DVDVR Message Board

2020 Non-Event General MMA Talk Thread

Elsalvajeloco

I’m watching the newest episode of Ariel and The Bad Guy on ESPN+ now, and while I usually like and support Chael and his opinions his take on the heavyweight division completely sucks. He’s defending Stipe like he’s making money off of him somehow. Trying to say he’s “entitled to time to train, and prepare because he’s being asked to fight a straight up killer”. Umm excuse me, but when has DC ever been considered that? His most dangerous weapon is his eye pokes that he learned from the jackass champion at 205. Plus as DC correctly pointed out yesterday if Stipe is committed he can get equipment sent to him to prepare with. 

My other is with Chael defending Stipe was this claim: “He’s been disrespected right along, and should have received a title fight way before he fought Werdum.” Okay let’s look at this wonderful career before that fight:

UFC debut Win vs Joey Beltran, Win vs Philip De Fries, Win vs Shane Del Rosario, Loss to Stefan Struve 

Win vs Roy Nelson, Win vs Gabriel Gonzaga, Win vs Fabio Maldonado (moved up from 205), Loss to Junior Dos Santos

Win vs Mark Hunt, Win vs Andrei Arvloski, Win vs Werdum for the Belt

So where in that time period did he “earn” a title fight sooner? Coming off the loss to Struve??? Beating a jobber from 205??? ? He got the fight as soon as he was worthy of it (unless he’d beat JDS, but hey he didn’t according to the judges and according to MMAdecisions.com 11 of the 17 MMA outlets had Dos Santos winning, 1 had it a draw, and only 5 had Stipe winning. Also 80% of the fans that scored it had JDS winning). 

Edited by MavsFan77
Autocorrect f’d up Chael’s name

23 minutes ago, MavsFan77 said:

Well nobody can bitch about wrestling t-shirt prices after seeing those. ?

Yeah, the prices for UFC/Reebokvare fucking scandalous. Check out page two of this thread for my UFC/Reebok rant:

You'll see a such a difference in quality/price to the two UFC Sherpa Hoodies bought for me in 2010-2011 to Reebok's equivalent. Give me the UFC merch and different brands in TapouT, Bad Boy and Venom before the UFC/Reebok era.

Edited by The Natural
  • Thanks 1

Those shirts are rightfully campy. 

So what happens if there is a medical emergency on fight island? They'll have a small medical setup I'm sure but if a brother say takes a severe ass beating the likes we've seen twice now this past week or worse and needs to go to the hospital, do they have to ship em off on a fucking helicopter or boat? That seems dangerous. This is a sport that has seen deaths resulting from its violence. What the fuck happens if somebody gets seriously hurt in the middle of nowhere on Dana's vanity island? 

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, The Natural said:

Yeah, the prices for UFC/Reebokvare fucking scandalous. Check out page two of this thread for my UFC/Reebok rant:

You'll see a such a difference in quality/price to the two UFC Sherpa Hoodies bought for me in 2010-2011 to Reebok's equivalent. Give me the UFC merch and different brands in TapouT, Bad Boy and Venom before the UFC/Reebok era.

I had one of those nice red/black ones like you did before too. The quality of the new ones look like crap especially compared to those. 

I know too people complained about how ugly some of the shirts those companies put out were, but to me they looked way better than the Reebok stuff. Plus as you pointed out it made the fighters all feel more unique, and like they had personalities. 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, MavsFan77 said:

I had one of those nice red/black ones like you did before too. The quality of the new ones look like crap especially compared to those. 

I know too people complained about how ugly some of the shirts those companies put out were, but to me they looked way better than the Reebok stuff. Plus as you pointed out it made the fighters all feel more unique, and like they had personalities. 

I agree with all you say. Cheers, bud!

6 minutes ago, Oyaji said:

Those shirts are rightfully campy. 

So what happens if there is a medical emergency on fight island? They'll have a small medical setup I'm sure but if a brother say takes a severe ass beating the likes we've seen twice now this past week or worse and needs to go to the hospital, do they have to ship em off on a fucking helicopter or boat? That seems dangerous. This is a sport that has seen deaths resulting from its violence. What the fuck happens if somebody gets seriously hurt in the middle of nowhere on Dana's vanity island? 

Dana White will rightly get blasted for it. You hope to fuck someone doesn't get severely hurt. Wouldn't surprise me if fighters have to sign a disclaimer going by the coronavirus one people had to sign for UFC 249. Word of that got out.

Edited by The Natural

I find this hilarious because Jessica lit into Claudia Gadelha after their fight in Japan for moving to the United States. Jessica made it seem like Claudia was just this complete sellout. Now, she's pretty much doing the same thing to improve her game.

Go ahead Joe Rogan, talk more nonsense about how this is bullshit and exaggerated, you fucking dope. Maybe this hitting close to a fighter he likes will actually knock some sense into him.

Since I'm lazy and haven't opted to remove JRE videos from my YouTube feed the video with Eddie talking about cornering Tony came up. I mean, Eddie made a lot of sense in that he didn't think he would be put in that position and that's not his forte. At the same time, Eddie is dumb as fuuuuuuuuuuuck.

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, Craig H said:

Since I'm lazy and haven't opted to remove JRE videos from my YouTube feed the video with Eddie talking about cornering Tony came up. I mean, Eddie made a lot of sense in that he didn't think he would be put in that position and that's not his forte. At the same time, Eddie is dumb as fuuuuuuuuuuuck.

They delegated to him because out of those three (Holloway, Tony's MT coach, and Bravo) he's the most senior mind in that corner. The guy has been around for damn near twenty years when it comes to just UFC, period. Like I said before the fight, Rashad Holloway just turned up randomly in MMA between two to three years ago. I'm not as familiar with Fonua so I'm guessing he has been mostly helping guys in the Southern California MMA scene than having big fight experience. That's sort of a big issue with guys who go on these long winning streaks with these young teams. They're perfectly fine when everything is going according to plan. However, when trouble comes up, that's when disaster strikes.

16 minutes ago, Oyaji said:

Was he always like that or did he get permafried? 

I watched and listed to JRE for too fucking long and in that time you can see Eddie's descent into madness, but if you think about it, he's always been really fucking stupid and easily duped. I think some of it is all the DMT, weed, and a lot of alcohol. That has exacerbated how dumb he is and Trump taking over along with all of the conspiracy nuts figuring out they weren't alone in their thinking and developing a louder voice just drove him further down the rabbit hole. Even still, he's always believed in stupid shit like Tower 7, chemtrails, Nibiru, 2012, faked moon landings, and so on. Now he's just even deeper into the conspiracies and with so many others parroting the same dumb bullshit along with all of the substances he takes in he's just completely gone.

And despite all of that, he's a fucking wizard at BJJ. It's like how Ben Carson is somehow a brain surgeon, but also one of the dumbest people you'll ever hear speak.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

They delegated to him because out of those three (Holloway, Tony's MT coach, and Bravo) he's the most senior mind in that corner. The guy has been around for damn near twenty years when it comes to just UFC, period. Like I said before the fight, Rashad Holloway just turned up randomly in MMA between two to three years ago. I'm not as familiar with Fonua so I'm guessing he has been mostly helping guys in the Southern California MMA scene than having big fight experience. That's sort of a big issue with guys who go on these long winning streaks with these young teams. They're perfectly fine when everything is going according to plan. However, when trouble comes up, that's when disaster strikes.

You make a very good point about seniority, which makes that excerpt even more disappointing. Bravo simultaneously talks about how he's been at 150 UFCs, and everyone knows how experienced he is, and then goes on about how he didn't want to be head coach, he can't talk to Tony in that situation, his glasses went missing. 

Like @Craig H says, he has one skill (at an admittedly insane level), which he has parlayed into wealth (cool) and millions of people hearing him every week (not so cool). Were he a boxer and not a BJJ guy, I'd say that he had one too many punches to the noggin, but maybe he's just a dumb guy with one great skill. Anyone who watches the Premier League knows how prevalent that is.

• Thanks 1

On ‎5‎/‎14‎/‎2020 at 3:59 PM, The Natural said:

Returning to this post, does anyone here wear MMA clothing?

I have:

UFC red and black Sherpa full zip hoodie.

UFC grey Sherpa full zip hoodie.

UFC beanie hat.

TapouT grey full zip hoodie.

TapouT black with white trim shirt.

TapOuT green shirt.

I had a couple of other TapouT shirts but got rid of them. Surreal to me that TapouT was an MMA brand and since March 2015, it's become WWE's clothing line.