DVDVR Message Board

2020 Non-Event General MMA Talk Thread

Elsalvajeloco

This is the reality of trying to put on fights and events during a global pandemic. I assume Yan vs. Aldo is the new main event. I highly doubt Usman is fighting anyone else on seven days' notice.

Irregardless of Yan vs. Aldo being a stupid matchup and Sterling being the guy who should've gotten the title shot.

Edited by TheVileOne
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, TheVileOne said:

I love Holloway and everything, but is everyone already overlooking Volkanovski again? Shouldn't they be pushing the actual champion as well?

I think part of it is they’re pushing the Max Holloway episode of Detail with DC that they have on ESPN+. I know last night when I went to watch Ariel and The Bad Guy that it was listed at the top of the main page, then also under featured episodes (where they list that days Sportscenter, PTI, Around The Horn, etc). 

So they must be paying DC a ton, since they’re pushing his show so hard. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, MavsFan77 said:

If they can book a fight for one of the later dates on fight island I could see Leon Edwards getting the shot as he’d have time to cut the weight, and safely travel there.

Leon Edwards lives in Birmingham, England. All the gyms in the UK have been closed for months (and don't open for another two weeks at least). It's unlikely he'd be able to get in fighting shape in time.

18 minutes ago, twiztor said:

you misspelled Marlon Moraes

I like Moraes, but he still lost to Cejudo. The two guys to book in the title fight were Yan and Sterling. They were both next in line before Aldo.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, AxB said:

Leon Edwards lives in Birmingham, England. All the gyms in the UK have been closed for months (and don't open for another two weeks at least). It's unlikely he'd be able to get in fighting shape in time.

I’d forgot about the UK gyms not being open so yeah that definitely kills my idea. Based on that, and the fact both Colby and Jorge would ask for dollar amounts that they won’t get paid it seems like the only move is to wait until they can rebook Burns vs Usman. 

Unless of course Dana gets pressured into doing something stupid like paying McGregor to come back, and fight Usman. But I don’t see the UFC owners deciding that’s the call to make. Especially with Cormier vs Miocic 3 next month, and the fact that should do a fair amount of buys. 

Edited by MavsFan77
Autocorrect screwed up a name

That is a really interesting fight. Claudia still does not seem to have much of her original confidence right now and Xiaonan is such a bully. I could see that being a slugfest if Gadelha doesn't get steamrolled.

• Like 1

So the UFC walks away from one of the fights they wanted originally, Masvidal vs. Usman, because Masvidal was asking for too much money. Instead they book Usman against a surging Burns because Burns is a lot cheaper and he's ready to take the fight. Burns falls out of the fight after testing for COVID-19. 

So they end up going back to the negotiating table and give Masvidal almost everything he wanted in the first place which was too much for UFC. Now, they end up booking the fight they should've put together that everyone wanted to see in the first place, except now it's on a few days' notice after they've been promoting an Usman/Burns fight for UFC 251. Instead of giving Masvidal what he wanted before so it's done and they can start pushing the Usman/Masvidal title fight and both men have more time to actually prepare for the biggest fight of their careers. But for whatever reason, UFC only wants to open up the pocketbooks when it's crunch time and they are left scrambling because of last minute craziness. Why is paying a fighter what they think their worth only tenable when you have to fix a big main event at the last minute?

Smart move, UFC people. 

Either way, props to Masvidal here. He gambled on himself, and it worked. UFC was forced to go back to the table for him, and he got mostly what he wanted apparently. 

Secondly, props to Usman for taking a fight like this on less than a week's notice. No matter what anyone says, he would've been well within his rights to not accept this change in opponents on such short notice. 

Edited by TheVileOne

Carlos Condit was never the same after this fight against Robbie Lawler for Lawler's UFC Welterweight Championship. Condit lost the split decision when he won the fight and an immediate rematch needed to happen dammit. It never did. Such a missed opportunity.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 1

No Paul Felder on commentary for the next couple shows due to possible COVID-19 exposure. He was seated next to Din Thomas on a flight from(?) Las Vegas. Din Thomas has since tested positive for COVID-19. Thus, Felder is in a two week quarantine. He's hopeful to be back for the 7/18 and 7/25 cards.