DVDVR Message Board

NXT on USA - 1/22/2020

Dolfan in NYC

Here's what's on tap for tonight:

FOR THE NXT NORTH AMERICAN CHAMPIONSHIP - Roderick Strong (c) vs. Keith Lee

Dusty Rhodes Tag Team Tournament Second Round:

• Grizzled Young Veterans vs. Undisputed Era (Fish/O'Reilly)
  • The BROserweights (Riddle/Dunne) vs. Imperium (Barthel/Aichner)

Probably a bunch of other stuff setting up Worlds Collide.  

• Like 1

I'm assuming Imperium and UE screw each other over so we can get Grizzled Young Vets vs. Broserweights for the final at Worlds Collide. Both matches from tonight should be good regardless. Hopefully GYV take the lead as heels for their match against UE.

Io vs. Toni happening on a random NXT episode feels wrong, but it should be good at the very least.

The Dusty Classic tags were as good as expected. Dug the post stuff with Gibson, Dunne, and Riddle.

Toni/Io was nice while it lasted.

Dug Shotzi/Shayna a good deal. Not sure who the heel to dethrone Rhea will be, but Shotzi should totally be the face to eventually dethrone said heel when the time comes.

Lee/Strong was good. Dug the brawl between Imperium and UE. That chop on Cole was beautiful.

• Like 1

Bought Dusty Classic Tag Team Semi-Finals were really good. Looking forward to the finals next week between BROserweights and Grizzled Young Veterans. Liked the promo between the two with Riddle's mind drifting after manipulating a joint was mentioned. Funny that. Also liked the main event between Strong and Lee. WALTER's chop on Adam Cole, holy shit for the sound and Cole's flip sell. Worlds Collide this weekend!

Edited by The Natural

13 hours ago, The Natural said:

Brutal chop we've come to expect from WALTER.

Kept going back to this today. Ric Flair, Kenta Kobashi and WALTER are the Trinity of Chop Deliveries, Inc.

Edited by The Natural

Random thoughts from watching:

Toni Storm got Clotheslined so hard, her false eyelash fell off.

DJZ has something stupid on his head. But he resembles Chrissie Hynde much less now he's got shorter hair. Joaquim Wilde is a bit of a departure as a name though. Shiima Xion to Zema Ion to DJZ, there's a continuity there. Nice aggression from Finn Balor, but if you have a move called the Coup de Grace, that should be the last thing you do, right?

They use crowd noise on this show, right? Because the amount of volume the people are making doesn't always correlate with the people in the crowd who are just sitting there with their mouths closed watching.

Now, I like Mauro Ranallo. I thought he was great as a Pride announcer. But his overenthusiasm, coupled with the overproduced no pronouns push buzzwords Don't Speak Like a Normal Person Would Naturally WWE style, it's a real Watch on Mute situation.

This referee has a very unusual skin tone. He's, like, so orange he's red. I thought maybe he's mixed or South Asian, but the back of his head where his hair is buzzed short is pale like a white guy. His hands are paler than his arms, that almost never happens when you're dark from sun exposure. A guy I knew once got a bad sunburn when he has a big bushy beard, then shaved it off right after, so his cheeks and chin were ghost pale while his forehead was crimson. Eric Young should steal that. Hey! Isn't Eric Young supposed to be in this company? Where is he? He's way more entertaining than this Adam Cole nonsense.

Strong vs Lee, that were alright.

But colour coding your crews, if the Undisputed Area (cheers Nige!) are Black with yellow, why are the Bro-serweights also Black with Yellow? And then there's a show closing brawl between the guys in black and yellow, and the guys in black and white. Which is broken up by a bunch of guys in black shirts. Put some thought into this stuff, lads. Just because Red and Blue are off the table, that still leaves green, orange, purple, metallic colours, sky blue, claret, cream, brown, pink...

• Like 1

8 hours ago, AxB said:

This referee has a very unusual skin tone. He's, like, so orange he's red. I thought maybe he's mixed or South Asian, but the back of his head where his hair is buzzed short is pale like a white guy. His hands are paler than his arms, that almost never happens when you're dark from sun exposure.

I've seen more than a handful of people with darker skin have similar unusual skin condition where their hands and other parts of their body are much paler than the rest of their body. It's almost albino in those parts.

10 hours ago, AxB said:

Nice aggression from Finn Balor, but if you have a move called the Coup de Grace, that should be the last thing you do, right?

They use crowd noise on this show, right? Because the amount of volume the people are making doesn't always correlate with the people in the crowd who are just sitting there with their mouths closed watching.

Now, I like Mauro Ranallo. I thought he was great as a Pride announcer. But his overenthusiasm, coupled with the overproduced no pronouns push buzzwords Don't Speak Like a Normal Person Would Naturally WWE style, it's a real Watch on Mute situation.

You're right about the Coup de Grace, but I think it's a rare good call from the PTB that he not use the double stomp to end matches because it's a very babyface finisher. I'd rather it be phased out entirely, at least until he turns again.

If you believe Prichard (I know), they sweeten the sound on every show and have done so for a very long time.

I haven't watched an NXT program all the way through from start to finish in months now and that is mostly because of Mauro.

I don't normally give WWE writing any credit (and WWE comedic writing even less so), but Zack Gibson's line about the Dunne/Riddle team being called "Joint Manipulation" was absolutely perfect. I can't remember the last time someone delivered such a great, subtle double-take line like that. Even the "hey, did ya get it" follow up from Riddle was executed well and his goofy yet genuine enthusiasm for the "Riddle's gonna smoke you" chant was awesome. Matt's been on fire lately because his promo about how they formed their team was perfect too. Just enough to lampoon the "we have nothing for these guys so we're throwing them together as a team" concept while staying fully in character.

• Like 1