DVDVR Message Board

2020 Non-Event General MMA Talk Thread

Elsalvajeloco

Oh shit, son.

"Boss, not yet."   Yoel Romero is a real mother fucking G.  Keep it cool until fight day.  If you're good at something, never do it for free.

As noted in the UFC 247 thread, Dana announced that James Krause is stepping in to take the Trevan Giles fight on 24 hours notice.

Edited by J.T.

I like how UFC is producing these early career Winky Wright/Glen Johnson type road warriors.

Matter of fact, Angela Hill should come out in LOD/Road Warriors facepaint. Difference meaning but why the hell not?

• Like 1

9 hours ago, J.T. said:

Oh shit, son.

"Boss, not yet."   Yoel Romero is a real mother fucking G.  Keep it cool until fight day.  If you're good at something, never do it for free.

As noted in the UFC 247 thread, Dana announced that James Krause is stepping in to take the Trevan Giles fight on 24 hours notice.

003_248_press_Israel_Adesanya_x_Yoel_Rom

giphy.gif

Edited by The Natural

UFC Fight Night on ESPN+ 30 is going to be held in Portland, OR on 4/11 and topped by the remade Overeem vs. Walt Harris bout, Esparza vs. Waterson, and Luque vs. Randy Brown.

UFC Fight Night on ESPN+ 31 is going to be held in Lincoln, NE on 4/25 and topped by Anthony Smith vs. Glover Teixeira, Antonina Shevchenko vs. Calvillo, Anthony Rocco (fka Tony) Martin vs. David Zawada, Michael Johnson vs. Evan Dunham, and Dern vs. Ariane Carnelossi.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, DreamBroken said:

fuckin. every time I get hyped to see Nicco fight again, something happens. 

Since that TUF final/title win, she has one fight. Roxy since that fight has had five.

Anyway:

Meltzer:

After all the controversy over the weekend with the Jon Jones-Dominick Reyes scoring, Invicta has announced that it will have open scoring, meaning they will announce to the crowd all three judges scores at the end of each round, starting with its 3/6 show in Kansas City. The Kansas Athletic Commission announced today that promoters will have the option to have open scoring or maintain things as they are. They are the first commission that I'm aware of in the U.S. to allow open scoring.

8 hours ago, The Natural said:

After all the controversy over the weekend with the Jon Jones-Dominick Reyes scoring,

I didn't see the fight, how bad was the decision?  Was it GSP vs. Hendricks bad, where most people see the fight one way but it is pretty easy to see how someone scored it for GSP...or was it Leonard Garcia bad?  The GSP vs. Hendricks fight has gone down as an all-time robbery, but I scored it for GSP every time I've watched it.  That fight is really close, but GSP won 3 out of 5 rounds despite him taking a beating while doing it.  Hendricks best moments are bigger than GSP's best moments in that fight, but he didn't do anything that would have caused for a 10-8 round.  It is a fight that you watch and think, "damn Georges got his ass kicked," but if you go round by round I think he did enough to win that decision.  

4 minutes ago, supremebve said:

I didn't see the fight, how bad was the decision?  Was it GSP vs. Hendricks bad, where most people see the fight one way but it is pretty easy to see how someone scored it for GSP...or was it Leonard Garcia bad?  The GSP vs. Hendricks fight has gone down as an all-time robbery, but I scored it for GSP every time I've watched it.  That fight is really close, but GSP won 3 out of 5 rounds despite him taking a beating while doing it.  Hendricks best moments are bigger than GSP's best moments in that fight, but he didn't do anything that would have caused for a 10-8 round.  It is a fight that you watch and think, "damn Georges got his ass kicked," but if you go round by round I think he did enough to win that decision.  

I really suggest you go back and watch the fight if you get a chance. An hour to 72 hours after a fight, you're getting a lot of raw emotion and bias. It's best you judge for yourself.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

I really suggest you go back and watch the fight if you get a chance. An hour to 72 hours after a fight, you're getting a lot of raw emotion and bias. It's best you judge for yourself.

I'll watch it when it shows up on Fight Pass, but I know exactly what you are talking about.  People still think that Gustafsson beat Jones, and I can't see any way to score that fight for Gustofsson.  Gustofsson won the 2nd and 3rd, and the first minute or three minutes of the 4th, but then Jones hits that spinning elbow and finishes the round beating the holy hell out of Gustafsson.  Round 4 would have been a 10-8 for Jones if he wasn't successful early, but there is no way possible he actually won that round.  If the round was 30 seconds longer I'm confident there wouldn't have been a 5th, he was getting smashed.

• Like 1

Worth noting is that apart from the decision, which was justifiable, was one judge turning in a score card that almost everyone felt wasn't in any way. I think most of the specific complaints are more about "how is that guy allowed to judge" than about the specific result of that fight.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, supremebve said:

Hope you get to see the fight. I scored it for Reyes, 1-3. Others scored it for Jones. I've seen worse decisions. The 49-46 scorecard to Jon Jones by Joe Solis is fucking indefensible. That's one of the worst scorecards I've come across in all my time watching boxing and MMA.

Edited by The Natural