DVDVR Message Board

What were the greatest Death matches?

On 2/7/2020 at 12:53 AM, J.T. said:

Megumi Kudo vs. Shark Tsuchiya (Barbed Wire Match) 12/22/95

I remember getting a Megumi Kudo FMW tape from FYE that had this match on there.  Some of the stuff wasn't as gory so I figured I'd my girlfriend at the time (now wife) watch it.  She was liking it but when this came on she got queasy and was absolutely done with her and the tape.  And while I did like the match it was/is a bit unsettling.  And AXB's AEW comparison to this is on point.

On 2/7/2020 at 8:09 AM, The Natural said:

One of the most disturbing wrestling matches I've ever seen was Terry Funk vs. Sabu's no rope barbed wire match at ECW Born to be Wired 1997. Surprised I'm the firs to bring it up. Sabu tore his bicep open, taped it up mid-match and the ending with both wrestlers too tangled to get out of the barbed wire. I remember seeing a video on YouTube showing the post match and how long it took to free Sabu and Funk from entanglement.

If I remember this right this was on one of the ECW tapes I had and I think it had Joey being really uncomfortable on commentary.  I remember he kept going "Oh, my god" in a quiet tone and it seemed like a genuine reaction.  The crowd was also quiet but I took that as even them being weirded out by the whole thing.  I may need to re-watch this to see if my memory went to shit or if that's accurate.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 1/25/2020 at 2:03 AM, bazzil said:

Megumi Kudo vs Combat Toyota  5/5/96

For women, this has got to be the best or at least I'd say it's my favorite. Great, dramatic match.

On 1/25/2020 at 3:53 AM, Eivion said:

Yuko Miyamoto vs. Takashi Sasaki 3/14/07

This is easily one of the best more modern Japanese death matches. Endless drama and Yuko's breakout match. It may not appeal to everyone though as there's some overkill near the end.

On 1/25/2020 at 9:25 AM, John E. Dynamite said:

Necro Butcher vs. Toby Klein, Fans Bring the Weapons Deathmatch from the first round of the... 2004 IWA-MS King of the Deathmatch, I believe.

Probably the best death match in the US. Two dudes who dislike each other just putting a beating on each other. Some wild strikes, wild bumps such as the powerbomb off the bleachers to the hardwood floor and the flying monitor to the face. Just absolute craziness from both.

Another unsung classic is the barbed wire board and ladder death match between Honma and Kobayashi from Big Japan in 2000. Here's some highlights of it:

Here's another great women's death match:

I haven't watched it in quite a while, but I remember loving it back then.

This one is also a known classic that hasn't been mentioned in the thread:

And here's an under the radar classic that I'm sure most of you have not seen before:

Pogo and Super Invader vs. Tokuda and Kanemura which I'm sure I've posted previously around here.

• 2 weeks later...

Y'all really need to get hip to the Puerto Rican death match queen Roxxy Tirado. She's over af in these two matches.

MATCH #1 (vs. Lady Shani's crazy fucking cousin and Mexican death match queen Ludark Shaitan)

Best women's death match since the FMW days/JWP Kansai/Ozaki days IMO. I haven't seen a Puerto Rican and Mexican brutalize each other this badly since the days of Trinidad vs. Vargas and Cotto vs. Margarito.

WARNING: Something happens to Ludark's finger, and we get some spurting action into the crowd (a little unclear in the handheld version but much clearer in the HL version)

MATCH #2 (Puro Macho y Payatronic vs La Hermandad)

Somebody (hopefully AEW) really needs to sign her. She is really fucking good and probably better than half the females currently in AEW. She could be the Puerto Rican Megumi Kudo (w/ some New Jack influence thrown in there as you can see in both matches). 

If they put her with Proud and Powerful, that would be tremendous. She's already part of a stable in Puerto Rico called Untraditionals (and before that La Hermandad/The Brotherhood) as their de facto leader. I think she's also working a show during Mania week in Tampa on 4/1 fwiw.

Edited by Elsalvajeloco
  • Like 1

Speaking of great US death matches, I'd forgotten all about this one. Laid out really well with minimal fuckery, and these dudes weren't afraid to kill each other for your pleasure.