DVDVR Message Board

2020 Non-Event General MMA Talk Thread

Elsalvajeloco

Tim Sylvia. NSFW:

EZns_7fUYAAXhkK?format=jpg&name=900x900

Still one of the nastiest injuries in UFC history. I wonder if Uncle Dana will change his mind if the publicity turns negative towards the UFC?

Edited by The Natural

On 5/31/2020 at 10:07 AM, The Natural said:

Been waiting for UFC to put this on YouTube. Robbie Lawler vs. Carlos Condit. An all time classic fight. There's only two other MMA fights I rate above this (#2: Edgar/Maynard II and #1: Griffin/Bonnar I). The fifth round was incredible, I was ducking and weaving. I hardly ever do that. Condit was never the same after this fight, he lost by split decision when he won the fight. Still pissed Dana White didn't book an immediate rematch between the two. Such a lost opportunity. Watch this fight!

On 5/31/2020 at 7:55 PM, twiztor said:

i rank this as my #1 fight of all time

I can understand why. Incredible fight.

Good for him. I know they'll just end up paying him to shut him up but there will not be a fighters' union until one of the top guys gets involved at a serious level and not just using it for bargaining purposes.

Edited by Oyaji

As first I wasn't going to post this because I didn't want to reignite anything I felt I already dealt with. However, in light of this Jorge Masvidal thing...it looks like it's unavoidable discussion. Apparently, John S. Nash has also been looking into this pay discussion. Since he has covered the class action lawsuit extensively, maybe he should be able to give some type of summation:

https://www.bloodyelbow.com/2020/6/2/21275941/ufc-finances-how-much-does-jon-jones-make-fighting-for-the-ufc

It feels like we're reaching a watershed moment.

1 hour ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

As first I wasn't going to post this because I didn't want to reignite anything I felt I already dealt with. However, in light of this Jorge Masvidal thing...it looks like it's unavoidable discussion. Apparently, John S. Nash has also been looking into this pay discussion. Since he has covered the class action lawsuit extensively, maybe he should be able to give some type of summation:

https://www.bloodyelbow.com/2020/6/2/21275941/ufc-finances-how-much-does-jon-jones-make-fighting-for-the-ufc

It feels like we're reaching a watershed moment.

i fully support athletes getting paid what they are worth, and i am completely against this "independent contractor" tag both here and in WWE. However, the article linked is full of guesses and estimates, so i find it hard to really buy in to what the author's saying. Again i agree with the sentiment, but don't use figures if they aren't accurate.

re: Fight Island
i really want to buy a UFC Fight Island tshirt. But all of the designs are fucking trash and overpriced. i feel like i may have already said that, but it bears repeating.

• Thanks 2

12 minutes ago, twiztor said:

However, the article linked is full of guesses and estimates, so i find it hard to really buy in to what the author's saying. Again i agree with the sentiment, but don't use figures if they aren't accurate.

When you're dealing with a company that has went above and beyond hiding what fighters are being paid, there is a going to be a ton of guesswork. Hell, that's the reason why the trial for the class action lawsuit hasn't actually started and we're five and half years into it.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, supremebve said:

Am I the only one who thinks Fight Island is a hoax?  

FWIW, I believe it's going to be in Guam.

Second, we had BodogFIGHT on Ion. That was pretty much Fight Island before Fight Island (even though Costa Rica technically isn't an island).

I’m really intrigued by the fight they booked earlier today for 7/25. Alexander Gustafson vs Fabricio Werdum at Heavyweight. I know The Mauler would get literally mauled by Francis, but outside of him I think he can have a good run in a new weight class. 

On 4/10/2020 at 7:49 AM, Elsalvajeloco said:

Don't worry...if things don't get back to normal pretty soon, a good portion of the MMA media won't even exist anymore.

Well...shit, it looks like we're here.

The Athletic website announced today it had cut 46 staff members,which was eight percent of its working force. The cuts were across all sports and among the MMA names cut were Chuck Mindenhall, Dan Stupp, Josh Gross and Chad Dundas. They cited that subscription growth was not at the rate it had been, which is hardly surprising with less live sports.

https://www.f4wonline.com/daily-updates/daily-update-athletic-jorge-masvidal-bobby-fulton-312676

Stupp was the managing editor for the MMA section of The Athletic. Looks like Ben Fowlkes, Fernanda Prates, and Shaheen "Shaun" Al-Shatti are still there as full time MMA journalists (Greg Rosenstein covers both boxing and MMA).

Edited by Elsalvajeloco

Good on Jorge Masvidal. He's in a good position right now, and if he's not in a hurry to fight, go ahead and sweat this out.

Just seems like WWE and/or UFC should be taking steps to remove the independent contract label because they aren't true independent contractors when the organization has so much control over when and where they perform and they can't work or perform elsewhere. 

Fight Island aside, Dana White mentioned to Brett Okamoto they spent up to $30-$40 million to put together these pandemic events. If they're willing to spend all that money to say they were the first sport back during the pandemic, why not work something that can financially benefit their roster across the board?

BTW There is a report out of Brazil that Fight Island is in Abu Dhabi. So I'm guessing it's Yas Island which has already hosted three UFC events (UFC 112, Minotauro vs. Nelson, and UFC 242). If that report is to be believed, it's not even what did BodogFIGHT did in Costa Rica or the old school NHB shows (like World Vale Tudo Championships) where they contested fights on some exotic beach in Aruba. It's a place they did shows recently.

3 minutes ago, Oyaji said:

That is weak. I wanted Dana in the Shao Kahn throne and everything. 

Based on how confident Meltzer was in saying it was Guam, I'm guessing that was probably the original choice before they decided to switch it to Abu Dhabi. They probably ran into some red tape as in "Hell no, you can't do your fights here."

I'm pretty sure this is confirmation of my belief that fight island is a hoax.  It never made any sense.  They were going to buy an island, build infrastructure, import all production crew, medical crew, construction people, etc., and as soon as things open up just leave it? They are arguing with two of their bigger  draws over money, they'd never do that.

32 minutes ago, supremebve said:

I'm pretty sure this is confirmation of my belief that fight island is a hoax.  It never made any sense.  They were going to buy an island, build infrastructure, import all production crew, medical crew, construction people, etc., and as soon as things open up just leave it? They are arguing with two of their bigger  draws over money, they'd never do that.

Early in this pandemic, I think they were probably leaning towards doing that. After they stand down call, they probably realized by the time all this gets done, there are probably going to be more viable options even if most stuff isn't opened back up. For that Joshua vs. Ruiz II fight, it took Eddie Hearn a lot of time and effort to build just that arena. Keep in mind, when UFC came back to Abu Dhabi for that Minotauro/Nelson card I believe, there was that whole controversy about basically slave labor being used. That was over the course of like 3-4 weeks. If they really wanted to do something like that, it would be over the course of 3-4 months to get all that done. And that's being conservative. You're not getting it done in two or three weeks.

Edited by Elsalvajeloco