DVDVR Message Board

AEW Dynamite - 1/22/2020 - Aboard the Norwegian Pearl

Dolfan in NYC

2 hours ago, Goodear said:

I'm all in on the Page story assuming he comes out of this as the take-no-guff face.  This is the first great AEW storyline which could define the company. In no way should the Bucks come out of this as the babyfaces and Kenny can go either way honestly (although his story seems to be slightly leaning heel). I thought the ion ring booking here was really strong with Page basically winning the tag titles on his own as Kenny sold in the corner. It came off as a real walking tall moment for him to hit the lariats to get the win.

If you were Hangman Page wouldn't you also be tired of the Young Bucks shit?  The story line is that all of the Elite are struggling since the start of AEW and it cuts deeper with Hangman Page because he was known as the 'weakest link' of the group to begin with.  So he's fed up and he's trying to take this shit seriously,  he goes out there and I don't want to say he beat SCU by himself but the finish was all him..  and here come these underachieving dorks trying to take some shine when he's the only one taking this seriously..  he's like dude,  get the fuck away from me and let me shine on MY OWN.. 

• Like 5

18 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

If you were Hangman Page wouldn't you also be tired of the Young Bucks shit?  The story line is that all of the Elite are struggling since the start of AEW and it cuts deeper with Hangman Page because he was known as the 'weakest link' of the group to begin with.  So he's fed up and he's trying to take this shit seriously,  he goes out there and I don't want to say he beat SCU by himself but the finish was all him..  and here come these underachieving dorks trying to take some shine when he's the only one taking this seriously..  he's like dude,  get the fuck away from me and let me shine on MY OWN.. 

this is partly why I think it will be the Bucks that turn heel on Page and Omega. 

1 hour ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

The Page Story really has some long term work behind it.  If you look at even the joke graphics on his entrance, they play a role in this as him being the one being 'held down' by the powers that be (who we all know are the other guys in The Elite). The whole being a drunk thing seems almost blown out of proportion as he's never been shown as being out of control or not ready for his matches unless I missed something. Like the company is calling him a drunk without him being one. Now the idea of Kenny and The Bucks being evil company executives sounds like well tread ground no one really wants, but it could be a way to write them out of those positions on television and that would be okay. One thing I just though of was that this even cuts into the Kenny-Pac angle as Kenny has been avoiding facing Pac when he could obviously get the match if he wanted despite Pac's prompting. It's clearly not face behavior to dodge matches for no real reason.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, paintedbynumbers said:

Lots of people on social media suggesting Brit may have been drunk last night. I didn't think that but nothing in wrestling would surprise me at this point. 

Nah, man.  Her wrestling really is that bad while sober so I can only imagine how worse it'd be while drunk.  Didn't notice slurred speech or anything so unless there's proof I'm not buying it.

4 hours ago, The Great ML said:

I was embarrassed to watch that promo and I was alone in the room at the time. It was pretty bad...not the type of promo you’d ever run live. If she must be forced upon us, she needs to be pre-taped for a while...

if you eliminate Britt, the Nightmare Collective and that inexplicable Mercury gimmick...you’d have addition by subtraction.

I don’t get what was embarrassing about it, she was a little awkward but it was just basic. She didn’t forget what she was saying are sound ridiculous by putting herself down instead of Tony because she was nervous as has happened with other people. 

I searched for the worst wrestling promo ever and this came up, she was no where near as bad as this guy: 

What is the Mercury gimmick?

I actually think the Nightmare Collective could have potentially worked, Brandi is charismatic and attractive (I’d join her cult way before I’d join the fat masked guy’s cult) but I think it was DOA because people immediately  compared it with the Dark Order—-which has repeatedly failed.

I think at least Brandi could definitely add value on tv at some point down the road.

3 hours ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

he goes out there and I don't want to say he beat SCU by himself but the finish was all him

I fell asleep during the show (it's been a long week already), but on Reddit they had an interview clip of Tony with Kenny & Page backstage. Bucks interrupted Page, Tony interrupted him. He was visibly getting angry about it. But the part I quoted you on is important, because Hangman said that too ("I beat SCU", "I won the tag team titles") when he did get to speak. And Kenny caught onto it, and made a confused face.

He might not have actually beat SCU all by himself, but in Hangman's mind he did.

• Like 1

That was such great storytelling tho. This kind of shades of grey/slow burn turns are among my favourite things in wrestling. Although I would disagree that he's a guy that takes himself seriously if he's always getting drunk to a comedic degree, so his story may actually have too many layers going on. Either way, I love him taking out both guys with the buckshot and getting the win then going on to say "I beat them" so on and so forth. The interview with the Bucks and Omega was relatively subtle and is planting all of the seeds. I don't know if a full on heel turn is what's best for him at this point because he's got a point and people adore him now more than they did when he was the golden boy shot out of a cannon prior to his losing in the title decider. I think just being his own man who isn't a goody two shoes would be fine. He loses the straps trying to repeat this performance going into business for himself against the Bucks, then he and Omega go at it and you move on from there. This team isn't long for the gold (not every reign has to be epic) and I think it would be best for the tag division, the Bucks, and AEW if their main guys/EVPs started winning a bit more. The Bucks should hold the titles for a long time.

I would've thought between the novelty of the boat and that it was the #1 US trend on Twitter for at least a bit there that the ratings would've been higher than last week's and they'd get close to 1 million. Nice to stay on top but overall I'd be a little disappointed with that number.

But gahddayum tho, not only was Britt's promo so bad that they cut to commercial part way through, people thought she was also actually intoxicated. Legendary performance.

Edited by Oyaji

16 minutes ago, Oyaji said:

I would've thought between the novelty of the boat and that it was the #1 US trend on Twitter for at least a bit there that the ratings would've been higher than last week's and they'd get close to 1 million. Nice to stay on top but overall I'd be a little disappointed with that number.

I think you could point to a combination of AEW having spoilers out pre-show, which takes away any mystery from the show, and NXT having a well-advertised Keith Lee title match in the main event. 

Britt's promo was nowhere near as bad as the above Jumpin' Jeff Farmer promo. It was better than Kalisto's "good lucha thing" promo. She sounded a little nervous, but it did the job of firmly establishing her as a heel.

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, Oyaji said:

But gahddayum tho, not only was Britt's promo so bad that they cut to commercial part way through, people thought she was also actually intoxicated. Legendary performance.

Wrestling Twitter© REALLY isn't something to put that much stock in. Trust me. 

• Like 1

I thought her promo was perfectly fine for a delusional heel. And when I was watching it, I didn't think they sent it to commercial during her promo because it was bad - maybe I bought into kayfabe (which is fine) but I assumed it was a planned break and they used the cover of "Baker is insulting a staff member "live" on air, let's go to commercial".

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Casey said:

I thought her promo was perfectly fine for a delusional heel. And when I was watching it, I didn't think they sent it to commercial during her promo because it was bad - maybe I bought into kayfabe (which is fine) but I assumed it was a planned break and they used the cover of "Baker is insulting a staff member "live" on air, let's go to commercial".

Based on the account from Meltzer and Bryan Alvarez, everything that Britt said was shown on TV. I think the ad break was not only planned, but one of those "Oh, that wasn't suppose to happen" quasi worked shoot things to establish her as being two faced heel.

11 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Britt's promo was nowhere near as bad as the above Jumpin' Jeff Farmer promo. It was better than Kalisto's "good lucha thing" promo. She sounded a little nervous, but it did the job of firmly establishing her as a heel.

I imagine talking into the fucking wind is not the ideal thing for a promo. Also, no one will top Angela Mosca Jr. calling the Assassin "Jody". That's Albert Brooks in Broadcast News flop sweat level of nervousness. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

I've said this elsewhere, but given the crowd reaction increasing for Hangman Page these last few weeks since they slightly tweaked his character...if the path was initially to end with Page turning heel on Omega, they are fools if they follow through with that in the immediate future. If anything, they would probably be better off turning Omega if they absolutely have to. It would give an edge back to Omega and they could call back to the feelings of doubt they played up during the early goings of AEW, and I think even workrate fans could be potentially swayed to boo Omega if they really committed to it. I think his aloof promo style wouldn't need much tweaking to adapt to being an American wrestling heel.

And seriously, who would WANT to boo the guy that celebrates a title win by crowd-surfing and drinking a beer while doing it?

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

MJF reminds me of a create-a-wrestler. Great talker, fine in the ring.

How does one even begin to care about Joey Janela? Box him up and send him and Jericho's $750,000 car to New Japan for Tomohiro Ishii. Then business will pick up. And Janela looks like he was put on Earth to team with Juice Robinson. "How dare (generic blonde #3,152) cheat on (curtain jerker no one cares about) with (heel curtain jerker no one cares about)!"

• Like 1

Why not have both? Classic ladies man Tomohiro Ishii shows up as a relationship expert to help Janela woo back Penelope Ford. We get vignettes of Ishii doing a makeover on Janela by teaching him street slang and dressing him like the main character from some blaxploitation film.

Ok, I just want to hear Jim Ross say the phrase "Tough and Hard" and work in a dick pill reference in 2020. Sue me.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1