DVDVR Message Board

AEW Dynamite - 1/22/2020 - Aboard the Norwegian Pearl

Dolfan in NYC

7 minutes ago, caley said:

Okay, forgive me.  What is the Tommy Young spot? And why would there be 3 pages about it.  I honestly do not know.  If it's gonna cause problems, someone PM me, please.

Heel grabs the ropes for leverage while applying an abdominal stretch, ref finally sees it, kicks the heel's hand and the heel gets hip tossed by the face. We just spent a bunch of time talking about Aubrey getting over and whether that is a positive or detriment. I like Aubrey, she's fantastic. I don't love a ref getting over was my and others' point, while the those that disagreed said that it doesn't matter, wasn't a big deal, or that it added to the angle. I hope I am not doing a disservice to anybody with that summary.

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, TheVileOne said:

JR had already outed the Tony barista thing which is still weird. Sort of hard to imagine Tony as a barista, but maybe he just like to stay busy and work a lot.

He likes the benefits that come with being a barista. 

5 minutes ago, caley said:

Was dismayed to see the WWE-heel-comes-out-and-makes-out-with-girl-in-order-to-distract-the-face spot rear its ugly head in AEW.

That has been a thing a few times and I don't like it either. They don't want DQs but they will do cheap distraction finishes. I get that Janela has been bitching about his push and he's getting some actual content here but I don't think he needs to be protected by the distraction DQ. 

Edited by Oyaji

The show looked super cool. It was a really good show. That Brit Baker promo was bad it was. But everything else was cool. Moxley wrestling with the bandage over his eye. They may be on to something with Jericho v. Moxley.

• Like 1

Sooo, yeah, there was definitely some major miscommunication in the second half of Pac/Moxley. They had to redo a bunch of spots, Turner looked like he was reading them the Bible with how much he was fucking gabbing with both guys, and there was a lot of awkward stalling. Not sure who got what out of order but it kind of took the shine off of an otherwise good match. Pac, as good as he is and as great as some of the matches he's had in AEW have been, still hasn't hit his stride. It's unfortunate for him that Jericho is the most entertaining wrestler in the States right now, because he's got all of the talent to be world champ but he's kind of stuck underneath Jericho. A secondary title would be nice but I don't even know... Maybe a real feud to sink his teeth in once the Omega stuff concludes. For now, he's just been mean bastard gatekeeper. If he can find some sort of missing piece to get the fans more invested in him, he's golden.

Moxley, on the other hand, is almost the inverse of that. He is so engaging and while he's shown a shit tonne more since leaving WWE, he still does some awkward stuff that loses me temporarily. He's good, sometimes even great in ring but the money with him is the character stuff. Pac's character work improved a tonne when he turned heel in WWE, but he's still not nearly as engaging as Moxley is. It's a nice problem to have, with lots of top end talent and only one world title to go around. I can see why Cody took himself out of the picture to free up space for others while he gets to do '80s style feuds. 

This show was tremendous but my favorite thing was everything Hangman Page.  He was great in the tag.  Then he does a victory lap body surfing all the way up the ramp while drinking a few fans beers and then in the promo segment after he's like "I'll catch you dweebs later"  tired of the Young Bucks shit.. lol

• Like 5

For the benefit of clarity: https://www.ringsidenews.com/2018/11/28/tony-schiavone-explains-worked-starbucks-following-wcw/

“I started working for Starbucks because I had some extra time. Not because I was desperate and needed money but I love Starbucks and I had extra time on my hands and I thought, ‘You know what, I’m gonna give it a shot.’ And I did it for 15 months and thoroughly enjoyed it and you know what the hell?”

“I mean look, Tony Schiavone never ever, never ever shied away from doing work. I always rolled up my sleeves and worked harder than anybody and the fact that you’d see me at Starbucks working the window or mopping the floors or whatever, what the hell? Why not? So I really enjoyed it for 15 months then I got so busy with the Georgia Bulldogs and doing baseball and then started doing the podcast and doing appearances and things like that that I just told Starbucks ‘I just don’t have time for it, I’m sorry.'”

“But the fact that you know that somebody says, ‘Oh Tony went to work at Starbucks because he’s desperate.’ No, Tony went to work for Starbucks because he always wanted to give it a try and he had some time to do it.”

Edited by ComingToAmerica
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

It's been mentioned, but, seriously, how much fun must it be to be Chris Jericho right now? A billionaire and the hottest non-WWE stars in U.S. wrestling have built a promotion around him, he's carrying around a gorgeous heavyweight title belt, running his own cruise, coming to the ring to a song by his own band, and the crowd is so into it that they keep singing along when the music is cut.

Come a long fucking way from Goldberg refusing to work a five minute squash against him.

Edited by Brian Fowler
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 4

I'm a little surprised they went ahead with the pyro considering the wind. Looked like Jungle Boy and Jericho both got hit by it a little on their way to the ring. 

Edited by BrianS81177

17 minutes ago, Brian Fowler said:

It's been mentioned, but, seriously, how much fun must it be to be Chris Jericho right now? A billionaire and the hottest non-WWE stars in U.S. wrestling have built a promotion around him, he's carrying around a gorgeous geavyweight title belt, running his own cruise, coming to the ring to a song by his own band, and the crowd is so into it that they keep singing along when the music is cut.

Come a long fucking way from Goldberg refusing to work a five minute squash against him.

And to think his disillusionment with WWE started when they wouldn't let NXT talent appear on the first cruise, which is why Ring Of Honor ended up being the promotion he partnered with. And apparently Vince hates cruises anyway.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BrianS81177 said:

I'm a little surprised they went ahead with the pyro considering the wind. Looked like Jungle Boy and Jericho both got hit by it a little on their way to the ring. 

Yeah, Jungle Boy was rubbing his stomach quite a bit after he got in the ring. And not in a 'draw attention to how great my abs look' way.

7 hours ago, Oyaji said:

That was so bad. The material was actually great but holy shit the delivery. So painful. She's terrible at everything.

I've been saying this for month and people gave me shit about it. People said I was jealous or creepy, no, she worked for my home promotion and I was subjected to her Cena like push for 2 years when she was horrible in the ring, horrible on the mic, and got where she was because of her connections.   But take all of that a way and the bigger question is what do they do next? The match was done mostly picture in picture due to a commercial. Then the promo was so god awful they had to go to another commercial. I thought it was funny when Excalibur alluded to the multiple chances she has had at the title.  Hopefully she is a better dentist than wrestler. 

Obviously Tony isn't going to wrestle.  Does she do guest commentary next week and make fun of JR?  Maybe she insults him and another female comes to JR's rescue?  If you wanted to build someone as a face and then have them turn heel  Priscilla Kelly would have been a far better choice than Brit Baker. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, paintedbynumbers said:

I've been saying this for month and people gave me shit about it. People said I was jealous or creepy

No one said you were jealous. Everyone said you were creepy. Because you were being creepy, and still are. You weren't just saying she isn't a good wrestler - you were personally attacking her and spreading rumors that she slept her way to the position she's in. You very clearly have a weird personal vendetta against her. It's really scummy, and it just gets scummier every time you bring it up again. Again - please, please stop.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

you can't disprove a word I said. I wouldn't say if on here if it weren't true.  When it all comes out as I am sure it will. It always does in wrestling. I will await your apology. Clearly you don't think she made it into AEW based on talent. No other promotion wanted her. Not Impact, not ROH, not NXT, not Beyond.    She is there because the higher ups are friends with her boyfriend. When her and Adam Cole break up she will leave wrestling. Maybe if she was half as serious in wrestling as she is in dentistry she would have talent.  I know everyone she worked with in the Pittsburgh area. They have open gym every Wednesday. Guess how often Baker attended? 

Answer how you think she got the position she is in.  I'l wait. 

9 hours ago, Bryan said:

I thought this was a good show, especially for being taped.

Hangman Page is really growing on me and he seems to be really catching on with the crowds to, so I’m interested to see how the turn they seem to be building towards works. And I actually really like the Omega Page tag team, so I hope it doesn’t happen to soon.

I think the right move would be to turn Page into a Naito type guy who was shunned by the online fans after his big push, so he adopts a twisted persona that upsets heels, and faces the same. 

• Like 5

9 hours ago, Bryan said:

Hangman Page is really growing on me and he seems to be really catching on with the crowds to, so I’m interested to see how the turn they seem to be building towards works. And I actually really like the Omega Page tag team, so I hope it doesn’t happen to soon.

My gut is that there will be a swerve and Omega turns heel on the Bucks with Page.

I wouldn't mind seeing the swerve be that the Bucks can't win the big one and they get so fed up that they turn.  They beat on Kenny and everyone assumes Page will join in but he saves Kenny.  I think the Bucks can play the annoying heel role quite well and face it nobody is going to boo beer drinking Adam Page or Kenny Omega no matter how hard they try to turn them. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Casey said:

And to think his disillusionment with WWE started when they wouldn't let NXT talent appear on the first cruise, which is why Ring Of Honor ended up being the promotion he partnered with. And apparently Vince hates cruises anyway.

How? There is a pool, and an entire body of water to push someone unexpectedly into. I thought he’d relish something like that.

• Like 1