DVDVR Message Board

AEW Dynamite - 1/22/2020 - Aboard the Norwegian Pearl

Dolfan in NYC

Here are the spoilers for tonight's show, taped last night.:

Spoiler

* Hangman Page and Kenny Omega defeated SCU to capture the AEW World Tag Team Titles. This is the first title change in AEW history

* Britt Baker defeated Priscilla Kelly by submission. Baker went off on Tony Schiavone after the match

* AEW World Champion Chris Jericho, Santana and Ortiz defeated Marko Stunt, Jungle Boy and Luchasaurus

* MJF defeated Joey Janela

* The Young Bucks and Cody Rhodes came to the ring for a promo but MJF interrupted, taunting Cody because he can't touch him. The Young Bucks laid MJF out

* Jon Moxley defeated PAC to become the new #1 contender to the AEW World Title. Jericho came out after the match and stared Moxley down to end the taping

I thought this was a good show, especially for being taped.

Hangman Page is really growing on me and he seems to be really catching on with the crowds to, so I’m interested to see how the turn they seem to be building towards works. And I actually really like the Omega Page tag team, so I hope it doesn’t happen to soon.

• Like 2

The fans singing along to "Judas" during Jericho's entrance was awesome, loved that. Great atmosphere/setting for the show

Surprised to see Omega & Hangman win the titles but I like them as a team even if they continue to show dissension. Great to see Priscilla Kelly involved. Six man tag was fun. MJF getting thrown in the pool was the best. Really good main event. One of those matches where the outcome was always obvious but they still managed some great near falls.

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, DreamBroken said:

The fans singing along to "Judas" during Jericho's entrance was awesome, loved that. 

Likewise:

Chris Jericho. The youngest AEW World Champion ever. Le Champion.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

@DreamBroken pretty much summed up my feelings on this, so there's really not much I can add. This was a really fun show, and I wish I had the money to go on the Jericho cruise. I'll be damned if I don't go on next year's cruise.

It's certainly not on the same level as a wrestling cruise, but I did score floor seats for AEW's Tri-State area debut @ the Prudential Center in Newark.

• Like 7

1 minute ago, Wyld Samurai said:

Did AEW mercy kill Britt Baker's dying promo by cutting to commercial?

That was so bad. The material was actually great but holy shit the delivery. So painful. She's terrible at everything.

• Like 3

I don't usually pay attention during PIP commercial breaks so I may have missed it during the MJeff match, but the WOR report mentioned that Aubrey did the Tommy Young spot with MJF and it got over huge. I am so glad they cut it (unless I did miss it) to save us another 3 pages of that shit. They also cut MJF stooging it up a bunch and continually going back in the pool.

Very fun show but the audio did sound a bit quiet because of the openness. Tag title match was very good. Gonna go back and watch Pac/Mox again as I had to peace out with about 8 minutes to go. Good on Moxley for trying to refocus the idiots chanting about another ship.

Not to pile on too much but my God it was cringe-inducing when Excalibur brought up Stardom then transitioned to Britt Baker chain wrestling at a snail's pace by stating AEW also features some of the best women's wrestling on the planet. Naw dawg. Naw.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Oyaji said:

I don't usually pay attention during PIP commercial breaks so I may have missed it during the MJeff match, but the WOR report mentioned that Aubrey did the Tommy Young spot with MJF and it got over huge. I am so glad they cut it (unless I did miss it) to save us another 3 pages of that shit. 

Thanks. I’ll mark it in my book for future use. To be continued.

• Haha 1

Opening tag started great. Like a good All Japan tag great. And then Kenny tagged in, started with his bullshit and the commercial break hit. They came back from break and the match felt like it started back where it should have been. Like after the Kenny tag everything went in fast forward, or there was just a huge clip in the match. That's the best way I can explain it. Anyway, my personal mark-out is for the fan who had the EDDIE GUERRERO IS MY FAVORITE WRESTLER shirt, fuck I haven't seen that in forever. 

I'll get around to the rest of the show tomorrow, I just got ahold of the Hail Satan? documentary and forget watching DVR'd AEW over watching that again. 

520771.png?1

Edited by Curt McGirt

20 minutes ago, Oyaji said:

I don't usually pay attention during PIP commercial breaks so I may have missed it during the MJeff match, but the WOR report mentioned that Aubrey did the Tommy Young spot with MJF and it got over huge. I am so glad they cut it (unless I did miss it) to save us another 3 pages of that shit. They also cut MJF stooging it up a bunch and continually going back in the pool.

Very fun show but the audio did sound a bit quiet because of the openness. Tag title match was very good. Gonna go back and watch Pac/Mox again as I had to peace out with about 8 minutes to go. Good on Moxley for trying to refocus the idiots chanting about another ship.

Okay, forgive me.  What is the Tommy Young spot? And why would there be 3 pages about it.  I honestly do not know.  If it's gonna cause problems, someone PM me, please.

I liked the main event, but it kind of hurts Pac a bit in that he couldn't beat Moxley with one eye.  I actually thought it would have been funny to hear the crowd reaction if Pac beat Mox clean, but they probably should have had someone from the Inner Circle cheat to help Moxley win (Even have Hager walk in and low-blow him for the DQ win) and could have said that Jericho masterminded the plan to give Mox the win because Moxley is clearly weakened without the eye: would make it seem much less inevitable that Mox is winning with the eye casting doubt on it; also makes PAC look dangerous in that Jericho would rather not face him, gives PAC further ammo for his being wrong by AEW, and sets him up as a nice first challenger for Mox.

Was dismayed to see the WWE-heel-comes-out-and-makes-out-with-girl-in-order-to-distract-the-face spot rear its ugly head in AEW.

I thought the first match was okay, but the ending a little rocky.  Glad the belts are off SCU.

Loved the Inner Circle-Jurassic Express match.  Everything about it was good.  Sets up lots down the line.  Even really liked Marko getting a couple nearfalls on Jericho before he destroyed him.  I know Jack Perry is the break-out star of JE, but if he tightens things up, maybe drops some of the slow kicks, I think Luchasaurus could be really big.  His headbutt spot was awesome.

• Like 3