DVDVR Message Board

AEW Dynamite - 1/22/2020 - Aboard the Norwegian Pearl

Dolfan in NYC

This is now an Ortiz fan account! I need a gif of him running away on his toes after running at marko and luchasauras in the corner. Every single time he does his cat claws pose I can't help but laugh. His fallen asleep pin off the dining headbutt is another beauty. Even the constant, "the best!" has grown on me. Really really like this team and their theme is a low key banger! 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Fighting a man with a perm said:

This is now an Ortiz fan account! I need a gif of him running away on his toes after running at marko and luchasauras in the corner. Every single time he does his cat claws pose I can't help but laugh. His fallen asleep pin off the dining headbutt is another beauty. Even the constant, "the best!" has grown on me. Really really like this team and their theme is a low key banger! 

He's goofy but I'm with you on really liking the guy.  Also appreciate Excalibur saying "Tiger style!" when he does the claws.

• Like 2

Neat set and fun idea to do tv on the cruise.  Some solid action especially considering how  unstable it must be to work on the water.  Hangman has really put it together in this last while.  As mentioned, the post match surf was excellent. The backstage interview and interaction with the Bucks was good, but what is Tony doing cutting off Page?  Page, considering his recent arrogance, should have slapped the taste out of that ‘four eyed’ barista’s mouth.

Glad to read @Oyaji mention the blunderous shill by Excalibur concerning the women’s division.  I like Ex but he kills his credibility too often with inane and needless oversells. 

I skipped the women’s match.  I also found myself drifting off during Janela-Mjeff.  The finish of that match was just horrible.  Janella would be well served as a wrestler-manager.  Of the heel ilk preferably.  

Luchasaurus looked a lot better this week.  Good to see.  Hated the Hager interference. Audrey was far too in position to pretend not to see it.  I thought Marko looked really good here too. The match was marred slightly for me by Jericho being too over as a babyface to heat things up for Jungle Jack and his merry mates.  And would somebody get in Ortiz’s ear about blatantly moving into position for dives, etc. I really dig his ‘tiger style’ too, but he’s gotta stop doing blatantly fake horseshit.

I too find it a bit disappointing seeing PAC fall to a one eyed Mox.  I get it and it makes sense, but I hope they have a plan to get the b-—tard back on a solid path. He’s been so consistently excellent.  

6 hours ago, Casey said:

I'd much rather keep Joey Janela in AEW than some New Japan dude who just stiffs everyone and is really strong or whatever.

I guess you don’t love Ishii like I love Ishii.  And ‘fake news’.  

I don't get the problem with Pac losing to Mox or pointing out that Mox had one good eye. That's like the point, that Mox had to overcome impaired vision against a top tier opponent to move on to Jericho.

Also, you can say "bastard." It's not a banned word or anything...

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Craig H said:

I don't get the problem with Pac losing to Mox or pointing out that Mox had one good eye. That's like the point, that Mox had to overcome impaired vision against a top tier opponent to move on to Jericho.

Always go by Carlin's seven words you can't say on TV.

Finally finished it, and it was a pretty fun and funny show. Jericho calling an "Eyebreaker" might've been the funniest part of a show that had wind blowing spots and entrances for wrestlers, crowds blowing audio for networks, and drunk people singing along to theme songs like Minoru Suzuki just walked in. 

6 hours ago, Craig H said:

I was amused by the censored spelling.  I’m also amused by its pronunciation as B tard.  I hope that isn’t offensive.

I don’t have a problem with Mox overcoming the odds.  Just a bit disappointed that it continues to put the brakes on PAC’s asskicking ascent.  Not complaining tho.  Willing and happy to wait and see.  I think it’s a pretty fair statement.  Let’s celebrate our very slight differences of view, yeah?

Edited by HarryArchieGus

56 minutes ago, HarryArchieGus said:

Not complaining tho.  Willing and happy to wait and see.  I think it’s a pretty fair statement.  Let’s celebrate our very slight differences of view, yeah?

I like this. In last week's thread, it was all about the "weak criticism" permeating AEW threads. This week, we're celebrating our differences. That's a lot personal growth in a few days time, and I commend you for it. Something for all of us to model ourselves on and strive towards. ?

Re: PAC's "ass-kicking ascent," it's not as though he's so clearly setting the AEW world on fire that he requires tippy-top guy booking or protection right now. The eye-patch thing is a non-story to me, as it helps the narrative they have going with Moxley and PAC didn't look like a pushover. I'm fine with him taking falls like this, especially since (IIRC) he's only done so thus far against actual tippy-top guys (Moxley, Omega), or guys being positioned to become such (Hangman). I expect he's not thrilled with the possibility that he might be settling into an uppercard gatekeeper position, but it probably beats getting clowned by Enzo...

Edited by West Newbury Bad Boy

Right now he could be their IC/US title level guy but in a traditional sense where it's for top guys who are just about there but not quite. I hope he gets a storyline other than whining ass kicker. Still think Tully should ditch the dork and team up with Pac. 

• Like 1

Well they need to do something for PAC. I get that he’s sort of a backup plan if something happens to Jericho, but in the meantime he should be doing something more substantial. Evil Uno, who hasn’t wrestled on TV in weeks, has a more prominent spot compared to PAC for crying out loud. Another singles title would be a big help. It’d be a big help for younger midcard guys(Sammy, Jungle Boy...) to get more practice for big TV singles matches down the line too.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs

1 hour ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

I like this. In last week's thread, it was all about the "weak criticism" permeating AEW threads. This week, we're celebrating our differences. That's a lot personal growth in a few days time, and I commend you for it. Something for all of us to model ourselves on and strive towards. ?

‘All about’?

Okay, much appreciated badboy.  Thanks for sharing that.   

On 1/23/2020 at 4:22 AM, paintedbynumbers said:

Is Aubrey trained as a wrestler/training to be one?  The fans would go ape shit if Brit attacked her and Aubrey fought back. That is the one angle that could possibly get Baker over. But it would only work if Aubrey is trained and they can have an actual match. 

She has done a match in her local promotion (321 Battle, where she's Gearl Hebner) and her husband is a wrestler, FWIW.

Edited by Ace
  • Like 2

Everyone is sleeping on Luchasaurus doing a SHINING LIZARD. Also loved the black girl in the front row just losing her mind with joy for the tag title match... her outfit was so loud that I thought she was a plant at first.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

On 1/24/2020 at 7:48 PM, LoneWolf&Subs said:

Well they need to do something for PAC. I get that he’s sort of a backup plan if something happens to Jericho, but in the meantime he should be doing something more substantial. Evil Uno, who hasn’t wrestled on TV in weeks, has a more prominent spot compared to PAC for crying out loud. Another singles title would be a big help. It’d be a big help for younger midcard guys(Sammy, Jungle Boy...) to get more practice for big TV singles matches down the line too.

I suspect PAC being a part-timer and having Dragon Gate as his main promotion limits him.  Same reason Lucha Bros aren't featured more (but I'm glad of that, AEW Lucha Bros don't do much for me)

Dudes practically full-time AEW right now. Him, Moxley, Omega, Bucks, Cody, Hangman, and Jericho are essentially the main cast of characters featured on TV regularly. His set role currently is just as a star to sustain a rating. That’s better than his previous role, but I would rank him dead last of importants when it comes to having a storyline.

My opinion on what they should do with him in the meantime(till AEW has a face world champ), is give him a dance partner that the company sees potential in, and somebody that's the opposite of PAC’s grumpy persona. That’s why I nominate Orange Cassidy. If PAC gets matched up with him, it’ll be impossible to not garner the most heat for most nights.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs