DVDVR Message Board

2020 Non-Event General MMA Talk Thread

Elsalvajeloco

42 minutes ago, jaedmc said:

Curtis Blaydes might have the longest road to a title shot of any #2 contender in any division. 

It took Yushin Okami like five years to get a title shot. I always thought he was no worse than 2b to Marquardt's 2a. However, there was a revolving door of guys who made of the rest of the top 10 during Anderson's reign of terror at middleweight.

8 hours ago, The Natural said:
Carlos Condit hasn't been the same since losing to Robbie Lawler by split decision in a classic fight for Lawler's UFC Welterweight Championship. Needed an instant rematch that.

i don't know if either guy would have survived an immediate rematch. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Jiji said:

Man, that's going to be an ass beating. I feel bad.

I was going to bring this up when the UFC EA game was being brought up, but I think this is Megan Anderson fighting for the featherweight division to stay open. The girl Megan just beat...she's fighting Ashlee Evans-Smith at bantamweight. As much as they probably like Anderson, I don't think they would have any problem letting both Spencer and Anderson go to Bellator. That and I don't see Kayla Harrison coming in anytime soon and cutting down to featherweight when she hasn't ever done it before. Plus, you can always open it back up again if/when she arrives. 

So Megan Anderson is not just fighting for a title...she's fighting for her job in the UFC. I think men's flyweight is going to stay open by virtue of there just being enough decent talent around. Deiveson Figueiredo might not be Mighty Mouse, but he's hard to deal with. If Garbrandt stays at 125 or even beats him, that adds another meaningful name to that division. IMO Megan Anderson, on the other hand, is fighting to keep her division from being shuttered because they aren't meaningful names on the way.

• Like 1

Oh my fucking gawwwd, I love that fight! Yeah, all three of those fights. Love to see it. How well does Till work when somebody tries to smother him with every kind of pressure imaginable like Hermansson? He's the better striker, more traditional power, but Hermansson is so greasy/aggro that he will disrupt Till's karate outfighting flow. But Hermansson is there to be hit, soooo... Fantastic fight on paper. Has the matchmaking improved since Silva retired? They have made a lot of really great fights the last few years and even though the narratives and journeys aren't what they used to be, the fight quality is better now than it ever has been. A lot of that is the maturation of the sport but I think they've done a really good job with their top/skilled fighters.

I'd like to maybe see them do a better job building up prospects better, less bullshit interim title fights (man title fights have been devalued the last 5 years or so), and giving us those big logical, almost wrestling storylines we used to get back in the day. They've mastered the art of random violence though.

4 minutes ago, Jiji said:

Oh my fucking gawwwd, I love that fight! Yeah, all three of those fights. Love to see it. How well does Till work when somebody tries to smother him with every kind of pressure imaginable like Hermansson? He's the better striker, more traditional power, but Hermansson is so greasy/aggro that he will disrupt Till's karate outfighting flow. But Hermansson is there to be hit, soooo... Fantastic fight on paper. Has the matchmaking improved since Silva retired? They have made a lot of really great fights the last few years and even though the narratives and journeys aren't what they used to be, the fight quality is better now than it ever has been. A lot of that is the maturation of the sport but I think they've done a really good job with their top/skilled fighters.

More diverse roster to play with and less grudges against the actual fighters themselves, which probably helps. 

I'd like to maybe see them do a better job building up prospects better, less bullshit interim title fights (man title fights have been devalued the last 5 years or so), and giving us those big logical, almost wrestling storylines we used to get back in the day. They've mastered the art of random violence though.

Joe Silva was a giant wrestling fan so there is that.

Yeah, and they had the coaches grudge feuds on TUF back when people actually watched it. I feel like that sort of shit is the only thing consistently missing that they once did really well. Having Rampage Jackson around to stir shit up really helped too. They've done a pretty good job building up some animosity with that tremendous hype video for Adesanya/Costa. 

20 minutes ago, Jiji said:

Yeah, and they had the coaches grudge feuds on TUF back when people actually watched it. I feel like that sort of shit is the only thing consistently missing that they once did really well. Having Rampage Jackson around to stir shit up really helped too. They've done a pretty good job building up some animosity with that tremendous hype video for Adesanya/Costa. 

To be fair, I'm pretty sure Spike played a hand in facilitating stuff like that because they had a vested interest in TUF through the first several seasons. It wasn't until the final Spike seasons/FS1/FX season where it got kinda mediocre. Like I don't remember shit from the Bisping vs. Miller TUF season probably because that was the lameduck TUF season before they went to Fox. I think the issue in the Fox era is Fox besides stuff here and there (their first TUF season was live if you remember that) were hands off with the UFC and instilled a bunch of trust in the UFC to take care of all that. I think if you're going to do big time, mainstream reality shows/actual events/shoulder programming with MMA or combat sports in general, it has to be a collaborative effort much like Dick Ebersol and NBC with Vince and Saturday Night's Main Event. Yes, you get visionaries or geniuses behind the scenes that can make it work for whatever entity that is being broadcasted. However, most of these folks should not be left to their own devices. That's a recipe for disaster in most cases.