DVDVR Message Board

2020 Non-Event General MMA Talk Thread

Elsalvajeloco

6 minutes ago, Oyaji said:

Yup. Zhang/Joanna is one of the best MMA fights I've ever seen and it elevated the sport not just for women but the entire fucking sport. The dramatic momentum shifts, the high level skill, the crazy hematoma, and willpower on display was something that has to be seen. I'd go with Poirier and Hooker as the runner up and Burgos/Emmett at #3. There have been a wealth of great fights the past couple of years though. Seems like you can add Hooker's name to the list of lightweights that are always going to give you a FOTYC or something amazing to watch alongside Poirier, Ferguson, and Gaethje. Felder/Hooker was one of the better fights this year too, I'd probably go 4th.

I was looking over Tapology's lists of Fights of the Year and how the fuck was Lawler/Conditt from 2016? It feels more like 2006 than just four years ago.

I'm with you on Zhang/Joanna. It surpassed my favourite WMMA fight ever, previously it was Tate/Rousey I or Nunes/Cyborg and entered my top five MMA fights of all time:

1. Griffin/Bonnar I.

2.Edgar/Maynard II.

3. Lawler/Condit.

4. Zhang/Joanna.

5. Jones/Gustaffsson I.

The heart, skill and technique by both Zhang and Joanna  with the latter on the receiving end of the nastiest hematoma ever. I love that fight.

Edited by The Natural

And I thought Jedrzejczyk was done as a top level fighter at that point... and I think she actually won the Zhang fight. Why isn't the rematch happening on one of the upcoming fight island PPVs? Ah, I see Zhang doesn't want a rematch. Hmmmmm, I can certainly understand why. How do fight negotiations like that work? The UFC can't force her hand, can they? Do they have to provide fighters' managers a few options or are there mandatory fights for title holders like in boxing?

Shifting topics, did anybody else see the discussion about UFC rankings? Panelists are given memos from the UFC before they submit their lists. It's not mandatory that they read them or take them on, but that's... interesting. Burgos fell four spots and Emmett didn't even go up one spot after their amazing slugfest the other week. The memo from UFC was talking about Burgos' losses and suggesting that he should drop in the rankings more or less. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Oyaji said:

And I thought Jedrzejczyk was done as a top level fighter at that point... and I think she actually won the Zhang fight. Why isn't the rematch happening on one of the upcoming fight island PPVs? Ah, I see Zhang doesn't want a rematch. Hmmmmm, I can certainly understand why. How do fight negotiations like that work? The UFC can't force her hand, can they? Do they have to provide fighters' managers a few options or are there mandatory fights for title holders like in boxing?

Shifting topics, did anybody else see the discussion about UFC rankings? Panelists are given memos from the UFC before they submit their lists. It's not mandatory that they read them or take them on, but that's... interesting. Burgos fell four spots and Emmett didn't even go up one spot after their amazing slugfest the other week. The memo from UFC was talking about Burgos' losses and suggesting that he should drop in the rankings more or less. 

Zhang/Jedrzejczyk deserves an immediate rematch just like Lawler/Condit although that never happened. Dana White screwed up. A fucking war, Condit dropped the shit decision when he actually won the fight. Thinking back to the fight and the fifth round as I type, getting shivers. That fifth round was fucking amazing.

Edited by The Natural

22 minutes ago, Oyaji said:

I thought Joanna won too, but I didn't think it was a robbery or anything.

If I'm Zhang I wouldn't want to fight that fight twice either.

I thought things couldn't get weirder than Don House being a QAnon supporter, but now we have an inference of "my family made me support Candace Owens".

MMA is slowly taking NASCAR's place as the most right wing sport.

• Like 1

Yeah, the minute she started spouting off scripture I got off that hype train real fast. 

Jinh Yu Frey on the other hand was a really impressive counter striker. I know she's an atomweight, but that could be another potential person to build a new division around alongside Waterson, if she could get down to 105 comfortably, but does the UFC want a division made of 99% Asian women? Who is going to read the scripture and complain about masks, damn it!?

Edited by Oyaji
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Oyaji said:

Yeah, the minute she started spouting off scripture I got off that hype train real fast. 

Religion, I don't have so much the problem with. You can't avoid that. With problematic political stuff, I might.

3 minutes ago, Oyaji said:

Jinh Yu Frey on the other hand was a really impressive counter striker. I know she's an atomweight, but that could be another potential person to build a new division around alongside Waterson, if she could get down to 105 comfortably, but does the UFC want a division made of 99% Asian women? Who is going to read the scripture and complain about masks, damn it!?

If they turf 145 in favor of 105, they might as well bring my avatar sake because she knocked out Jinh Yu in ROAD FC. They can't have a division without the best fighter. 

Another name they COULD possibly built around (if they decided to do an atomweight division) for the future is LFA's newest signee Tabatha Ricci. She's at strawweight now, but she's basically five feet even. That way you can have the best girls in the division, but fall back on "Okay, we do have basically Brazilian Gina Carano" if we need a drawing card.

• Like 1

I had read briefly about House's QAnon bullshit but I just read some quotes and man...

If I’d known I’d get this much flack, I would have never worn the thing, to be honest with you. People’s belief is their personal belief. That was mine. I was just showing that I really love the message, especially in this day and time with all the crap that’s going on. Did you see the NASCAR guy’s locker room? You notice how everybody got together for that one person? Everybody got together for him, and I thought, that’s what America needs. To me, that’s the message, ‘Where We Go One, We Go All’ is to me, where we all have to stand up for everybody. We’re Americans. This country is built for everybody.

Motherfuck. Nothing says bringing everybody together like QAnon. ?

1 minute ago, Oyaji said:

I had read briefly about House's QAnon bullshit but I just read some quotes and man...

Motherfuck. Nothing says bringing everybody together like QAnon. ?

Don House did train Tito Ortiz at one time. I think he got this from Tito. I'm going to reckless say he got this from Tito.

• Like 2

I think ESPN might want to rethink their advertising strategy for UFC 251. Over the last three days I’ve seen at least 10-15 commercials for the show, but none of them have made a single reference to any of the 3 title fights. 

If you watch the commercials without knowing the card at all you’d think the Main Event is Rose/Andrade 2. Which definitely isn’t a selling point on its own let alone worthy of that kind of hype. If they’re going to advertise a rematch at least plug Max/Volkanovski as that’s one of the main events, and a title fight.

Edited by MavsFan77

1 hour ago, MavsFan77 said:

I think ESPN might want to rethink their advertising strategy for UFC 251. Over the last three days I’ve seen at least 10-15 commercials for the show, but none of them have made a single reference to any of the 3 title fights. 

I believe a lot of that has to do with COVID-19 testing and them getting the results back today before everyone flies over to Abu Dhabi. For example, the Ige vs. Kattar card lost Anderson dos Santos (positive test), Vinicius Moreira (positive test), Esparza vs. Marina Rodriguez (Rodriguez's cornerman tested positive which in turn got her pulled even though she tested negative). That's just the contingent flying out of Brazil. You can pretty much guarantee some other positives are going to pop up.

And with the UFC, it seems like over the last 3-4 years at least, the only stuff that matters for the success of a PPV happens on fight week anyway.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

a solid fight, but Covington was busted up bad and lost by TKO. he'd be low on my list for an immediate rematch. 

as for who i'd like to see instead (haven't looked into how likely any of these are):
Jorge Masvidal
Leon Edwards
Geoff Neal

With Usman not getting on his flight it definitely sounds like they’re going to just book the fight for a later date. Which makes more sense than throwing Colby a bone. 

Plus I know Covington was making it sound like he’d take the fight on short notice, but I think there’s two key factors he’s leaving out. 1) I strongly doubt he’d make weight on less than a weeks notice, and 2) He’d certainly refuse to do it without a large bump in pay (just like Jorge) so there’s less than a 1% chance Dana even calls him. If they can book a fight for one of the later dates on fight island I could see Leon Edwards getting the shot as he’d have time to cut the weight, and safely travel there.

• Like 1