DVDVR Message Board

2020 Non-Event General MMA Talk Thread

Elsalvajeloco

11 minutes ago, The Natural said:

I've always felt Dominick Cruz is the greatest Bantamweight Fighter of All Time and beat TJ Dillashaw in the fight above. Best comeback in MMA history as well. Said these long before Dillashaw pissed hot for EPO. Fuck him.

Bantamweight is the most underrated weight class.  It is a division that is often overlooked, but everyone near the top is an outstanding fighter with knockout power.  Someone asked who is the best fighter to never have a title fight, and then you realize that 6 of the top 10 bantamweights have never had a title shot.  That is a stacked division that is getting better by the day.  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, supremebve said:

Bantamweight is the most underrated weight class.  It is a division that is often overlooked, but everyone near the top is an outstanding fighter with knockout power.  Someone asked who is the best fighter to never have a title fight, and then you realize that 6 of the top 10 bantamweights have never had a title shot.  That is a stacked division that is getting better by the day.  

One of my favourite weight classes thanks to World Extreme Cagefighting and Dominick Cruz. Man, WEC was great with the focus on the lighter weight classes: Lightweight, Featherweight and Bantamweight.

2 minutes ago, supremebve said:

Why the fuck do we need uniforms in an individual sport?  

Exactly! I miss the individual looks: Anderson Silva's black and yellow, Rich Franklin's brown and pink. The days of TapouT, Bad Boy and Venum. Reebok's UFC clothes look fucking shit, tacky and way too expensive. My parents and little Sister bought me two UFC Sherpa Full Zip Hoodies back in 2010-2011, such a difference in quality and price:

ufc-hoodie.jpg

41II6TiDYdL._AC_SY400_.jpg

To:

30722_540x.jpg?v=1575987180

• Like 1

My biggest issue is that it would give the fighters a way to market themselves in a way that would ultimately make the UFC money.  They are terrible at making stars, so why not give your fighters a creative outlet that could help them become something bigger than the next guy.  You can set guidelines, but these guys should be able to wear whatever they want.  Everyone dressing exactly the same just makes them anonymous.  

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, supremebve said:

They are terrible at making stars

Not that I necessarily disagree with all of that sentiment, but who in MMA is making stars? Compared to every MMA promotion right now, UFC is like in a whole different stratosphere. They might not be selling a bunch of PPVs, but UFC's middle and upper tier is stacked with talent.

• RIPPA pinned this topic

Joanna Jedrzejczyk stupidly posted this:

EPZ19oiXUAEx38-?format=jpg&name=medium

Weili Zhang responds:

Well said. Joanna Jedrzejczyk must like the taste of her own feet. I've soured on Joanna ever since the build to her fight with Rose Namajunas when Thug Rose smashed her making Joanna tap to strikes at UFC 217. Hope there's a repeat here.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 1

Today I posted a clip in the February 2020 Wrestling Chatter thread of Dan Severn making his WWF entrance with the UFC and NWA Heavyweight Championship. I got talking about my introduction to Mixed Martial Arts. 

I watched UFC III in 1998, I believe and when Sky briefly aired a UFC show round about 2002 showing fights including Ken Shamrock vs. Dan Severn 1 and Randy Couture vs. Pedro Rizzo 2.

I became a hardcore MMA fan in 2005 when Bravo aired PPV's of UFC 24 hours later starting with UFC 51: Super Saturday, a UFC show replaying old fights in their entirety and Ultimate Knockouts. Watched MMA ever since 2005: UFC, PRIDE FC, Strikeforce, WEC and Bellator. I thank Bravo for that.

My user name comes from my favourite MMA fighter, Randy Couture. I had to change from The Crippler as I could no longer for obvious reasons in June 2007.

How did you become fans of MMA?

Edited by The Natural

10 hours ago, The Natural said:

How did you become fans of MMA?

had watched a few of the early UFCs on rented VHS tapes after hearing about this "human cockfighting" and "no rules fights". It was awesome, but we didn't have PPV at my house, none of my friends (or parents' friends) were into it, and i stopped hearing about then-current stuff, so there it ended. 

Fast forward to 2002, Tito Ortiz vs. Ken Shamrock at UFC 40: Vendetta. a couple friends had heard about Tito Ortiz and became big fans, while i appreciated Ken from his early UFC showings and WWF career. They hosted a big party where we were all ga-ga over the entire show. From there it spread to Pride and beyond. Have only not watched a couple major UFC cards live since then, even if my interest has waned the last couple of years.

• Thanks 1

That was a controversial decision. I have a soft spot for the UFC 143 show because I predicted nearly everything correctly for the Them's Fightin' Words 2012 prediction contest including the main event. I was one of the very few who went for Carlos Condit.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 1

On 2/6/2020 at 9:25 AM, The Natural said:

BMF-GWP---Mobile_720x.png?v=1580835405

Just what you always wanted!

That shit costs fucking $850.  I hope they haven't sold a single one.  Also, anyone who buys a replica Bad Mother Fucker belt has solidified the fact that he is not a Bad Mother Fucker.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, supremebve said:

That shit costs fucking $850.  I hope they haven't sold a single one.  Also, anyone who buys a replica Bad Mother Fucker belt has solidified the fact that he is not a Bad Mother Fucker.

They probably have sold a bunch of these.

12 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

They probably have sold a bunch of these.

I bet they have.  I've been to far too many MMA shows to think that there wasn't a line out the door to buy one.  I honestly don't think there is a fandom that is more full of dudes who will buy anything because they think it makes them tough than MMA fans.  Think about Tapout T-shirts, Affliction T-shirts, or any other shirts with aluminum foil accents.  I remember my friend bout some Mickey's malt liquor because they sponsored the UFC, and I was just staring at him like..."This is the shit the drunks in my old neighborhood would turn their noses up at."

• Like 2