DVDVR Message Board

What were the greatest Death matches?

One of my favorite threads ever was at the old Crazymax I think, but it might have been at the old green board. It wasn’t just a list of the bloodiest Death matches or the most explosions or whatever. It was about which ones were truly great matches across the board. Psychology, build towards the explosion, etc. Somebody should restart that listmania. I’m not qualified to do so as I’ve seen very few of these and only 1 that real wrestling fans like. I’d like to atleast have a reference thread again for when I get around to watching them. Or maybe somebody has a link or a file somewhere of the old thread?

Funk/Jack is the good one I referred to. It’s slipped into the cool to call overrated list by certain nerds but I don’t think that at all. Nakamaki/Jack was also a good match from that same card imo, overshadowed by the main event. I wonder if Nakamaki/Ohno was any good. For some reason I don’t remember it but it’s been years since I sat down and watched the show. I distinctly remember the second match mentioned because those were the sickest nail board bumps I’d ever seen.

Edited by BloodyChamp
  • Like 1

On 1/25/2020 at 3:53 AM, Eivion said:

Yuko Miyamoto vs. Takashi Sasaki 3/14/07

Beat me to it. Best death match ever for my money, maybe the best in company history.

Spoiler

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

The better Terry Funk vs. Cactus Jack match, from IWA Japan Duel of the Wilds '95 . No Roped Barbed Wire Fire Deatchmatch, one of the most psychologically sound gorefests you'll ever see, flanked by some absolutely brilliant promo work from both men.

Necro Butcher vs. Toby Klein, Fans Bring the Weapons Deathmatch from the first round of the... 2004 IWA-MS King of the Deathmatch, I believe.

I will always like the FMW No Rope Exploding Barbed Wire Double Hell Electrified Swimming Pool match. The gimmicks are absurd but nothing leaves a bigger impression than what Mr. Pogo does with that scythe, except maybe the absurd charisma of Onita.

Edited by John E. Dynamite
  • Like 1

Loving this...most of these sound familiar. I can’t believe I forgot to atleast ask about the Duel of the Wilds match. That’s obviously not the first time I’ve heard it proclaimed as better than the Kawasaki Dream match. 

The Swimming Pool match and the other FMW match ring a bell and I’ve heard the ROH/CZW match mentioned in all kinds of posts, YouTube etc.

9 hours ago, Eivion said:

Yuko Miyamoto vs. Takashi Sasaki 3/14/07

I was gonna name that but I thought I'd let others pipe in first. Good choice. 

Headhunter A vs. Headhunter B Glass death match comes to mind. The second Onita/Sasuke from M-Pro that you can't find anywhere. The Honma/Abdullah Kobayashi Jr. ladder match is very underrated. Honma/Yamakawa vs. Winger/WX tag finals. 

EDIT: Nobody ever talks about Matsunaga/Onita electrified barbed wire but fuck is that one good. So dramatic. 

Edited by Curt McGirt
  • Like 1

I do not understand the Big Japan deathmatch psychology. Most matches have incredible amounts of violence but they rarely end with something spectacular. Instead is a flash pin following something insane or a much much lesser move. I remember adoring that Sasaki/Miyamoto match first time I watched it when I was getting back into wrestling in 2011. Great stuff and then the big spot off the scaffold doesn't end it and instead it ends after a couple of other moves. Why? You're going to sacrifice common sense for TUFFNESS? I know Oudou was often similarly guilty but there's kicking out of a head drop and there's kicking out of a ~15 foot bump. I like the Honma/Yamakawa series because they moved the style away from plodding scythe work and that stuff which I don't appreciate to wrestling with props and psychology. Plus they are both loveable. 

I’ve seen Headhunter A vs Headhunter B. Great match. 

There was another 1 that dances with straight garbage wrestling but it’s what I’d call a good death match, that’s stayed stuck in my head. I want to say it had several guys in it who went on to become serious wrestlers like Rey and Psichosis. Konnan was the promoter maybe I read? It was a cage match and I think it was a Fan Cam that I saw on VHS back in the day. Somebody told me if I liked that I’d love the ladder match from around that time with Ultraman and some others.

I believe that’s it. I didn’t want to watch it on mere YouTube so’s not to spoil the rewatch but I watched some, and what I saw didn’t look like anything you’d associate with “greatest” lol! It’s staying on the list of things to rewatch in serious mode though, with hope that it will be as good as I remembered.

16 hours ago, John E. Dynamite said:

Necro Butcher vs. Toby Klein, Fans Bring the Weapons Deathmatch from the first round of the... 2004 IWA-MS King of the Deathmatch, I believe.

Is this the one where one of them chucks a vcr at the other? If so, I agree 100%. Wild wild brawl. 

Kody Kruger vs Bill the Butcher from IWA Deep South's Carnage Cup VIII was a surprisingly good brawl. 

Janela vs Starr, No Rope Barbed Wire, Americanrana 2018. They also had a 60 minute Iron Man match at Americanrana '19, which had tons of weapons spots but was more of a Wrestling match than a Death match. I haven't yet seen the Fans Bring the Weapons match from Heavy lies the Crown '17.

18 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

Yeah, it went two spots too many. I can forgive it that though.

More like one spot too many.

Spoiler

Miyamoto was essentially done after Sasaki hit the D-Geist off the scaffold. No more offense from him... all he could do was kick out of pins. The extra spot was superfluous but that's a fairly minor quibble since again, Miyamoto was finished... this wasn't him no-selling and going on the attack, it was him literally surviving the gargantuan move and dying on his shield.

• Thanks 1