DVDVR Message Board

2020 Non-Event General MMA Talk Thread

Elsalvajeloco

1 hour ago, Happ Hazzard said:

Is there any way of finding out what is on UFC Fight Pass without subscribing to it?

I don't think so. Maybe someone on Reddit probably has a comprehensive guide, but I don't know one offhand. At one point, you could just go to UFC.tv or UFC.com/fightpass and just use the search bar to find whatever without being a subscriber.

If you're looking for something specific or obscure, I would just use "*insert event/fighter name*" + "fight pass" as search terms into Google. For example, I can put something like "Pancrase 282" "fight pass" into Google and up comes up results at the top with a link to said event and other stuff. I think that may be the only workaround with the other option I stated above not available.

Due to a leg injury, Valentina Shevchenko is out of her title defense against Joanne Calderwood that was scheduled to take place at UFC 251 in Perth, Australia on June 6. Shevchenko told ESPN that she thinks she’ll be healthy and ready by the end of August. Shevchenko also said the injury happened in her fight against Katlyn Chookagian in February and didn't heal all the way.

https://www.f4wonline.com/daily-updates/daily-update-owens-vs-rollins-elias-valentina-shevchenko-injury-307826

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, The Natural said:

I vaguely remember something getting cancelled in MMA on this day and I had to stress it wasn't an April Fools. Was it a Khabib/Ferguson cancellation or somebody getting injured on Fight Week? Thanks?

https://www.mmamania.com/2018/4/1/17187016/how-did-tony-ferguson-injure-his-knee-ufc-223

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, AA484 said:

Four days of house arrest during a time of quarantine is nothing.

It's something when one of the things you got in trouble for is going outside.

Seriously though, the state wasn't going to waste time on something like this. The biggie is the year probation. At most, he was gonna get a day or two in prison. That's it. With what's going on and only having misdemeanors, he might as well do that shit at his house. He wasn't going to get loose of the probation though.

5 minutes ago, Craig H said:

Wow. That'll set him straight.

He wasn't going to get really punished with this other than probation. The offenses weren't that serious and one of the arresting officers has a prior history w/ Jon and some other stuff going on with him. They weren't going to waste resources on one or two days in jail and probation.

Just now, Elsalvajeloco said:

He wasn't going to get really punished with this other than probation. The offenses weren't that serious and one of the arresting officers has a prior history w/ Jon and some other stuff going on with him. They weren't going to waste resources on one or two days in jail and probation.

Dude, I just wanted to make a flip comment.

Just now, Elsalvajeloco said:

You should save some of those for the next time this comes around.

I mean, the well has pretty much run dry. There's not much new to say except, "holy shit, Jon Jones is actually going to prison." And to that I doubt any of us ever say that. Dude has more lives than a cat. Like Ariel said, Jon is basically living a 30 for 30 except at this point it's going to need to be like the 2003 Chicago Cubs one or if we're lucky, the upcoming series about the Chicago Bulls. I hope to hell there's just a ton of video of Jones and all of his antics so in 10 years or so we get an epic documentary series about him.

23 minutes ago, Craig H said:

I mean, the well has pretty much run dry. There's not much new to say except, "holy shit, Jon Jones is actually going to prison." And to that I doubt any of us ever say that. Dude has more lives than a cat. Like Ariel said, Jon is basically living a 30 for 30 except at this point it's going to need to be like the 2003 Chicago Cubs one or if we're lucky, the upcoming series about the Chicago Bulls. I hope to hell there's just a ton of video of Jones and all of his antics so in 10 years or so we get an epic documentary series about him.

Personally, I can do without reliving a lot of this again. However, I will say that hopefully Jon uses this time to deal with his internal demons because they definitely do exist. He managed to stay out of trouble for awhile, but whatever triggered this little episode is cause for concern. So to me, it's not a case of someone else holding him accountable. He needs to put some of this bullshit aside and hold himself accountable. There have been countless stories like this in boxing (if we're doing the combat sports comparison), and it usually doesn't end up with a particularly happy ending.

4 hours ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

Personally, I can do without reliving a lot of this again. However, I will say that hopefully Jon uses this time to deal with his internal demons because they definitely do exist. He managed to stay out of trouble for awhile, but whatever triggered this little episode is cause for concern. So to me, it's not a case of someone else holding him accountable. He needs to put some of this bullshit aside and hold himself accountable. There have been countless stories like this in boxing (if we're doing the combat sports comparison), and it usually doesn't end up with a particularly happy ending.

I just don't see him staying out of trouble without a very long and extended stay in rehab. He needs actual commitment to being clean. No more alcohol or partying or drugs and the rest of that shit. That's going to require a lot of introspection on his part and also surrounding himself with a stronger support system. Ariel talked about how leading up to Jon's last fight he was still talking about going out and drinking and shit.

The road to sobriety is really fucking long. I hope Jon makes it instead of becoming one of the saddest stories in MMA where he's responsible for someone dying or he himself dies way too young or winds up in prison.

• Like 2

No one was gonna toss him into prison or in-house rehab in the middle of a pandemic, the main reason this got sorted so quickly is because everyone else has more pressing things to deal with. He probably could benefit from a stay in rehab but... now's not the time.

a second DWI?  that's inexcusable. and i think maybe the state my not know what "mandatory" means:

Defense attorneys previously told MMA Fighting that Jones could be charged as a second-time offender, exposing him to a mandatory 90-day jail sentence with up to one year in jail instead of a mandatory 48 hours in jail and maximum of 90 days and one year of probation for first-time offenders.

i also don't see anything about a suspended license. i know it varies state-to-state, but here, a 2nd offense means you lose your license for a full year. i know he lost it for a period of time after the first, so i thought that would be included.

Elsalvaje, you mention the year's probation being the big point, but for his October DC charge, he got a six month probation. This newest offense falls within that limit and there's seemingly very little in the way of consequences.

the deal comes five months after Jones pleaded no contest to a disorderly conduct charge. The UFC champ received a deferred 90-day sentence and six months of unsupervised probation, in addition to other punishments, but avoided jail time after being accused of assaulting a female employee of a strip club. He originally pleaded not guilty before reaching the agreement.

Jones received a 90-day deferred sentence that prevents him from violating the law, using alcohol or drugs, and returning to the scene all while being under unsupervised probation.

if this is all due to the COVID-19 outbreak, Jones has to be the luckiest man alive as far as getting out of trouble he should be in.

Edited by twiztor
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, twiztor said:

if this is all due to the COVID-19 outbreak, Jones has to be the luckiest man alive as far as getting out of trouble he should be in.

You could have said this shit about 3 years before any of us ever heard of COVID-19.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, twiztor said:

This newest offense falls within that limit and there's seemingly very little in the way of consequences.

They were going to always do a plea deal. He wasn't going to get any of that. They just didn't drag it out. 

Moreover, it's not like Jon was going to be in there with a public defender.

Edited by Elsalvajeloco

Does anybody here think Tony can withstand Khabib's inexorable wrestling game? Closest level of wrestling he faced was Kevin Lee, right? It's been about 4 years (fuuuuuu) but Lee landed 3 of 6 takedowns in that fight. As dynamic, wiry, durable, and strong willed as Ferguson is, I have a hard time seeing him pulling it off. Still feel we absolutely need that fight later this year or whenever the Madness stops despite that. 

1 hour ago, Oyaji said:

Does anybody here think Tony can withstand Khabib's inexorable wrestling game? Closest level of wrestling he faced was Kevin Lee, right? It's been about 4 years (fuuuuuu) but Lee landed 3 of 6 takedowns in that fight. As dynamic, wiry, durable, and strong willed as Ferguson is, I have a hard time seeing him pulling it off. Still feel we absolutely need that fight later this year or whenever the Madness stops despite that. 

I keep waiting for someone to tip over the Tony Ferguson cart. Like it always feels IMO like Ferguson is on the brink of losing somehow. Even in fights like with Cerrone where you expect him to just dominate, in the pit of my stomach I'm just waiting for him to get cracked. Against Khabib, he can basically get ragdolled for three or four rounds and then pull off a miracle submission. It's the weird aura that if he is getting outworked or beat up, he's never really out of a fight. Then, it's vice versa if he is winning a fight handily. I never feel confident picking his fights.

• Like 1