DVDVR Message Board

2020 Non-Event General MMA Talk Thread

Elsalvajeloco

And despite all of what you say being 100% true, he's somehow managed to go 12 fights in a row without snatching defeat from the jaws of victory in the sport's toughest division. He's an anomaly and definitely one of the best fighters to watch in combat sports from an entertainment standpoint. 

My memory is completely terrible remembering how fights of the past went 99% of the time. Has anybody threatened Khabib from the bottom with a submission? With how he entangles one's legs with his kneeling figure four stance, how good he is at maintaining posture AND control, I'd find it hard to see a way in snatching him with any legitimate submission. 

16 minutes ago, Oyaji said:

And despite all of what you say being 100% true, he's somehow managed to go 12 fights in a row without snatching defeat from the jaws of victory in the sport's toughest division. He's an anomaly and definitely one of the best fighters to watch in combat sports from an entertainment standpoint. 

My memory is completely terrible remembering how fights of the past went 99% of the time. Has anybody threatened Khabib from the bottom with a submission? With how he entangles one's legs with his kneeling figure four stance, how good he is at maintaining posture AND control, I'd find it hard to see a way in snatching him with any legitimate submission. 

Looking at some stats...no one is even attempting submissions on him let alone threatening him. Besides a couple guillotine chokes (one from Michael Johnson and then one from Poirier), it's literally been nothing.

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

I keep waiting for someone to tip over the Tony Ferguson cart. Like it always feels IMO like Ferguson is on the brink of losing somehow. Even in fights like with Cerrone where you expect him to just dominate, in the pit of my stomach I'm just waiting for him to get cracked. Against Khabib, he can basically get ragdolled for three or four rounds and then pull off a miracle submission. It's the weird aura that if he is getting outworked or beat up, he's never really out of a fight. Then, it's vice versa if he is winning a fight handily. I never feel confident picking his fights.

Ferguson loses the first round of every fight, get dropped, stunned, and hit square on the chin over and over again...but somehow still just overwhelms his opponents.  His fighting style is like everything else about him, the more you try to think about it, the less it makes sense.  

• Like 4

The POTUS said that these leagues aren't designed to be shut down, and he wants sports back rolling in August and September.

Then the Gov of California Gavin Newsom said not in his state. 

There ya go.

1 minute ago, hammerva said:

Did Inoki set up a Venmo account from the grave?

If they fight on the island they must live on it Survivor style 

Fuck...did the Rona get Inoki too? When did he die?

3 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

Fuck...did the Rona get Inoki too? When did he die?

Well I'll be damned he is still alive.  I haven't heard from him in so long I though he was dead.  

MY BAD. ?

Edited by hammerva
  • Sad 1

This is freaking absurd and there's no way this should be allowed. Not to mention, Ferguson is fighting Justin Gaethje. It's a ridiculous fight. Dude has won 12 fights in a row and still gets screwed out of a title shot...again. No. 1 bullshit.

What about people who are asymptomatic and could have the virus? At the end of the day, we don't know a damn thing about the medical testing they are going to be doing for this show. Also this:

https://mmajunkie.usatoday.com/2020/04/association-of-ringside-physicians-urges-end-combat-sports-during-covid-19

The Association of Ringside Physicians has been actively following the recommendations of the CDC as well as other professional medical societies concerned with the spread of COVID-19, or novel coronavirus.

Sporting events across the world have been cancelled in response to the increased risk of infection and transmission by participants, fans, officials, and support staff.

It is our recommendation that all combat sporting events be postponed until further notice. This includes any and all events, regardless of the number of people involved. Any combat sport taking place during this global pandemic places the athletes, officials, and anyone else involved in the event under unnecessary risk of infection and transmission of Covid-19. In addition, combat sports athletes often require medical attention after a bout, and we do not wish to see any additional strain on an already overwhelmed medical system.

We continue to monitor this ever-evolving situation, and our thoughts continue to be with those who have been and will be affected by this disease.

Our organization remains steadfast in our mission: to serve, protect, and educate all involved in combative sports.

Edited by TheVileOne
  • Like 1

Today in If Videogames were Real Life: Millionaire Oligarch Summons World's Top Martial Artists to Private Island for Tournament. Death a Possibility!

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

I'm hoping that UFC has been assured they will a sufficient supply of tests available to make this feasible.  That seems to be the lynch pin of baseball trying to start back up in a month or two.   Then again, it's UFC so... who knows.  

Would be lying if I said I'm not hoping they pull this off.  It's kinda absurd, but it'd be a positive sign if they could someone resume shows.  Besides. we may get to see someone stabbed with a sword made of ice.  How often do you see that?

Edited by Tarheel Moneghetti

5 hours ago, Oyaji said:

He's not even going to tell them where the event is happening. This is so fucked up. 

The American fighter/fighters who can get in/out of the US site is supposedly Lemoore, CA, site of pre-Zuffa WEC, Christian Printup's old Palace Fighting Championships MMA and boxing events, and the apparently now defunct Tachi Palace Fights. 

I wonder if Dana will allow his old friend (Jeff) Sherwood to show up and take pictures. Probably not. ?

The island site for fighters who cannot get into the states or elsewhere is going to get out sooner than later.