DVDVR Message Board

The Big Game, v.54

Dolfan in NYC

Namath is a tough one, because his numbers do not make a Hall of Famer, but everyone who actually watched him play says he's deserving.  I'm not going to tell people I don't think Eli is a Hall of Fame quarterback, despite the numbers and then act like it's crazy when people do the same for Namath.  Eli has the numbers, but over his career he was average to good.  I think the Hall of Fame needs to be reserved for all-time GREAT players.  Namath has horrible numbers compared to other quarterbacks in the Hall of Fame, but let's look at who was playing at the time.  Standby for extreme football nerdiness...

The 1965 Pro Bowl AFL Starter was Jack Kemp.  179 of 391 for 2368 10 TDs 18 INTs.  Namath was a reserve 164-340 for 2220 18 TDs 15 INTs.  The 3rd quarterback on this Pro Bowl roster...Daryle Lamonica who was Jack Kemps back up...he started 1 game and made the fucking Pro Bowl.  

1967 Pro Bowl AFL Starter was Daryle Lamonica.  220 of 425 for 3228 30 TDs 20 INTs.  Namath was a reserve 258 of 491 for 4007 26 TDs 28 INTs.  Len Dawson 206 of 357 for 2651 24 TDs 17 INTs.  Bob Griese 166 of 331 for 2005 15 TDs 18 INTs.

1968 Pro Bowl Joe Namath was 1st Team All-Pro 187-380 3147 15 TDs 17 INTs.  Other AFL Pro Bowl quarterbacks.  John Hadl 208 of 440 for 3473 27 TDs 32 INTs.  Bob Griese 186 of 355 for 2473 21 TDs 16 INTs.  Len Dawson 132 of 224 for 2109 17 TDs 9 INTs.

1969 Pro Bowl had 7 quarterbacks for the AFL…What the fuck?  Daryle Lamonica started 221 of 426 for 3302 34 TDs 25 INTs.  Joe Namath 185 of 361 for 2734 19 TDs 17 INTs.  Jack Kemp 170 of 344 for 1981 13 TDs 22 INTs.  John Hadl 158 of 324 for 2253 10 TDs 11 INTs.  Len Dawson 98 of 166 for 1323 9 TDs 13 INTs.  Mike Taliaferro 160 of 331 for 2160 19 TDs 18 INTs.  Mike Livingston, Len Dawson’s backup, 84 of 161 for 1123 4 TDs 6 INTs. 

1972 Joe Namath started 162 of 324 for 2816 19 TDs 21 INTs.  Daryle Lamonica 149 of 281 for 1998 18 TDs 12 INTs. John Hadl 190 of 370 for 2449 15 TDs 26 INTs.  Billy Kilmer 120 of 225 for 1648 19 TDs 11 INTs. 

I’m not mad at Namath being in the Hall of Fame when his numbers are comparable to the best quarterbacks of his contemporaries.  Here’s the thing, he played in the AFL not the NFL and the quarterback play was clearly behind.  Johnny Unitas, Sonny Jurgenson, Fran Tarkenton,, and Roman Gabriel were better than him…but if you were a fan of the AFL, Namath was about as good as you got.  My question is what the hell did Daryl Lamonica and John Hadl do to piss everyone off?  Lamonica was the quarterback of a 12-1 Raiders team and he was clearly the best player.  Hadl threw 244 TDs to Namaths 173.  You can argue that both of them should be in if Namath is in, but that ship has sailed.

On 1/27/2020 at 3:48 AM, FluffSnackwell said:

15/2 was the actual ratio, which is still insane. Especially compared to Peyton's 5/8 ratio. 

Peyton, when he won his second ring, was literally the worst QB to ever win a Super Bowl.  67.9 passer rating, 43.9 QBR, 9/17 TD/INT ratio.  He was absolutely awful.  Only guy I know of who comes close is Bart Starr, who also had a 9/17 ratio.

2 hours ago, Tabe said:

Peyton, when he won his second ring, was literally the worst QB to ever win a Super Bowl.  67.9 passer rating, 43.9 QBR, 9/17 TD/INT ratio.  He was absolutely awful.  Only guy I know of who comes close is Bart Starr, who also had a 9/17 ratio.

This is absolutely true.  I remember they played the Browns that year, and it went to overtime because Peyton Manning threw 3 of the worst picks I've ever seen.  The worst part is that he should have thrown about 3 more but the Browns just dropped them.  That defense needs to get more credit, because they were legitimately great.  They don't have the numbers that they should because they were dealing with the pupu platter of Peyton Manning and the immortal Brock Osweiler couldn't remember what team they played on.  

• Like 1

There were many QB's who I would describe their Super Bowl run as game manager such as Brad Johnson, Trent Dilfer and even early Tom Brady.   

Joe Flacco was not a game manager during his Super Bowl run. He played insanely awesome as did Nick Foles.  How do we look at their careers having that one run in the playoffs under their belts? 

8 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

There were many QB's who I would describe their Super Bowl run as game manager such as Brad Johnson, Trent Dilfer and even early Tom Brady.   

Joe Flacco was not a game manager during his Super Bowl run. He played insanely awesome as did Nick Foles.  How do we look at their careers having that one run in the playoffs under their belts? 

This is why I don't hold, "he won a Super Bowl" in as much esteem as everyone else seems to. Almost anyone can have a great 3 or 4 game run.  Nick Foles has 2 really good seasons, and one of them ended in a Super Bowl win...but that doesn't make him good.  He's been average to below average every other time he stepped on a football field.  All those games mean more to me than the very few games that he was good.  Brad Johnson was OK for most of his career, not great but generally OK.  Trent Dilfer was terrible (He has a 4 TD 18 INT season).  Tom Brady is Tom Brady.  

Joe Flacco's playoff run remains mind  boggling. 1,140 yards, 11 TDs, 0 INTs, 117.2 rating... Legitimately in the discussion for the best playoffs by a QB ever. And, outside that, he was mostly just a guy.

(When I googled to get the numbers, my auto-correct changed Flacco to Fiasco, and I think that's really fitting.)

Edited by Brian Fowler
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Brian Fowler said:

Joe Flacco's playoff run remains mind  boggling. 1,140 yards, 11 TDs, 0 INTs, 117.2 rating... Legitimately in the discussion for the best playoffs by a QB ever. And, outside that, he was mostly just a guy.

(When I googled to get the numbers, my auto-correct changed Flacco to Fiasco, and I think that's really fitting.)

Flacco never made a Pro Bowl, which is much harder than you'd think.  Trent Dilfer and Nick Foles both made a Pro Bowl and Brad Johnson made two Pro Bowls.  

8 hours ago, Tabe said:

The point I'd always like to reiterate about Peyton's postseason legend is that the Super Bowl win with the Colts is when he had the dog ass shitty 3/7 TD/INT ratio during the playoffs. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, FluffSnackwell said:

The point I'd always like to reiterate about Peyton's postseason legend is that the Super Bowl win with the Colts is when he had the dog ass shitty 3/7 TD/INT ratio during the playoffs. 

One of the benefits of getting to play a team quarterbacked by Rex Grossman in the Super Bowl.

2 hours ago, supremebve said:

Flacco never made a Pro Bowl, which is much harder than you'd think.  Trent Dilfer and Nick Foles both made a Pro Bowl and Brad Johnson made two Pro Bowls.  

It's astounding. And he made like $200 million

11 hours ago, johnnyboy said:

I'll always look at that game through Reche Caldwell eyes.  Brutal loss.

That's exactly what I was thinking. Also don't forget that Joseph Addai scored the go-ahead TD run. It was only 2nd down though, so they probably would've scored off a Peyton Manning pass regardless. You can never be sure though. 

It seems like since Peyton retired, the conversation briefly shifted towards Rodgers as a superior arm talent/pure passer to Brady, and then also back to Brady and Montana before 28-3. Probably the last idol worshipper to argue Peyton/Brady was Colin Cowherd, because Peyton retired with a 3-1 record vs. Brady in conference title games, ignoring that through that entire 2016 postseason, the only good half Peyton did have was against the Pats. Come to think of it, his only good half in the Colts Super Bowl run was the second half comeback against the Patriots. All shattering the single season TD pass so late in his career did for Manning was cement him as the best video game quarterback ever. He just wasn't as good at flicking the magic bean during the postseason. 

Edited by FluffSnackwell