DVDVR Message Board

AEW Dynamite - 1/22/2020 - Aboard the Norwegian Pearl

Dolfan in NYC

What the hell was going on with the crowd at the beginning of the Moxley/PAC match? TNT seemed adamant to bleep all of it.

Secondly, does anyone know the story regarding AEW Jesus? Is this guy a wrestler or some such? Or is he just AEW's sign guy? He was at Double or Nothing and he seems to be a recurring fixture for Dynamite.

14 minutes ago, AxB said:

Crowd were chanting swear words. The audio was also cut on Fite, which pissed off the chat.

I realized they were swearing, but what had them so riled up? Then Moxley flipped something off outside the ring that seemed to get them excited. Then on commentary it was mentioned they were chanting your ship sucks to another ship in the port. So was it related to that?

The crowd surfing after the tag title match was a beautiful metaphor, the fans separating Adam Page from the rest of the Elite. Loved the progression in the angle and switching the belts since now at least they're part of a hot storyline.

Once again, didn't think much of MJF on the mic although he wrestles like a modern 80s heel and I can't complain about that. To be honest, his feud with Cody isn't doing that much for me and is proving that Max is a talented guy but isn't there yet. I'm not excited to see Cody whip MJF's ass, I just want him to move on to something more substantial.

Dug the main event. I didn't think PAC looked weak losing to an one eyed man but I can see that argument.

Yeah, I can't recall anyone cutting to commercial mid-promo before. Time constraints or a judgement call on Britt's ability to talk?

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, TheVileOne said:

I realized they were swearing, but what had them so riled up? Then Moxley flipped something off outside the ring that seemed to get them excited. Then on commentary it was mentioned they were chanting your ship sucks to another ship in the port. So was it related to that?

Yeah, a bigger ship came in and they were doing those chants which prompted Moxley to flip them off for giggles.  Same thing happened in a dark match beforehand.  It did unfortunately take them out of the match and according to WO even Pac was motioning to the crowd that him and Moxley were doing a match.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, NikoBaltimore said:

Yeah, a bigger ship came in and they were doing those chants which prompted Moxley to flip them off for giggles.  Same thing happened in a dark match beforehand.  It did unfortunately take them out of the match and according to WO even Pac was motioning to the crowd that him and Moxley were doing a match.

It was distracting at first, but it seems Moxley acknowledging it abated them a little.

As for the match, I think it was solid. I think it probably was about 3-4 minutes too long and did have a couple dead spots, but I chalk that up more to the sort of the unusual environment.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, BrianS81177 said:

I'm a little surprised they went ahead with the pyro considering the wind. Looked like Jungle Boy and Jericho both got hit by it a little on their way to the ring. 

I felt the same way.  Wind, pyro,and a match full of dudes with big hair is a bad combination.  

Maybe I need to re-watch the show. I was pretty pumped throughout and too much fist pumping would have made me miss a thing or two. I felt that PAC had the advantage most of the match and Mox was selling a good deal. A roll up turned to a Paradigm Shift was what sealed it. Add onto that that he felt he needed a second more elevated one for the win. 

I absolutely love the Hangman Page storyline they are developing. He’s slowly getting irritated with the Young Bucks bullshit, his inner turmoil that is leading him to drinking, and Kenny uncomfortably stuck in the middle trying to be there for his friends. It is so compelling and relatable. If they don’t jump the gun on this angle and let it build more, I think it could potentially become my favorite thing they’re doing. 

My reservation of it is then winning the tag titles. Mixed feelings. It lead to the cool crowd surf and fun tension, however I feel that having two primarily singles workers coming together to win the titles for a more than likely split/ angle-purposes kind of puts down the tag division. Especially when one of the selling points of AEW was the best tag team wrestling on TV. Granted, I’m very happy that it’ll more-than likely lead to great matches and as I mentioned before, a very compelling storyline. But still, it’s in the back of my head.

I want Britt Baker to shave her head and go full-Baron Corbin.

I felt they rushed into the Cody vs MJF feud, I wish it simmered a bit longer, but I’m happy it is happening. The pool toss was fun. 

Jericho is cool. 

I’m pro-Marko in his roll. I have defended Brandi Rhodes a few times on here, so I think it’s safe to say my opinion is trash.

Boats are neat.

I’m excited to see more Pricilla Kelly. She’s wrestled quite a bit at my local fed, but each time I haven’t been able to make it. Even with the controversies, I think a strong personality is a plus for the women’s division. 

• Like 5

19 minutes ago, OctopusCinema said:

I absolutely love the Hangman Page storyline they are developing. He’s slowly getting irritated with the Young Bucks bullshit, his inner turmoil that is leading him to drinking, and Kenny uncomfortably stuck in the middle trying to be there for his friends. It is so compelling and relatable. If they don’t jump the gun on this angle and let it build more, I think it could potentially become my favorite thing they’re doing. 

This angle has made me turn the corner on Page.  

I don't know if this is on purpose, but Page is TOTALLY the face in this angle so far.  He's made it clear he's not part of the Elite, Omega forces him to team with him anyway, Schiavone completely blows him off in the post interview, and the Bucks have to Hogan their way into everything Page does.  I'd turn on them too.

• Like 6
  • Haha 2

Can we please, PLEASE end whatever this Britt Baker experiment is? She's not good in the ring and she is the absolute dirt worst on the mic. Props to Tony for selling it and playing along, but even he couldn't get over Britt's completely zombified delivery of her lines. It's rare, but she doesn't have no charisma, she has negative charisma. Some sit her down in front of a stream of promo work Clockwork Orange style until she stops sucking so much.

She was the only low point to what I thought was a really fun and great show. The Hangman Page storyline may be my favorite one in wrestling right now. I think they're doing almost everything right, although Kenny could stop acting like such a goody goody dork. Hangman crowd surfing and drinking beer along the way was awesome. I'm sure Austin watched that and thought, "damn, why did I never think of that?" I really do hope it's the Bucks that turn on Kenny and Hangman and Hangman continues being a loner with Kenny doing what he can to gain Page's affection. Also, holy shit was that tag match good. They did a great job considering their restraints limiting dives to the outside. I really loved all of the false finishes. I thought the SCULater finish was it because Page was blocked and Page shoving Scorp into the pin the break it up was something you don't see that often, but made a ton of sense.

• Like 7

4 minutes ago, sydneybrown said:

I don't know if this is on purpose, but Page is TOTALLY the face in this angle so far.  He's made it clear he's not part of the Elite, Omega forces him to team with him anyway, Schiavone completely blows him off in the post interview, and the Bucks have to Hogan their way into everything Page does.  I'd turn on them too.

I was trying to meander my way through posting something similar but this covers it much better than I can.  If he turns heel it would be justified though I can see him stay as a tweener that is just tired of their shit.

I wonder if what will get him to take a stand is if he were to stop drinking beer for awhile instead of drowning is his sorrows.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, sydneybrown said:

I'm totally expecting a "You treat me like a dog and expect me to smile...You remind me of a JACKASS" moment from Page. It's crazy. I'm getting more Steve Austin vibes from Page at this point than Moxley.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, paintedbynumbers said:

you can't disprove a word I said. I wouldn't say if on here if it weren't true.  When it all comes out as I am sure it will. It always does in wrestling. I will await your apology. Clearly you don't think she made it into AEW based on talent. No other promotion wanted her. Not Impact, not ROH, not NXT, not Beyond.    She is there because the higher ups are friends with her boyfriend. When her and Adam Cole break up she will leave wrestling. Maybe if she was half as serious in wrestling as she is in dentistry she would have talent.  I know everyone she worked with in the Pittsburgh area. They have open gym every Wednesday. Guess how often Baker attended? 

Answer how you think she got the position she is in.  I'l wait. 

I don’t think she’s that bad, I just think she lacks the polish to be the center piece of the women’s division which they initially seemed to be going for.

And I think she’s improved since I first saw her in AEW. 

3 minutes ago, Bryan said:

I don’t think she’s that bad, I just think she lacks the polish to be the center piece of the women’s division which they initially seemed to be going for.

And I think she’s improved since I first saw her in AEW. 

her promo last night may be the worst I have heard in 30 yrs as a fan. They had to cut to commercial to cover up how bad it is.  She desperately needs time off tv.  Every other part of the show was bad. The only good thing about her promo was how great Tony was in playing it up.  Tony is gold!

Page might be 9 months or so away from becoming rehabilitated as “The Guy” they had him pegged to be at the start. Really you have to credit Page’s in-ring work for that. He’s completely busted his ass in a lot of those tag matches, and the PAC matches on TV. If not, we would look at him the same way we look at Britt’s work, no matter how interesting her arc could be.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs
  • Like 2

I'm all in on the Page story assuming he comes out of this as the take-no-guff face.  This is the first great AEW storyline which could define the company. In no way should the Bucks come out of this as the babyfaces and Kenny can go either way honestly (although his story seems to be slightly leaning heel). I thought the ion ring booking here was really strong with Page basically winning the tag titles on his own as Kenny sold in the corner. It came off as a real walking tall moment for him to hit the lariats to get the win.

• Like 5

57 minutes ago, paintedbynumbers said:

her promo last night may be the worst I have heard in 30 yrs as a fan. They had to cut to commercial to cover up how bad it is.  She desperately needs time off tv.  Every other part of the show was bad. The only good thing about her promo was how great Tony was in playing it up.  Tony is gold!

She was a little awkward but it was no where near the worst in wrestling history.

The Miz flubbing as the host of the Diva search, Reigns’ suffering succotash promo, Psycho Sid saying he has half the brain of his opponent, every time Ahmed Johnson spoke all immediately come to mind as being much worse than that.

• Like 1

There was a much, much worse promo in Lucha Underground but it was heavily edited for TV to suck less.  I wasn't personally there for it but my friends were and actively felt bad for the person doing the promo. 

Edited by Tromatagon

3 minutes ago, Tromatagon said:

There was a much, much worse promo in Lucha Underground but it was heavily edited for TV to suck less.  I wasn't personally there for it but my friends were and actively felt bad for the person doing the promo. 

Color me intrigued, but who was the one doing it?

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Bryan said:

She was a little awkward but it was no where near the worst in wrestling history.

The Miz flubbing as the host of the Diva search, Reigns’ suffering succotash promo, Psycho Sid saying he has half the brain of his opponent, every time Ahmed Johnson spoke all immediately come to mind as being much worse than that.

I was embarrassed to watch that promo and I was alone in the room at the time. It was pretty bad...not the type of promo you’d ever run live. If she must be forced upon us, she needs to be pre-taped for a while...

if you eliminate Britt, the Nightmare Collective and that inexplicable Mercury gimmick...you’d have addition by subtraction.

• Like 1

Really good show now that I've seen all of it.

I spoke about the tag match already. I think one critique I've heard was that Kenny and Page aren't a 'real team'.  I think this ignores that Kaz and Scorpio, despite being in SCU, didn't actually tag team a lot going into the tag team tournament. It's more important to the story to strap Kenny and Page for whatever they're doing with them and the Bucks. This will hopefully cycle SCU out of the title picture for a minute and retool the stable as they're pretty stale right now.

Baker match suffered from a booking problem that the finish was supposed to get over Britt being more of a cheat but no one could really get that message from pushing off the ropes. Baker doing that in a hypothetical world where she is not in a heel turn would be brushed aside as clever.  I guess I'm saying it didn't go far enough to get over what the story obviously is.

Inner Circle vs Jurassic Express highlighted that Jericho can have chemistry with such a wide variety of talents.  He shouldn't belong in a stable with a mute MMA fighter in golf shirts, a 20 something egomaniac and a pair of street toughs but he manages to pull that off. He shouldn't be able to draw interest working with rookies and giants and midgets but there you have it. I think that whenever he loses the strap, he'll be fine regardless because he has that ability.  Which really shouldn't surprise anyone at this point.

MJF is a bit too over the top when it comes to bumping for me.  I think its okay for him to do that for DDP or Cody, but for Janella it seems like overselling for the sake of it. I really don't agree with having the distraction finish as I don't think MJF should need the help to beat Joey. This coupled with the Bucks post match stuff gave us too much of a comeuppance for MJF when they should be heating Cody up to finally getting his hands on his rival. I also wonder why they had The Bucks do this rather than say Dustin or Kenny since they have the thing with Page going on and it may muddy the storyline. This feels like they had a pool and they had to throw someone in it.

I don't care about hurting Pac.  Job here is to put Moxley over.  Sometimes, your face should beat people clean even when he's dealing with a narrative crutch. Overcoming odds and making babies is what your lead face should be doing. I think if I had to book this I would have gone with the small package finish, but I'd be wrong. Sometimes heels have to lose uneven fights because they're bad people who cannot win without doing bad things.

• Like 1