DVDVR Message Board

Raw is One Step Closer To The Edge - 1/27/2020

Dolfan in NYC

I hate the whole "no one comes to save anyone" policy the locker room seems to have. If this were the mid 80s, the whole face locker room would have come running out with chairs in hand to run off Orton. Now we just sit around and watch for five or so minutes as the feel good story of Edge returning is turned into a horror story with Orton trying to rebreak his neck. I'm sure it will look a little better when the edited version is up on youtube, but the long gaps live just reinforced my anger over WHY DIDNT ANYONE COME OUT TO SAVE EDGE?

• Like 5

12 minutes ago, TheVileOne said:

Why wouldn't Orton do that to Edge? He's Randy Orton. He hears voices in his head and they talk to him.

3 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

Orton needing justification for doing something bad to somebody is just about the silliest goddamn thing ever. IT'S RANDY ORTON. He's a scumbag.

Correct.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Phantom Lord said:

I hate the whole "no one comes to save anyone" policy the locker room seems to have. If this were the mid 80s, the whole face locker room would have come running out with chairs in hand to run off Orton. Now we just sit around and watch for five or so minutes as the feel good story of Edge returning is turned into a horror story with Orton trying to rebreak his neck. I'm sure it will look a little better when the edited version is up on youtube, but the long gaps live just reinforced my anger over WHY DIDNT ANYONE COME OUT TO SAVE EDGE?

Said the same as did @sabremike. I joked they were in the Phantom Zone.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Phantom Lord said:

WWE can't book a white meat babyface without him/her coming off as a lame catchphrase-and-buzzword dispensing goober.  It is only when they demonstrate/develop a cocky asshole edge to themselves that they connect with the crowd and get over.

Thus, all top babyfaces are arrogant assholes.

Ergo, not only do they have no friends to help them, every other top face lets the beatdown happen because A) the victim has it coming, and B) the non-interventionist other babyface is also the sort of asshole who'd let it happen.

I'm tempted to call it Austin Syndrome since it seems to trace back to the lionization of him and his "loner rebel [reformed] tweener" attitude as a heroic virtue and repeated [failed] attempts to re-invent their most popular draw of the last 25 years without fully understanding why he drew.  But I suspect if I looked closer the roots probably stretch back to Hogan.

Vince thinks gets getting jumped on your own admirable and having friends care enough about you to save you is shameful, I guess.

• Like 1

except one time Carmella of all people actually did make a territorial babyface save just because it was The Right Thing To Do a few months back and I will never stop laughing at the thought her as the last bastion of territorial facedom

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, BobbyWhioux said:

except one time Carmella of all people actually did make a territorial babyface save just because it was The Right Thing To Do a few months back and I will never stop laughing at the thought her as the last bastion of territorial facedom

"There's Carmella, standing tall!!!!".

As far as Hogan, didn't watch enough of his WWF stuff in real time but, at least in the AWA, it wasn't at all uncommon for him to make saves.

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Execproducer said:

"There's Carmella, standing tall!!!!".

As far as Hogan, didn't watch enough of his WWF stuff in real time but, at least in the AWA, it wasn't at all uncommon for him to make saves.

WWF kicked off an angle that was arguably their best long-term storytelling and as a bonus spat $1000 bills from 1987-89 based on this premise. 

Edited by Josh Mann
  • Like 3

4 minutes ago, piranesi said:

I was more bothered by the fat that one RKO and a chair to the back knocked him out cold for five minutes but at Mania he will kick out of six to ten of each.  Ring rust?

he's been gone so long he got confused and thought he was working Survivor Series instead

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 8

1 hour ago, RolandTHTG said:

I loved that time when Andre attacked Hogan on SNME, and the babyface roster emptied in unprecedented fashion - Bulldogs, Duggan, JYD, Jake, Strike Force....and Andre just doesn't give a fuck and puts a beating on Hulk anyway.

Same here.

Edited by The Natural

Charlotte/Asuka was pretty good. Looks like this is heading to her challenging for the tag titles at Mania, which makes no sense for her character, but I would still prefer to the alternatives. 

Liv/Lana was fine for what it was. 

6 hours ago, The Natural said:

Look how smooth that was by Asuka.

Swank! It’s nice to see how much her and Charlotte trust each other and how there’s always something different in their matches.

Also thought Becky’s ultra-arrogant promo was interesting. Feels like she’s being set up to take a fall soon, perhaps from Shayna.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Phantom Lord said:

The hallways to the locker room are much longer now.

• Like 2