DVDVR Message Board

2020 Non-Event General MMA Talk Thread

Elsalvajeloco

11 minutes ago, TheVileOne said:

Is trusting EA ever not a mistake?

I don't follow gaming as I used to as I'm on the Xbox 360 and tend to play much games as I used to either. If I had to say the best MMA game ever, it would either be EA MMA (2010) or UFC Undisputed 3 (2012) for my birthday that year from my Mum and Dad. EA MMA's gameplay, the diverse roster and the different set of rules: Unified, Strikeforce, Japan and Vale Tudo. UFC Undisputed 3 is the best UFC game of those I've played for the gameplay (hate mirror controls struggle with those through the Cerebral Palsy), graphics and as an added bonus, the inclusion of PRIDE Fighting Championship which was well done. When THQ went under, I actually wanted EA to get the rights because of EA MMA. I gather EA'S UFC games ain't the best?

15 hours ago, Jiji said:

I like how the picture of Stipe makes it look like he's incredulous Dana ain't said anything about him. Dude was kinda done dirty by those preview videos. They were going hard in for DC and I totally get why but I'm sure Stipe must've felt a little slighted though he's probably used to it by now. Tough night for the people UFC was probably hoping to win between DC, O'Malley, maybe JDS, and Herbert Burns. Them's the breaks.

I wonder how much of Chandler could be like Gaethje in that he fights to his opponent's level and because LW is such a batshit insane division that would actually be a good thing for him. Gaethje has also improved tre-fucking-mendously mind you and Chandler is 34 already.

They definitely wanted Jairzinho to win in the JDS matchup. They realize what Junior is. He's basically a stopgap gatekeeper. I mean Anik was going through the other night how many times he has been a headliner and that being his first three round fight in half a decade. You need a short notice main event at HW...you can throw Junior in there off a win or loss. Jairzinho getting a win and back on track gives them another name. 

Whether it's for a interim title or not, they had to do a title eliminator at some point. Marreta vs. Blachowicz a year and a half ago wasn't the best fight so it makes sense to not to do that again. Blachowicz has been the hottest he has been in his entire career, and Reyes is coming off a great performance against the champion. One of those three guys was going to have to fall out of the fray. Moreover, they were going to have resolve the situation with Jon. If they can make the biggest fights possible out of this (and it seems like that's on the table right now), they're going to go with that option.

I definitely get the logic but I hate to see Jones vacate the title when he has three legitimate contenders, two of whom he holds very questionable decisions over (particularly Reyes, but Marreta fought the majority of the fight on one working leg and still came so close). I don't think it would be wise for Jones to be hopping between divisions, but he's the best of all time so who am I to say he'd be hurt going yoyoing? 

10 minutes ago, Jiji said:

I definitely get the logic but I hate to see Jones vacate the title when he has three legitimate contenders, two of whom he holds very questionable decisions over (particularly Reyes, but Marreta fought the majority of the fight on one working leg and still came so close). I don't think it would be wise for Jones to be hopping between divisions, but he's the best of all time so who am I to say he'd be hurt going yoyoing? 

I don't know if he is going to vacate the real title, or it's just interim title at UFC 253 and Jon will come back to fight the winner. The only one who loses out really in that scenario is Ngannou because there aren't any more guys for him to squash at heavyweight.

17 minutes ago, Jiji said:

That Rozenstruik dude looks like he could be a helluva matchup. Oh wait. ? 

Do you think if they ran back Lewis/Ngannou again, would it be a similar style of fight?

I thought about it, but then quickly dismissed it. Personally, I think Ngannou chooses to wait.

Derrick Lewis isn't a world beater but he always has a puncher's chance. The KO of Rozenstruik was great, but remember, it was basically two trains colliding and whoever landed first won. Ngannou got there first, and that's what happened. Why give Lewis an opportunity to do what Rozenstruik couldn't do? Whoever is advising Ngannou shouldn't take that fight. If I have to fight Derrick Lewis, unless my wrestling is top notch, I would rather fight him on the other side when and where I have a title around my waist. He's a perfect trap fight (look at what happened to Volkov). You're suppose to beat him easily, and then he knocks your head into the seventh row. Screw that.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

Rumble is back in the pool!

Something to think Rumble fought at Welterweight. Not surprised he missed that weight limit twice and then he failed to make weight two times at Middleweight as well. Rumble has heavy hands.