DVDVR Message Board

Raw on MLK - 1/20/2020

Dolfan in NYC

A big thank you to Rowan's shirt for finally getting me to listen to Vio-lence

I'd always thought they were probably your typical midpaced Bay Area garbage but this is surprisingly proper thrash, just a notch below Sadus and Dark Angel on the speed scale (and sharing some Sadus similarities in the basswork too). 

I enjoyed what I saw of the show but I was mostly watching the Celtics game.  Couple things,   I liked Andrade and Rey but damn there was about 3 times where I thought both guys were hurt bad.  

Also,  AOP are a tag team.  Rollins and Murphy were singles wrestlers.  They put the tag belts on the singles and not the actual team.  Good for Murphy but odd. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

Putting the belts on Murphy and Rollins should elevate Murphy immediately in the minds of the fans. It was a good choice. There’ll be time for AOP later. 

I also thought it seemed like a waste putting the belts on two singles guy instead of an established team, but this is a valid point. Murphy is going to get a huge pop when he finally gets tired of being Rollins' lackey and turns on him.

I like the idea of Mojo not takign any shit or running away as 24/7 champ.

Ricochet's segment with Brock was ok. Ricochet is someone I just have trouble buying into whenever he is on the mic.

Orton/Drew was enjoyable enough.

Rey/Andrade was good though I will never not cringe at some of the spots guys and gals do in these ladder matches. 

Becky/Kairi was solid little match. Dug Asuka wrecking Becky right after. 

Rollins/Murphy vs. Raiders was pretty good though I'm kind of annoyed it wasn't AOP taking the titles off of the Raiders.

Putting that ladder match on Raw was a total waste. Mysterio and Andrade had another rematch two weeks ago that Andrade basically won clean. Why the ladder match? And why on Raw? It felt like a throwaway. Some of those spots looked a little sloppy too. Mysterio still looks great for his age and all considering all the punishment he's put his body through over the years. But the timing was definitely off for some of those big high spots. Booking Mysterio in a random ladder match on Raw is a mistake.

If the point was to blow off the Mysterio/Andrade feud, they should've put it on the Royal Rumble, which would really sell Andrade as a big deal.

Edited by TheVileOne

RANDOM RAW THOUGHTS

-I hope PETA goes after Erick Rowan

-A pox on whoever showed Vince McMahon his first segment of 'Weekend Update'.  Between last year's Jost/Che-Strowman feud and now Street Prophets hosting their own knock-off...No.  Just no.

-It's probably good that I don't book Raw as Zelina Vega would be ALL over the show.  She'd be managing Andrade, managing Asuka and Sane, wrestling against Lynch, managing Lashley, and probably somehow on both sides of that main event mixed tag in place of Liv and Lana.  She's seriously so good at what she does that it's a waste to have her in only one segment per show, even if it's a long one like tonight.  

-I actually think if they keep booking Randy Orton like they have been, he could find himself with another world title soon.  He's as close to Steve Austin booking as they have right now; consistently winning as a face, but without sacrificing his edge (The fake injury to lure in AJ, getting help from MacIntyre, then RKOing him anyways).  It's weird, all the ways they usually ruin a face (Smiling, telling jokes, being dumb), they have for some reason, not done with Orton.

-The RR booking has been so weird the last few years with random wrestlers going "I'm entering the Royal Rumble!" and that being all it takes to get into the RR when there are only 30 slots for THREE different shows.  Shouldn't every wrestler be declaring for the show?!  Shouldn't there be someone in charge to say "No, I'm sorry Otis, you're NOT in the Royal Rumble match."  I miss RR qualifying matches.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

Orton might just have enough swing at this point to not get booked like an idiot. It baffles me that they can get something like that right but do something as mentally deficient as ending the show with the mixed tag and starting it with the ladder match. Paul, WTF? 

Paul Heyman is no longer the creative genius everyone thought he was 

• Like 1

Is Rusev ever going to get some heat in this feud? Other than the popping out of the cake attack, it seems like he's lost every confrontation in the past 3 months(I don't know how factual that is, that's just my perception.) I guess this would be the opposite of 50/50 booking?

I highly doubt Rusev is leaving. I mean, he should, but if you believe this whole angle is his and Lana's idea, then I doubt either of them are going anywhere.

I already forgot most stuff that happened on this Raw, but the ordering of events was just bizarre. Ladder match between Rey and Andrade was obviously good with Rey taking some sick bumps for a guy his age. I like Seth and Buddy winning the tag titles because that further elevates Buddy, but I was disappointed to see Buddy get elevated and see Black not get involved at all. I figured Joe and KO would have acquired Black's services, but that didn't happen.

The rest is a blur.

Great to see Kairi again. I love unhinged, evil Asuka. Wish they would go forward with “Asuka 2 belts” but no way is she winning at Rumble.

I will say that Lana and Liv looked decent during the little time they had in the main event. Liv was showing steady improvement previously but Lana looked less awkward than usual. 

Edited by Jamal

9 hours ago, TheVileOne said:

Paul Heyman is no longer the creative genius everyone thought he was 

It’s nice to see people blaming someone besides Vince for the bad booking even if you know this show has writers and not just Paul. Forget the fact Vince has final say on everything. 

Reminds me of everyone blaming Bischoff for Smackdown then it turns out he was quickly downgraded to a consultant because they couldn’t put any of his stuff on TV. Which either means his ideas were even more illogical then the current ones or actually good. 

Though I’ll admit blaming Vince for being out of touch is like beating a dead horse at this point. 

• Like 1