DVDVR Message Board

2020 Non-Event General MMA Talk Thread

Elsalvajeloco

19 hours ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

Unless another main event appears out of thin air, I'm assuming that's going to be the main event. Without that fight, the card already has eleven fights.

Re: next week's card

I'm gonna put this in the right thread this time

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jiji said:

I don't understand how they're in the same weight class. Even somebody as refined and slick as Maia will have problems with the extreme physicality of Chimaev I feel.

It's intriguing cause Demian has always struggled with guys who can and have stifled his takedown attempts, not necessarily tremendous wrestlers. He missed two dozen plus takedowns against Tyron Woodley, but didn't have much trouble with Ben Askren. Rory MacDonald and Jake Shields pretty much nullified him. Same with Usman. With this, he's fighting someone whose aim is to put him on the ground. So he doesn't have to be creative to get it there.

My worry for Maia is he's coming off a pretty decisive loss where coming in, he was on the verge of retirement off a big win. Is his mindset, "Well if I can just survive getting pulverized in round one..."? 

Maia is so even keel that I don't expect him to fight with a chip on his shoulder trying to expose this new prospect, and that's probably what he needs to be motivated. I don't know if I wanna see Demian Maia as the guy who gets smashed by the guys on the way up. I know it's the fighter circle of life and all that, but I think he's one of the guys who deserve to go out as still a pretty good fighter.

Edited by Elsalvajeloco
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, Jiji said:

Jesus, who's next? I really like both of those guys Chimaev is going to smash. ? Dude is going to be like real life Goldberg tearing through my faves and I'll resent the fucker for it. Maia is Sting.

I wouldn't call this Maia Sting. Sadly, he's more Mongo when Goldberg had only been there for a month and was like a tweener leaning heel feuding over Mongo's 86 SuperBowl ring.

GM3 is like Hugh Morrus or Glacier. 

Edited by Elsalvajeloco

Is Chimaev going to punch Meerschaert through a table?! ?

There isn't an actual great analog for Sting but I guess Usman will have to do. However, he's got the tools to potentially stifle Chimaev. Colby as Hogan works well enough, racist politicking loudmouths. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Jiji said:

Will it survive another year? 

I think it depends on what you mean whether it's the service in general or just the service in a combat sports space. If we're just talking the latter, it's hard to say because you can't lean on picking up a new hot property. Although the Athletic reported they were picking up Bareknuckle FC, I don't see anything on either side making that connection as of yet. Moreover, so much of what they're doing right now is based on what they have available. If you go to the DAZN website or app, it's old stuff and two tabs for the Bellator shows this weekend which fall into the rank and file category. For a platform that's basing it's potential success on a plethora of new content each and every week, they sure as hell don't have any. It's hard to commit dollars on something that's not bringing interest to their platform.

That's what is intriguing about those big contracts. If those previous Canelo shows were that big, they would bring him back in a jiffy. So it appears they were successful, but not gamechanging successful.