have been fun but Orton-Edge is going to be great.  Put the OC with Balor in NXT and bring AJ back as a face to feud with Balor.  Kill 2 birds with 1 stone. 

I'm glad Edge is back. He gives them some star power and he's extremely self-aware as a total package. Super bright guy. You got that from the podcast if you didn't have it before.

That said, Orton vs Edge, no matter how good the angle setting it up, is not going to be great. They're going to give it way too much time. Edge has never had stuff to fill time unless it was in a gimmick match and he was a heel. I get that there's a novelty to this and I'm glad it's on the card, but you should be feeling looming dread in the back of your soul about watching Edge vs Orton for 20 minutes, not excitement. 

• Like 4

I'm not sure what was supposed to happen with that 619, but I'm not sure MVP was ever coming back full-time - it's just not the vibe I got from him when he did the 'Where Are They Now'. I actually like it when things are a bit rough anyway; it's not like it actually 'exposed' anything. MVP probably wanted to wrestle Mysterio, but it probably wasn't the right match for him.

Pretty sure Orton turning wasn't the original plan, but Styles isn't a lock for WM so they buried Gallows/Anderson and did this. And, with respect to A.J., I think this is the better Wrestlemania match.

I think the issue with doing Rated RKO is that without The OC it meant inserting themselves into the Rollins angle, & I can understand not doing that. Personally I'd have been all for using The Revival as roadkill, and I am sure they would have been down...but the roster split makes it tough, plus they probably don't even want to put The Revival in such a big match. Miz and Morrison I suppose were the other option, but if I'm Fox I'm already salty about them getting tossed so quickly by Drew and Brock. 

30 minutes ago, Matt D said:

I'm glad Edge is back. He gives them some star power and he's extremely self-aware as a total package. Super bright guy. You got that from the podcast if you didn't have it before.

That said, Orton vs Edge, no matter how good the angle setting it up, is not going to be great. They're going to give it way too much time. Edge has never had stuff to fill time unless it was in a gimmick match and he was a heel. I get that there's a novelty to this and I'm glad it's on the card, but you should be feeling looming dread in the back of your soul about watching Edge vs Orton for 20 minutes, not excitement. 

I absolutely think they are in some kind of gimmick match at Mania. They have plenty of time to build to one. 

I do find it weird that the idea to make the 100th version of Charlotte vs Becky mean something is to turn Becky heel.  Like that isn't going to make it more interesting.  Maybe they did it because everyone knows that she is Seth's finance/girlfriend and having her be the top face is awkward

Charlotte won't be taking on Becky though.

As for Edge and Orton, they're borrowing straight from the HHH/HBK feud where it winds up leading to a hardcore match between the two.

Just, please, stop doing the spear.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Craig H said:

Charlotte won't be taking on Becky though.

As for Edge and Orton, they're borrowing straight from the HHH/HBK feud where it winds up leading to a hardcore match between the two.

Just, please, stop doing the spear.

As that excellent Edge/Randy Orton angle was happening, I thought back to Shawn Michaels/Triple H SummerSlam 2002 and how that started, they're going down that path.

Agree about the banishment of the Spear. I suggested the Edgecator submission hold in the January 2020 Wrestling Discussion Thread. I enjoyed how Edge brought back in 2011. Why not use a new finisher like Chris Jericho did with the Codebreaker to go with the Walls of Jericho?

3 hours ago, hammerva said:

I do find it weird that the idea to make the 100th version of Charlotte vs Becky mean something is to turn Becky heel.  Like that isn't going to make it more interesting.  Maybe they did it because everyone knows that she is Seth's finance/girlfriend and having her be the top face is awkward

They Always Wanted Becky To Be The Heel.

The last attempt to turn her simply backfired to such an epic degree they almost accidentally recreated Stone Cold Steve Austin and they were essentially forced to run with it.

But that was almost two years ago, which is enough time for amnesia or turnover in the writer's room to kick in and take another crack at turning her with no lessons learned.

• Like 1

That is very true.  Although it wasn't really that they wanted her heel but they wanted Charlotte more liked by the fans.  Which wasn't happening either

if they are turning her heel because of Seth, they are in for trouble because people were sick of Seth and probably need mind the heel turn.  Not sure about Becky

• Like 1

11 hours ago, TheVileOne said:

Why wouldn't Orton do that to Edge? He's Randy Orton. He hears voices in his head and they talk to him.

I certainly hope the voices in his head are talking to him. If they talk to someone else, well that's just rude!

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, ComingToAmerica said:

I'm not sure what was supposed to happen with that 619, but I'm not sure MVP was ever coming back full-time - it's just not the vibe I got from him when he did the 'Where Are They Now'. I actually like it when things are a bit rough anyway; it's not like it actually 'exposed' anything. MVP probably wanted to wrestle Mysterio, but it probably wasn't the right match for him.

Between that and what he's said on his podcast before I get the impression that he's retiring this year and wanted his son to see him in WWE on his way out.  And Meltzer said it was only a few dates he was doing at most.

1 hour ago, hammerva said:

That is very true.  Although it wasn't really that they wanted her heel but they wanted Charlotte more liked by the fans.  Which wasn't happening either

if they are turning her heel because of Seth, they are in for trouble because people were sick of Seth and probably need mind the heel turn.  Not sure about Becky

I can't think of a better example of the office's tone deaf nature toward face/heel alignment. Everyone wants to cheer the woman who looks like the girl that made their lives hell in high school, right? Especially when she's facing the most relatable character in the company at the time. This front office...

• Like 3

3 hours ago, NikoBaltimore said:

Between that and what he's said on his podcast before I get the impression that he's retiring this year and wanted his son to see him in WWE on his way out.  And Meltzer said it was only a few dates he was doing at most.

It would be quite amusing for him to have a match with Matt Hardy on Main Event, though they can probably do it on the independents soon enough.

btw, Main Event spoiler

Cedric Alexander lost to Riddick Moss. MVP might be able to wrestler him in the independents as well

• Like 2

6 hours ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

Becky throwing a whiny temper tantrum because things didn't go her way was relatable? I guess that depends on your perspective.

No, but being justifiably upset because "Shoehorn Charlotte" got another opportunity handed to her while everyone else on the roster gets shoved aside so we can all be reminded what a lousy promo and monotonous worker Charlotte is is relatable. GTFOH with that...

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, just drew said:

No, but being justifiably upset because "Shoehorn Charlotte" got another opportunity handed to her while everyone else on the roster gets shoved aside so we can all be reminded what a lousy promo and monotonous worker Charlotte is is relatable. GTFOH with that...

I liken Charlotte to Adam Page and Becky to the Bucks in this situation. The Bucks can pull all the boo-boo faces they want when Hangman goes for that blind tag, but they (like Becky) ain't entitled to an easy ride in the ring just because everyone is supposedly friends. 

Of course once they turned Charlotte heel again, they played up the shoehorning and made it part of the story and got the dynamics right as far as what the audience wanted to buy into. But for that SummerSlam? Becky was, and forever shall be, in the wrong. Shoehorn my butt*: Charlotte earned her way into that thing by scoring a clean fall over the champ. Becky at that point was nothing but a petty, jealous Twitter troll. 

*Please don't shoehorn my butt.

FWIW, I think some of you would find the Chronicle episode on Charlotte to be a harrowing watch. After she takes the belt from Asuka, she's crying backstage about how she felt she hadn't been able to win the big one. It's hilarious. 

Edited by West Newbury Bad Boy
  • Like 2

They turned Charlotte heel because no one feels sympathy for her. At this point, you're taking her side either because you're a) trolling or b) anti-Becky. Trying to turn Becky heel was maybe the most tone-deaf piece of creative not involving a Shield member of the last 5 years. 

5 minutes ago, just drew said:

They turned Charlotte heel because no one feels sympathy for her. At this point, you're taking her side either because you're a) trolling or b) anti-Becky. Trying to turn Becky heel was maybe the most tone-deaf piece of creative not involving a Shield member of the last 5 years. 

Sure. The crowd wanted to cheer her. They didn't want to cheer Charlotte. They got the story backwards from the word go. Don't think I've ever said otherwise. That doesn't mean her actions weren't those of a heel, and I don't want to find jealous temper tantrums relatable. People twisting themselves into knots to justify rasslin' baddies' shitheel behaviour is seriously lame almost 100% of the time. Like who you want to like. But to her actions were reprehensible on their face, and I'll take that side up every time this topic is discussed.

I'll let slide the accusations of trolling and being "anti-Becky," because we all know you're just taking the slant on the other side of that coin like you normally do with Charlotte. And that's perfectly fine. 

As far as tone-deaf creative in the past five years, it was pretty bad but it might not even be the worst thing Charlotte's been involved with. I'd probably take using Reid's death for heat as her all-time YIKES from creative.

• Like 1