DVDVR Message Board

2020 Non-Event General MMA Talk Thread

Elsalvajeloco

4 hours ago, TheVileOne said:

WTF, Mike Perry. SMH. Warning, language is NSFW

https://www.mmafighting.com/2020/7/8/21318251/video-mike-perry-punches-older-man-in-bar-dispute-policy-say-three-assaulted

So this happened in Lubbock, Texas. And Perry didn't get arrested after the police arrived. 

What the hell kind of police do they have that don’t arrest a jackass like that for assault? 

As for the NSFW language I read over at MMAfighting that his excuse is gonna be that he’s 2% African American which is a claim I know the idiot has used before. 

• Like 1

I remember the card going through changes on fight week because fuck up Jon Jones fucked up again. UFC 200 was a decent show (can't forget the yellow canvas!) considering that though it and UFC 150 didn't deliver (well UFC 150 provided one of the biggest robberies I've seen, Benson Henderson somehow retaining his UFC Lightweight Championship by split decison versus Frankie Edgar) as UFC 100 did. Lesnar getting revenge on Mir in their rematch becoming the undisputed UFC Heavyweight Champion with the promo he cut afterwards, GSP beating Alves to retain the UFC Welterweight Championship and THAT KO by Henderson to Bisping.

Edited by The Natural
  • Thanks 1

That fight is in 8 days. It'll be canceled. That division is a never-ending cycle of disappointment and failure beyond two great fighters. 

Ismail said Figueiredo tested positive for the virus two months ago after suffering from symptoms of the virus. But he denied the fighter was still infected and blamed the test for a positive result. He added Figueiredo’s corners also tested negative for COVID-19 and said the fighter will be tested again with the hopes of boarding another plane to Abu Dhabi on Sunday.

More.

Edited by Oyaji
  • Like 1

So does anyone actually want to see Usman vs Masvidal 2 right away besides Jorge? I see on ESPN.com that he’s demanding an immediate rematch. I know the first fight made a ton for Jorge so that’s awesome. I just don’t see why a fight that wasn’t competitive needs an immediate rematch. If he’d lost 48-47 on all 3 cards maybe. 

They'll likely wait and see what's out there for him, but I don't think he gets a rematch even if he did a huge solid for them. They still got Gilbert Burns and Leon Edwards, who basically is the MMA version of a mandatory. Why fight Usman again who you will have a super tough time with even with a full camp with all your trainers when you can take easier fights? 

Edited by Elsalvajeloco
  • Thanks 1

Hopefully, I can do a news dump later tonight because there have been so many fights made over the last three days. Again, I'm not sure if anything COVID-19 is going to take some of those fights immediately off the docket. Hence, why I waited for a minute.

2 hours ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

They'll likely wait and see what's out there for him, but I don't think he gets a rematch even if he did a huge solid for them. They still got Gilbert Burns and Leon Edwards, who basically is the MMA version of a mandatory. Why fight Usman again who you will have a super tough time with even with a full camp with all your trainers when you can take easier fights? 

That’s what I didn’t understand. He even referenced wanting this over a fight with Conor. Which is nuts for a couple of reasons. He’d have a much better shot at beating Conor, he’d get paid more for fighting Conor, and his fans wouldn’t be bored to death watching him even if he somehow lost to Conor. Saturday night I doubt even the most hardcore Jorge fan could say they were entertained watching Usman do the crappiest GSP impression imaginable against him. 

10 hours ago, MavsFan77 said:

So does anyone actually want to see Usman vs Masvidal 2 right away besides Jorge? I see on ESPN.com that he’s demanding an immediate rematch. I know the first fight made a ton for Jorge so that’s awesome. I just don’t see why a fight that wasn’t competitive needs an immediate rematch. If he’d lost 48-47 on all 3 cards maybe. 

No. Just like with Holloway/Volkanovski we can't keep running fights back until we get the results we want. Usman should be fighting the likes of Edwards or Burns next.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, MavsFan77 said:

That’s what I didn’t understand. He even referenced wanting this over a fight with Conor. Which is nuts for a couple of reasons. He’d have a much better shot at beating Conor, he’d get paid more for fighting Conor, and his fans wouldn’t be bored to death watching him even if he somehow lost to Conor. Saturday night I doubt even the most hardcore Jorge fan could say they were entertained watching Usman do the crappiest GSP impression imaginable against him. 

I'm assuming beating Usman was a component in getting the McGregor fight. If Masvidal beats Usman, Connor probably tweets "I'm back" afterwards. Jorge would have been the best route for Connor to get his third weight class title. And it would have worked out for Masvidal too because he could leverage being both Mr. BMF and Welterweight Champion (along with the buyrate numbers) for getting paid something close to what Connor would get.

I imagine they will try and do Usman vs. Burns next.  Even if Edwards is the equivalent of a mandatory contender, I think a match up with him and Masvidal for the next shot makes sense.  Both are 0-1 against Usman.  Edwards's L was years ago but I think they would still rather have a Masvidal rematch than an Usman/Edwards match because I think Usman's performance scared a lot of fans off.  At least with Masvidal, you have a big name that could potentially draw bigger numbers than an Usman/Edwards fight (or any Usman fight, really) and they could also play the "Masvidal getting a full training camp" card, too.  Of course, this is assuming that Masvidal gets by Edwards.

Edited by AA484
  • Like 1

As I said last night, there have been a slew of new fights and changes announced recently. I've been able to figure out which ones go where:

Whittaker vs. Till at the UFC Fight Island on 7/25
Paul Craig vs. Gadzhimurad Antigulov
Tanner Boser vs. Raphael Pessoa
Ramazan Emeev vs. Niklas Stolze
Nicolas Dalby vs. Jesse Ronson

Holm vs. Aldana at the UFC APEX on 8/1
Frankie Saenz vs. Jonathan Martinez
Luke Sanders vs. Chris Gutierrez

Lewis vs. Oleniek at the UFC APEX on 8/8 
Nasrat Haqparast vs. Alex Munoz
Ketlen Vieira vs. Yana Kunitskaya

UFC 252: Miocic vs. Cormier III at the UFC APEX on 8/15
John Dodson vs. Merab Dvalishvili

Romero vs. U. Hall at the UFC APEX on 8/22
Mariya Agapova vs. Shana Dobson
Ovince St. Preux vs. Shamil Gamzatov
Mizuki Inoue vs. Amanda Lemos

A. Smith vs. Rakic at the UFC APEX on 8/29
Ricardo Lamas vs. Ryan Hall
Ji Yeon Kim vs. Alexa Grasso
Emily Whitmire vs. Polyana Viana

Overeem vs. Sakai at TBA on 9/5
Alistair Overeem vs. Augusto Sakai
Michel Pereira vs. Zelim Imadaev
Nicco Montano vs. Julia Avila
Montana De La Rosa vs. Maryna Moroz

Gadelha vs. X. Yan at TBA on 9/26
Sarah Alpar vs. Jessica-Rose Clark
Randy Costa vs. Journey Newson

Also, Marlon Moraes and his wife contracted COVID-19 and both had symptoms enough for Marlon's wife to at least stay in the hospital for treatment and observation. However, it appears they are feeling much better and their children didn't contract it. Moraes is hopeful to have a fight with Cody Garbrandt in October.

• Like 4

Moraes/Garbrandt would have to be one of the quickest and most powerful striking duels possible in the UFC. That could be hella fun. Lots of goof stuff there but I'm perhaps most excited for grizzled vet 25 year old Mizuki Inoue. She has some of the better technical boxing in women's MMA outside of Zhang and Joanna.