DVDVR Message Board

RIP Kobe Bryant

RIPPA

8 minutes ago, Casey said:

The Kobe line isn't even that popular in the re-sell market. No disrespect meant to the man, but it's not like these were re-selling for huge prices like AJ1s, Kyries, Yeezys, Pharrells, etc.

I think the expectation is that people are going to suddenly increase the demand greatly, and they want to prevent profiteering off the man's death.

8 minutes ago, Brian Fowler said:

I think the expectation is that people are going to suddenly increase the demand greatly, and they want to prevent profiteering off the man's death.

I get that, but I don't really think that'd be the case had they not done this. Aren't the Kobe shoes generally widely available and at a decent price point? The Mambas are like $80 at Footlocker and Hibbets, I don't think people are suddenly going to buy them all and try to resell them for triple or quadruple the price - plus, if that much stock suddenly floods the resell market, nobody is going to buy it anyway because the point of resell is to get rare or limited quantity shoes, not pay a certain price above retail for a widely available shoe (both in store and on the secondary).

Admirable from Nike to do that, definitely. But I don't see that being the case. I think Kobe had some of the more reasonably priced sneakers out there that's a signature shoe for a company, so it wouldn't be a situation like Kyrie Irving or LeBron James where they already go for $200+ retail. I wanna say I remember Kobe saying he wanted his shoes to be affordable, but I might be confusing that with someone else. But for someone like Kobe, I'm really surprised he never got more limited releases or high dollar variants.

Edited by Casey
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Casey said:

Yeah, I get that. I guess I'm trying to process the ESPN comment about the secondary market, since that's just not how it works at all.

At mentioned, I know nothing about basketball sneakers, but celebrity memorabilia in general tends to, at least temporarily, take huge jumps in value after the celeb dies.

Sounds like they just want to get in front of it in case.

But wouldn't purposely closing off the market make that much worse? Nike presumably controls the means of production, so even if some speculators buy 20 Kobe jerseys each, they could just make more. By not selling anything, you're pretty much ensuring what stock is out there blows up in price.

23 minutes ago, Casey said:

Yeah, I get that. I guess I'm trying to process the ESPN comment about the secondary market, since that's just not how it works at all.

No I think you are right, it has very little to do with secondary markets. Simply them wanting to put some time between the tragedy and their making money off of it. I also think that within six months to a year they'll come out with a tribute shoe.

10 hours ago, Lawful Metal said:

As a criminal defense attorney, I’ll note that a person should never be judged by who they were and what they did on their worst day.

That said, Kobe was never convicted, the alleged complainant never testified under oath, the complainant allegedly had mental problems, and the DNA collected from the complainant came from someone else, not Kobe. 

The conventional wisdom that he got away with rape is wrong. 

And you know I hate the Lakers.

You might want to read up on the case a little more (try the Daily Beast).

Edited by Tabe

3 hours ago, Tabe said:

You might want to read up on the case a little more (try the Daily Beast).

The crazy thing about the Kobe Bryant rape case is that all that all the reasons people discredit her story seem to be very consistent with the kind of things predators look for in victims.  There is no way for me to know for sure what happened, but with a gun to my head, I know which side I'd choose.  It is such a hard thing to reconcile at times like this, because we all have an opinion, but none of us really know.  

Can't we just talk about the five championships?  The subject of rich black men allegedly buying their justice rarely ends well and the debate will just get this thread locked.

Edited by J.T.

Apologies. It’s a reflex.

I’ve been on this board forever, and anyone who knows me knows how much I hate the Lakers. Hated Kobe. 

Hated because he could absolutely kill the Rockets. Kill anyone. Clutch as fuck. Can’t do anything but shake your head. Yeah you could point out bad officiating, but that was more of a Shaq thing. Fuck Shaq. 

Mad respect. Absolutely one of the GOAT.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Casey said:

The Kobe line isn't even that popular in the re-sell market. No disrespect meant to the man, but it's not like these were re-selling for huge prices like AJ1s, Kyries, Yeezys, Pharrells, etc.

it might not have been last week but they damn will be now.   I mean seriously you look on ebay, his cards and 8X10 autographs are now 4 to 5 times more then before.  

2 hours ago, Lawful Metal said:

Apologies. It’s a reflex.

I appreciate the jurisprudence actually, but you know that none of us know how to behave when we start discussing culture war bullshit.

As a Federal employee, avoiding discussions of politics, religion, or the Great Pumpkin is almost second nature.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 3

I'm not getting into it, but this stuff is part of the story and what made him such an interesting figure to discuss.  He's the person with this in his background as well as the person who was a hugely vocal supporter of women's sports.  He was the person who called a referee a homophobic slur, but then went on to work with GLAAD and telling kids why it's not OK to describe things they don't like as gay.  He was a complex, flawed, often frustrating person.  I've spent the last 20 years calling him a sociopath based on how he treated people who he didn't think were good enough at basketball.  I've heard multiple members of the media who said that he was the one NBA player who pulled them aside if he noticed they were nervous and made sure they felt comfortable when they interacted with him.  He was the kind of person who would do something to offend people and then call someone from that community to discuss how missed the mark and how he can do better.  It is incredibly hard to talk about him and keep it to basketball, because we've "known" him since he was in high school.  How many celebrities die and you can remember them going to prom?  I honestly don't know if there is an athlete we've ever known more about.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

It's a Laker for a Laker trade-off, but I will only sign on if Jerry West himself is cool with it.

Personally, I think I'd rather see something like the Air Jordan Jumpman Logo or something with Magic Johnson as the NBA logo if we're talking about replacing Jerry West with another iconic player.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 4

There's close to a 0% chance that Kobe would be the new NBA logo. It's sad that he, his daughter, and so many others died in a tragic accident, but that's not reason enough to make him the logo. I get why people are so moved by this though. It would be like for me if Michael Jordan died the same way not that long after his 6th championship. People should just temper their expectations a bit for what the NBA's response would be because he died or how he died.

• Like 1

Yeah, I can definitely get why the NBA wouldn't change its logo to be him, but I could definitely see one of those soft league-wide retirements of 8 and/or 24.  But I just saw that and thought it was cool.  

• Like 2