DVDVR Message Board

2020 Non-Event General MMA Talk Thread

Elsalvajeloco

2 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

To me, it's the same thing because the only sporting fanbase as rabid and really more supportive towards the right is the football fanbase. Outkick is named after a football term not named rearnakedchoke.com or heelhook.com. If the Kaepernick thing never happened, you never get that groundswell of racists or people aligning with shit like that who are disgraces to their race like you know who got fired from every major sports news outlet he ever worked for. There are people who support Covington and Chael before him, but that number and the overall percentage of the fanbase pales in comparison to football. It's not even remotely close. There is no major MMA website I know of where that even would have a market for people who support the current regime. First off, going back to Esther Lin, the sport isn't even popular enough to support the websites they currently have. Lets just start with that.

You can have fifteen Outkicks and also other sites like The Ringer that don't really hire black writers to cover majority black team sports. There is a market for center-right/right politics when it comes to the major sports especially a behemoth like American football. So yeah, a voice like Colby Covington or Dana White or Jorge Masvidal is going to ring loud in MMA because it goes against the norm even if it doesn't seem like the norm.

Yeah, a big part of my issue is that the MMA community is really fucking small.  I can be a fully engaged football fan with pretty much my entire friend group.  We are all like minded people who kind of agree on how full of shit the NFL is, and we can discuss that without any of us ever really getting pissed off about it.  Seriously, the biggest reason I don't think about the NFL and MMA in the same way is because I generally get enough football talk with my friends.  MMA isn't like that.  I only have  a few friends who will watch a fight, and even fewer who can hold a conversation about the sport.  It's a sport that almost has to be discussed online for me, because no one I know can actually discuss the sport with any nuance.  It puts me in the same places with people that I find abhorrent, and football doesn't.  I'm in this for entertainment, I'm not really interested in participating if I have to do it with a bunch of people I don't like.  

25 minutes ago, supremebve said:

Yeah, a big part of my issue is that the MMA community is really fucking small.  I can be a fully engaged football fan with pretty much my entire friend group.  We are all like minded people who kind of agree on how full of shit the NFL is, and we can discuss that without any of us ever really getting pissed off about it.  Seriously, the biggest reason I don't think about the NFL and MMA in the same way is because I generally get enough football talk with my friends.  MMA isn't like that.  I only have  a few friends who will watch a fight, and even fewer who can hold a conversation about the sport.  It's a sport that almost has to be discussed online for me, because no one I know can actually discuss the sport with any nuance.  It puts me in the same places with people that I find abhorrent, and football doesn't.  I'm in this for entertainment, I'm not really interested in participating if I have to do it with a bunch of people I don't like.  

This is why I have to defend MMA in these cases. If a sport is big enough where you have a large subsection who will be apolitical and ignore things that should bother them, then you automatically have that out. That doesn't seat right to me.

See, once I got taste of Chael Sonnen several years back, I've learned how to curate the content I see. Whether it's my Google news feed or my Twitter timeline, anything that is just outrageous will get dismissed, hidden, or blocked. At the same time, the stuff that seeps through the cracks allows me to know the babble coming back through the other side. That's part of having a nuanced discussion. If I just outright hid or walked away or just stopped watching because some people said some things I really don't agree with, I would be admitting that I am trying to escape from real world issues. Moreover, I know I am going to run into something similar no matter what sport I'm watching. This is something I'm going to have to deal with because the amount of people who watch sports have political opinions...most I'm pretty sure I will not or won't ever agree with. It's just what it is. So when the actual athletes have those opinions, why should I run away? My responsibility as a fan is to absorb what I feel is more substantive and edifying IMO. If some journalist or site feels the need to run with a clickbait Covington headline, quote, or whatever, they just won't be on my timeline anymore. Same way with any fans of the sport or adjacent personalities. "Ok, you feel that way...see you in the next lifetime, buddy." That's the blessing of technology. You can still be around like-minded people, but still remain in a space where you aren't liking the smell of your own bullshit.

Edited by Elsalvajeloco

2 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

This is why I have to defend MMA in these cases. If a sport is big enough where you have a large subsection who will be apolitical and ignore things that should bother them, then you automatically have that out. That doesn't seat right to me.

See, once I got taste of Chael Sonnen several years back, I've learned how to curate the content I see. Whether it's my Google news feed or my Twitter timeline, anything that is just outrageous will get dismissed, hidden, or blocked. At the same time, the stuff that seeps through the cracks allows me to know the babble coming back through the other side. That's part of having a nuanced discussion. If I just outright hid or walked away or just stopped watching because some people said some things I really don't agree with, I would be admitting that I am trying to escape from real world issues. Moreover, I know I am going to run into something similar no matter what sport I'm watching. This is something I'm going to have to deal with because the amount of people who watch sports have political opinions...most I'm pretty sure I will not or won't ever agree with. It's just what it is. So when the actual athletes have those opinions, why should I run away? My responsibility as a fan is to absorb what I feel is more substantive and edifying IMO. If some journalist or site feels the need to run with a clickbait Covington headline, quote, or whatever, they just won't be on my timeline anymore. Same way with any fans of the sport or adjacent personalities. "Ok, you feel that way...see you in the next lifetime, buddy." That's the blessing of technology. You can still be around like-minded people, but still remain in a space where you aren't liking the smell of your own bullshit.

I get what you're saying, but the amount of time I'm willing to spend filtering out the noise is becoming less and less worth it.  I still listen to Heavy Hands, I still watch Luke Thomas videos when he's breaking down fights, and I keep up with this board.  The biggest issue is that I actually like talking about sports with people.  There aren't nearly enough places for me to interact with real life human beings without having to build up barriers of entry to the conversation.  Building those barriers aren't worth my time.  I'm interested in enough things that I could just focus on one of those things where I don't have to exert that kind of energy to enjoy it.  I'd rather just spend that time reading, cooking, or playing video games.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, supremebve said:

I get what you're saying, but the amount of time I'm willing to spend filtering out the noise is becoming less and less worth it.  I still listen to Heavy Hands, I still watch Luke Thomas videos when he's breaking down fights, and I keep up with this board.  The biggest issue is that I actually like talking about sports with people.  There aren't nearly enough places for me to interact with real life human beings without having to build up barriers of entry to the conversation.  Building those barriers aren't worth my time.  I'm interested in enough things that I could just focus on one of those things where I don't have to exert that kind of energy to enjoy it.  I'd rather just spend that time reading, cooking, or playing video games.

No problem with this at all. The issue is for everyone, there comes a time where things are going to hit too close to home. That's just how things are going. Right now, your fandom justifies you watching just enough. No matter who is in office months from now...I don't see this country magically turning around and everyone get on one accord. It's always been 51%/49% one way or another. There will probably be an instance where you ask yourself, "Do I have to cut football out of my life just so I can look myself in the mirror?" It might not even be football. It might be your favorite TV show or musicians/artists/bands. Nothing is safe, and *really* nothing should be safe.

On 10/1/2020 at 5:10 AM, Jiji said:

God damn. Esther Lin is leaving MMA photography for voice over work for the foreseeable future. She was the best but if you look at her twitter no sane person will begrudge her the move as much as it is a loss. Her pwg photography was the highest quality work you can find too. 

Big loss to the MMA community. Check these photos out by Esther Lin:

Great work.

Fucking... the one time we get a big UFC actually happening at a watchable time, and they go and hide it behind a bloody paywall. AND they announce it two days after everyone in England was cursing the PPV industry because they wanted to put Football games on telly for £15 EACH.

• Like 1

Dana White says January 23 is the date he offered McGregor to fight Poirier. McGregor wants to fight this year. Not sure what the issue is here. He's willing to open up the check book to get Masvidal vs. Usman put together on less than a week's notice, but he seems to be obstinate about this.

I realize McGregor is bringing a lot baggage these days, but I'm not understanding what the issue is here.

Also, why not try booking McGregor vs. Ferguson? That fight isn't a rematch.

Edited by TheVileOne

3 hours ago, TheVileOne said:

Dana White says January 23 is the date he offered McGregor to fight Poirier. McGregor wants to fight this year. Not sure what the issue is here. He's willing to open up the check book to get Masvidal vs. Usman put together on less than a week's notice, but he seems to be obstinate about this.

I realize McGregor is bringing a lot baggage these days, but I'm not understanding what the issue is here.

The difference of several million dollars.

Anyway, the only reason why Conor would really need to fight in 2020 is to make some Forbes list of the highest paid athletes for a particular calendar year. That's the only reason.

Like I brought earlier, it looks like Wilder vs. Fury III isn't happening 2020 in order to get gate revenue (which is funny since Arum made it sound like Nevada was going to allow the fight to take place at Allegiant Stadium at limited capacity). Now Fury is planning on fighting 12/5 on I believe Frank Warren's promotional anniversary show or w/e against some random person. Bob Arum was willing to make Lomachenko vs. Teofimo Lopez (on free TV btw) but not Wilder vs. Fury III without fans in attendance because the potential losses are much greater with the latter than the former. The same goes for Masvidal vs. Usman and McGregor vs. Poirier. 

Now not offering McGregor a fight period would be a problem like I brought up earlier. 

Edited by Elsalvajeloco

9 hours ago, jaedmc said:

I can't imagine Jerry Jones having "friends".

Shit, I can.  Jerry, for all his faults, seems to know how to have a good time.  Seriously, if you found yourself invited to a party thrown by Jerry Jones, are you telling me that you wouldn't show up?  I'd be right there drinking a liquor that I can't afford from a crystal glass that I'd be tempted to steal.  

• Like 1