DVDVR Message Board

2020 Non-Event General MMA Talk Thread

Elsalvajeloco

On 12/28/2019 at 12:39 AM, The Natural said:

This makes a strange amount of sense.  I was watching a video about his fights against Aldo and Brian Ortega, and why he was so effective.  One of the things that really confuses his opponents is that he changes stances randomly, and throws punches at a strange rhythm.  Apparently, most fighters footwork is predictive of the rhythm of their strikes, but Holloway's movement and strikes work almost completely independent of each other.  It's kind of what would happen if you trained yourself to strike playing a video game.  

• Like 2

On 1/10/2020 at 2:24 PM, supremebve said:

This makes a strange amount of sense.  I was watching a video about his fights against Aldo and Brian Ortega, and why he was so effective.  One of the things that really confuses his opponents is that he changes stances randomly, and throws punches at a strange rhythm.  Apparently, most fighters footwork is predictive of the rhythm of their strikes, but Holloway's movement and strikes work almost completely independent of each other.  It's kind of what would happen if you trained yourself to strike playing a video game.  

I wonder if Max Holloway learned submissions from the submission snake mini game? ;).

2 hours ago, twiztor said:

random question:

who is the best UFC fighter that never got a title shot?
open to interpretations on if you count the Pride/Strikeforce/WEC/invicta/etc belts or not.

Jacare, but he did have title fights outside of the UFC.  Matt Brown comes to mind as someone who has a hell of a resume, but never really got into title contention.  

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, supremebve said:

Jacare, but he did have title fights outside of the UFC.  Matt Brown comes to mind as someone who has a hell of a resume, but never really got into title contention.  

In this era with more titles and interim titles, there are a bunch of people who had streaks but then had an injury or were booked in an impromptu extra title eliminator they eventually lost. Ketlen Vieira is not the best example but there are more people like her now in the last five years than there were ten years ago. When a random dude like a Josh Grispi missed out on a title shot, everybody remembered. Now? There are people on five, six, and seven fight win streaks who get upset in a fight that only myself and a handful of people actually knew were on a verge of a title shot.

I could find better answers but Tyson Griffin years ago when Xtreme Couture was the gym is probably up there IMO. When all those XC dudes were on Tagg Radio/MMA Junkie radio talking about how they weren't going to fight each other even it was for a title, I immediately thought to myself, "You guys are EXTREMELY overestimating how long you're going to be good at this."  I remember when he was legit one of the top ten or fifteen best lightweights in the world and wasn't getting the credit he likely deserved because you still had a bunch of LWs out in Japan and other places. Then, you look up, he ain't even one of the best lightweights that fought in the UFC in a particular month. That's how cruel the sport is. You can become irrelevant just like that.

Edited by Elsalvajeloco
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, TheVileOne said:

So they are giving a title shot to a guy who is 1-3 in his last four fights and lost his last two.

2-2, he won that second Whitaker fight.  I honestly think he stopped him and the ref wasn't paying attention, but he also should have won the decision.

1 hour ago, supremebve said:

2-2, he won that second Whitaker fight.  I honestly think he stopped him and the ref wasn't paying attention, but he also should have won the decision.

If anyone actually watched Romero's recent slate of fights, weight cutting issues aside, I don't think they would have a big problem with Romero with getting a title shot. I think this is pretty much an obvious attempt to have a fantastic fight and get Adesanya over than "who is a legit #1 number contender". Carlos Condit, who is not like this spectacular draw, got a title shot on a one fight winning streak against a man coming off beating PAPY ABEDI and SETH BACZYNSKI. The fight was epic enough that the very few people who did care about that one particular detail shut the hell up afterwards. I don't know if this fight will be as good as that but it likely will be up there. This is how you build stars.

14 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

If anyone actually watched Romero's recent slate of fights, weight cutting issues aside, I don't think they would have a big problem with Romero with getting a title shot. I think this is pretty much an obvious attempt to have a fantastic fight and get Adesanya over than "who is a legit #1 number contender". Carlos Condit, who is not like this spectacular draw, got a title shot on a one fight winning streak against a man coming off beating PAPY ABEDI and SETH BACZYNSKI. The fight was epic enough that the very few people who did care about that one particular detail shut the hell up afterwards. I don't know if this fight will be as good as that but it likely will be up there. This is how you build stars.

Romero is a worthy challenger, especially if Costa is hurt.  He's technically 1-3 in his last four, but you can argue very easily that he won two of those fights.  The one where it isn't that arguable was as still an incredibly close fight.  The next contender is Darren Till, who has one middleweight fight.  Romero is by far the best contender in the division. If you go to MMA Decisions where they compile all the judging done on MMA sites, and look at Yoel Romero's last 3 losses.  They breakdown like this...

Costa 11 scorecards/Romero 11 scorecards

Whitaker 5 scorecards/Romero 15 scorecards - 8 Draws

Unanimous loss to Whitaker in their first fight 1 49-46 and 22 48/47 scorecards.  

• Like 1

I've always felt Dominick Cruz is the greatest Bantamweight Fighter of All Time and beat TJ Dillashaw in the fight above. Best comeback in MMA history as well. Said these long before Dillashaw pissed hot for EPO. Fuck him.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 1