DVDVR Message Board

2020 Non-Event General MMA Talk Thread

Elsalvajeloco

On 8/30/2020 at 11:35 PM, The Natural said:

Just announced 30 minutes ago. Fuck yeah.

That's going to be a fun fight.

Now let's get Bones/Stipe signed before Jones does something to fuck everything up. (BTW: This is the only money fight that makes sense, you don't want to drag Brock out of the mothballs and then wait six months for him to get ready.) Anyone else is simply a tune-up fight at this point. Considering Jones' "hobbies", you want to make this fight happen before Bones has a chance to do something silly and wind-up behind bars

Edited by OSJ
  • Like 1

Sadly, I think we missed the window for that fight. Plus, I don't think the UFC will entertain another Brock negotiation ploy/tactic and would want Brock to actually sign a contract. I think Brock used all the "Use the UFC for leverage" pieces on the punchcard.

• Like 1

MMA

• The UFC is targeting a rematch between Jorge Masvidal and Nate Diaz. The fight could potentially take place in January.
  • Dana White confirmed that the UFC is finalizing a welterweight title fight between Kamaru Usman and Gilbert Burns for UFC 256 on December 12. That PPV will also feature Amanda Nunes vs. Megan Anderson for the women’s featherweight title

https://www.f4wonline.com/daily-updates/daily-update-retribution-wwe-network-content-ufc-notes-319111

I'm sure some people would be interested and they'd try hard to build up the drama for the fight, but Masvidal so comprehensively beat Diaz that it seemed to me at least that Diaz would need a miracle to beat him in a rematch. I can't see it being a huge fight like the last one.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Jiji said:

I'm sure some people would be interested and they'd try hard to build up the drama for the fight, but Masvidal so comprehensively beat Diaz that it seemed to me at least that Diaz would need a miracle to beat him in a rematch. I can't see it being a huge fight like the last one.

I think it would be comparable, but I think they will need a better undercard. Also, there is that "well the fight probably got stopped early" sentiment some (i.e. fans of the Diaz brothers) might have. As long as Nate Diaz hovers around "the best fighter who definitely isn't in title contention in any weight class he's in", people will give a shit about him. However, who knows how long he will be at that level. One day, he's not going to be able to take the damage he's taken in past fights. If Jorge hits him with a big punch and Nate goes down and out, I think that's the end of Nate Diaz. The Diaz brothers have build their reputation partly on "You beat me, but you didn't really beat me." It's the whole "You never got me down, Ray..." line from Raging Bull. I think Nate knows if they put up against a lesser known guy who's ranked...he's fucked something serious. This is probably the best he could hope for. Masvidal is going to do another number on him, but probably won't try to murder him. Again, if Nate has slipped, it might end up that way.

• Like 1

Wouldn't a trilogy fight with McGregor be the big fight Diaz is looking for? Does anybody believe that dude isn't going to come out for another fight or two until somebody sleeps him one last time (applies for both)?

1 minute ago, Jiji said:

Wouldn't a trilogy fight with McGregor be the big fight Diaz is looking for? Does anybody believe that dude isn't going to come out for another fight or two until somebody sleeps him one last time (applies for both)?

I think the UFC wants to make Khabib-McGregor II more than McGregor-Diaz III. You can always make the latter because it's not like Nate is fighting other people really. He ain't challenging for a title anytime soon whereas the window for Khabib-McGregor II is much smaller.

5 minutes ago, Jiji said:

When Khabib smokes McGregor a second time, doesn't he lose a tonne of his mojo? 

You can find him another Cerrone type. Also, if it's Conor vs. Nate again, I don't think people will put much stock into another Khabib loss. He didn't look good in the first Khabib fight, and Nate definitely ain't Khabib.

Edited by Elsalvajeloco

17 minutes ago, Jiji said:

So they are pushing the Angela Hill fight up to the main event? 

Unless another main event appears out of thin air, I'm assuming that's going to be the main event. Without that fight, the card already has eleven fights.