DVDVR Message Board

1,001 songs to listen to before you die...

Liam

To give the song its due, I think I hate the stuff around it more than the song itself. However, thought it'd get a laugh or two if I left it at that, so glad people enjoyed it.

‘When The Levee Breaks’, Led Zeppelin (1971)

This is another song that I’ve heard a cover version of, but have never had a chance to hear this version, let alone the actual original version. Written in 1927 and about the Great Mississippi Flood, this version was given a rockier, bluesier take from Zeppelin. Plant and Paige’s work is good, but the drumming is what carries a lot of this song. Apparently, they played the drums at the bottom of a set of old stairs and placed the microphones above it, leading to the natural echo and reverb. It is an odd one for me, because I appreciate it from a technical standpoint, but it doesn’t do as much for me as Whole Lotta Love or some of their punchier rock songs. I get why people like it though, that’s for sure.

‘Surf’s Up’, The Beach Boys (1971)

An interesting story lay behind this as it was due to be the song that anchored Brian Wilson’s ‘Smile’ project, with various snippets, re-imaginings and revamps released over the next five decades as it was abandoned. At this point, only ‘Surf’s Up’ found its way onto the next Beach Boys album, though a version that had to be rebuilt from demo material by Carl Wilson. The more I hear from the Beach Boys around some of their more saccharine offerings, I’m all the more impressed by the quality of the songwriting – well, definitely the scope.

‘Theme from Shaft’, Isaac Hayes (1971)

Some songs are just immeasurably cool – ‘Theme from Shaft’ is one of them. Before things even get to the famous lines from Hayes, there is a lot going on with the instruments. Guitar riffs, insistent hi-hat cymbal work, keyboard and woodwind amongst other elements all add up to a two minute introduction that sets the tone for the character that this became synonymous with. It is equal parts funky and grand, taken over the top by the deep musings of Hayes about Shaft’s various qualities. I’ve not even seen the films, I’ll be honest with you, but I know the song. That ability to transcend where you started from speaks volumes on a list like this.

‘The Revolution Will Not Be Televised’ Gil Scott-Heron (1971)

Originally recorded in 1970, but re-recorded with a full band treatment in 1971, Heron takes a humorous and cynical look at the world at that time. His lyrics spill out with a rapidity that showcased a level of skill that is still impressive today, showing an acute consciousness of the world surrounding him which made this a popular counter-culture song. It – at least to me – seems like another song that calls for change to come from within, for people who are complaining to rise up and do something about it, rather than sitting back and not being engaged. Powerful work.

‘It’s Too Late’, Carole King (1971)

Carole King and Tapestry in particular is an artist and an album that I’ve seen kicking around in music stores for years, but have never had any inclination to pick it up and listen. From what I hear, I wouldn’t argue I’ve missed a lot, but the song is pretty good all in all. It is perhaps most interesting for its lyrics as this was a woman singing about a relationship ending, yet being happy for the good times that they’d both experienced. At a time when a lot of songs were about women getting done wrong, or being the cheaters themselves, it was a different take on a breakup song. The jazzy accompaniments are also effective, especially seen through modern eyes – I’ve experienced too many guitar singer/songwriters, so this sounds fresher for that.

‘Dum Maro Dum’, Asha Bhosle (1971)

The younger sister of Lata Mangeshkar, Bhosle is apparently one of the most recorded artists of all time, primarily due to her being a vocalist for many a Bollywood film. This feels very different to the songs I’ve heard in this style, which can probably be explained by the film and the song title. In the film, the actress is smoking a spliff and the song means ‘Puff, take a puff’. The usual bhangra style accompaniments are interesting bedfellows with rock guitars and some slightly more psychedelic flourishes. Quite a fun little slice of music culture. Not that I need to compare them, but I prefer this to her sister’s song, so there.

‘Tired Of Being Alone’, Al Greene (1971)

Originally singing in a gospel choir when he was 10, Al Greene was eventually kicked out of not only the choir, but the family home, by his father after he was caught listening to Jackie Wilson. Sounds pretty harsh to me, thought it did lead to him following this musical path instead. A punchy little number at less than three minutes running time, Greene spends it utilising his high vocal stylings making it clear how much he was yearning for someone. I like the little flourishes of the Memphis Horn Section, whilst the almost spoken word segment near the end adds a neat element of reality to proceedings. Perhaps Greene really was tired of being alone.

‘Won’t Get Fooled Again’, The Who (1971)

Influenced by: Street Fighting Man • The Rolling Stones (1968)

Influence on: Jump • Van Halen (1984)   

Covered by: Labelle (1972) • Skrewdriver (1977) • Van Halen (1993)   Other key track: I Can See for Miles (1967)

This is a perfect example of a song that has everyone working at full capacity. Coming shortly after the rock opera of Tommy, ‘Who’s Next’ provided a number of songs that I – as a non-Who fan – was well aware of. Whilst this mainly has a place in my mind due to its use on CSI: Miami more so than my actual knowledge of the song, the eight minute track is an impressive showcase of all four members of the band. Daltrey’s vocals are great, whilst the bass, drum and guitar create a driving racket that perhaps explains why it was originally the soundtrack to an uprising during the abandoned ‘Lifehouse’ project that had originally been on the table for their next album. Even the last minute or so, when things threaten to meander to a close, things kick back in just before the finish. A great rock song that I’m glad I’ve now finally listened to from start to finish.

‘Vincent’, Don McLean (1971)

Inspired by: The Starry Night (painting) • Vincent van Gogh (1889)

Inspiration for: “Starry Night” • Tupac Shakur (1999)   

Covered by: Chet Atkins (1972) • The King’s Singers (1989) • Justin Hayward (1994) • Josh Groban (2001) • Rick Astley (2005)

I had a moment when I read this next section in which I couldn’t actually remember who Don McLean was. Anyhoo, this is a really interesting song that explored the life and death of Vincent Van Gogh. Actually more successful chart-wise than ‘American Pie’, this is a less bombastic take on a eulogy, with a simple guitar singer-songwriter setup. McLean has a good, clean voice which was necessary for the sparseness of the arrangement. If there is a knock against it, it is almost too poignant, especially for a song that found its way into the upper echelons of the chart. It feels a little too intimate, too earnest in its exploration of the emotions McLean felt. Still, it is arguably a ‘better’ song than American Pie, depending on what you want from your music.

‘The City of New Orleans’, Steve Goodman (1971)

According to the book, this was made more popular in the years that followed, but this was the highlight of Goodman’s short career. He was in his early twenties when he wrote this and passed away in 1984 from leukaemia, leaving this as his most notable impact on the wider music scene. Perhaps it is due to the sheer size of the country, but the ‘travel song’ for lack of a better definition seems such an American staple, much more so than the UK or others. Standard singer songwriter fare that is an ear worm as Goodman sings about the train that took him from Chicago to New Orleans. A good slice of folk-country.

‘Peace Train’, Cat Stevens (1971)

An earnest song about hope in reaction to the Vietnam War, Stevens’ eventual conversion to Islam (and name change to Yusuf Islam) cemented this as one of his own personal favourites. Islam used his Greek-Cypriot background as the inspiration for the song’s sound as this was apparently in keeping with what you might hear on a Greek Island. The choral elements and the lively percussion do create a very positive tone, though the song as a whole doesn’t do much for me. It is easy to see why it was popular with people though, those looking for positivity during negative times.

‘Superstar’, The Carpenters (1971)

A step away from what the Carpenters were known for, as the song was about a groupie wanting to sleep with a musician, but retaining a lot of what made their music effective, ‘Superstar’ is a good bittersweet pop track. There are times when it almost feels like it is a James Bond opening song in prototype, though the chorus bits do take it more towards your standard pop single. If anything, those are the bits that I care for less – catchy, but less interesting for the most part. However, it does allow a song that might have otherwise not fit within the Carpenters’ oeuvre work.

On 5/18/2020 at 12:14 PM, Liam said:

Covered by: Labelle (1972) • Skrewdriver (1977) • Van Halen (1993)   Other key track: I Can See for Miles (1967)

Now THAT is one named I'm amazed got brought up in this thread. At least it was 1977 Skrewdriver, because bringing them up after that era... not a good look.

‘A Nickel and a Nail’, O.V. Wright (1971)

Coming from a gospel background, O.V. Wright turned to a more bluesy style as his career grew – singing songs brought for cheap by his label boss. What makes this all the more interesting is that he maintains elements of that gospel style, almost like a preacher addressing a congregation, though the achingly raw vocals feel much more bluesy in their delivery. There is a slight roughness that I appreciated when you compare this to some of the other blues/funk music that has made the list so far. It is also worth noting the instrumentation as it sounds simple, yet adds a nice element of funk to an otherwise pretty melancholy story.

‘Inner City Blues (Make Me Wanna Holler) (1971)

I run the risk – just like the last song – of throwing out words like ‘groove’ and ‘funk’ like a white man who really doesn’t know what he is talking about. However, the restrained brass and percussion give this a groove that hits from the opening beat that allows Gaye to explore ideas about society’s woes. Sometimes it is about the lyrics or the other accoutrements that see a song make the list – we know Gaye can sing, of that there is no doubt. This socially conscious lyric challenges the government’s misguided policies that rarely look to support those who are down and out and need it. Rarely has politics sounded so cool, though the poignancy of the piano-only section before the end brings things back down to the seriousness of the message.

‘Papa Was A Rolling Stone’, The Temptations (1972)

According to the book, the Temptations were at breaking point when this was recorded, leading to firing their producer, Norman Whitfield, shortly after. What perhaps made this more interesting is that Whitfield won two Grammys for the song; The Temptations only one. Now, I don’t really know how the Grammys work, so maybe that isn’t that much of a big deal…le shrug. What blows my mind a bit with this song is that it goes four minutes before a vocal of any sort. My limited knowledge of the Temptations never incorporated any understanding of them putting out songs that ran almost twelve minutes. It is dubbed ‘psychedelic soul’ and the layers of instrumentation do build up in an effective manner, creating almost a dreamlike feeling before each of the vocalists questions what type of person their father was. Does it need to go this long? Possibly not, but it is engaging for almost all of it.

They chose a lot of slow songs for this year. Couldn't have they have picked something a bit uptempo? Something like Move' On Up.

The only songs I really like from the list are Life on Mars?, Famous Blue Raincoat, and A Nickel and a Nail. I've never been a big fan of the What's Going On album, and I think it's pretty clear that Let's Stay Together is the best Al Green release from this year even if it's a track that needs no favours from the book.

I used to be a big Who fan just like I used to like Queen and various other acts, but man has CSI ruined their songs. 

Pakeezah is a great movie for what it's worth. Shaft is decent. There are other blaxploitation movies I prefer more, and the theme song has been parodied too many times for me to enjoy it anymore. There are a lot of other great blaxploitation themes that may or may not be included. Blaxploitation films gave artists an avenue to record music that was much more complex than radio friendly fare. I guess a lot of people hear a song like Shaft and think it's amusing, but there is a goldmine of funk, soul and jazz from those flicks. 

I own most of GIl Scott Heron's 70s records. The Revolution Will Not Be Televised is a classic, but I have always preferred it when he sings. Actually, the B side to The Revolution... is a good example:

The most interesting so they chose was Dum Maro Dum. I thought it was fascinating to hear a psychedelic Bollywood song. 

I used to really like Peace Train but it left me kind of cold this time. Perhaps it's not musically interesting enough. Somehow I feel like Cat Stevens hasn't been represented very well. I guess his best song has already been included with the P.P. Arnold cover. 

I am a sucker for that Carpenters song. I might not have it on any playlists, but it's the kind of song I'd end up singing in the shower. 

There was a huge prog-rock explosion in 1971. There were a ton of artists releasing music at this time -- Can, Yes, Jethro Tull, Van der Graaf Generator, Emerson, Lake & Palmer, Caravan, Genesis, Faust, King Crimson, Gentle Giant, the list goes on and on. It's hard for me to think of any standout singles since I tend to think of those artists in terms of albums. 

I do like this one, though:

There's not a ton of great soul or funk from this year, but here is some stuff I like:

The blues is even thinner from this year, but the great Freddy King was recording:

These guys were keeping garage rock alive at least:

I found a site where the editor's make choices for each year. I thought this was interesting:

This too:

Finally, this won't be for everyone, but Harry Nilsson sings the shit out of this Badfinger song:

EDIT: I think is dope enough to make the book:

Edited by ohtani's jacket
  • Like 2

‘I’ll Take You There’, The Staple Singers (1972)

This feels very familiar, which might be due to the general music being taken from another song, ‘The Liquidator’, but I don’t know that one either… Still, this is a pleasant enough song that threatens to feel a little too lightweight to be on that list at times. However, the more gospel call and response moments add a bit more weight to the song, as do the repeated refrains from the chorus as the song moves towards its conclusion. This isn’t going to stop traffic but it is a pleasant diversion.

‘Soul Makossa’, Manu Dibango (1972)

A hugely influential song, both on disco and broader music in terms of it being covered/sampled by many artists, this was one of Africa’s first global hits. It is an interesting slice of music as it clearly adds the lyrics and percussive elements of more tribal music, yet adds funkier tones to create a really lively mishmash. It does feel like the closest we’ve got yet to a ‘disco’ song (unless I’m forgetting something), perhaps setting the table for what was to come. Apparently there were 9 covers of the song in the charts at once, which in itself is mindblowing.

‘Superstition’, Stevie Wonder (1972)

There are few songs with a more distinctive opening than ‘Superstition’ by Stevie Wonder. Coming at a time when he had just negotiated full music rights for his songs from Motown – a huge deal for the time – this was also a time when Wonder was pretty much a one man band. A lot of the instrumental work is done by Wonder, which just goes to show what a talented man he is. It was the Hohner clavinet that gives the song its distinct sound, which helps make it a song that lives long in the memory.

‘Elected’, Alice Cooper (1972)

Outside of the classic Cooper tracks, I’ve not really heard too much of what he has had to offer throughout the years. I do think I know this in a passing fashion though, or at least a song or two that have ripped it off. Good timing – this was around the time of Watergate – probably helped this song to reach more prominence than it otherwise might have. It is decent enough rock (they actually liken it to the Who, which wouldn’t be the first band I think about when I think of Cooper), though I think it gets a bump for when it was released as much as being worthy to end up on a list such as this.

‘Sam Stone’, John Prine (1972)

If Bob Dylan shows up to your live show and starts playing the harmonica, that’s a pretty sizeable stamp of approval. A song about the long term effects of going to war is an interesting spin on what we’ve seen with regards to war-based songs so far – it feels like it is the first which tries to cover something akin to PTSD. The vocals are very drawly which isn’t to everyone’s taste, but the power of the narrative that is being sung is hard to argue. The relative jauntiness of the delivery makes it all the more effective; this was the norm, rather than a shock.

‘Willin’’, Little Feat (1972)

Kicked from Frank Zappa’s band in order to form a group primarily to record this song – or so the story goes – Lowell George is the main thrust behind Little Feat, called because he had…little feet. This is a song that is very American, but in a very good way as it is a great tune about the life of a road weary trucker and the things that get him through the day. A slightly beefier arrangement that wasn’t around for the demo does give a bit more heft to the pre-chorus and the song is all the better for it. Some cool slide guitar as well, something which I’ve grown to appreciate more as this project has gone on.

‘It’s A Rainy Day, Sunshine Girl’, Faust (1972)

The first ‘krautrock’ band to find its way onto the list and it is seven minutes of a song that is at least interesting if nothing else. Behind all of the noise that comes with the instrumental work, there is a definite catchiness to the song. It doesn’t vary significantly from what it sets out to do from the opening notes, though it is arguably the clash between the whimsy of the lyrics and the somewhat monotonous melody (with occasional flourishes) that makes it…work? The best bit is probably the end saxophone that pretty much comes out of nowhere. It definitely isn’t in keeping with anything really up until now, so it has that going for it.

Sail Away’, Randy Newman (1972)

I struggle a little to take Randy Newman seriously after he was joked about on Family Guy many, many years ago. It is probably a little bit harsh, especially as Family Guy isn’t particularly funny. What that looked to knock was Newman’s style mainly as he got older, whilst it undermined work such as this. What seems a very positive song if you don’t pay too much attention to the lyrics turns out to be a song about slavery. The clash of tone versus lyrical content is really effective, even utilising a racial slur to drive home the real message. A thought provoking song, that’s for sure.

‘Silver Machine’, Hawkwind (1972)

Influenced by: Astronomy Domine • Pink Floyd (1967)   

Influence on: Ladies and Gentlemen We Are Floating In Space • Spiritualized (1997)

Covered by: James Last (1973) • Doctor & The Medics (1985) • Thin White Rope (1993) • The Church (1999) • Sex Pistols (2002)

Hawkwind were a band that I always saw the CDs of in HMV and never did get up the interest to buy them. However, I immediately recognised the song as it began and the clean vocals of Lemmy, distinctive even if somewhat away from what he’d utilise when fronting Motorhead. Musically simple, it hits all of the notes you’d want from a good rock song, with some added spacier elements that places us right in the 70s. Though it is dated in some ways, hooks don’t age the clean vocal chorus from Lemmy is golden.

On 5/23/2020 at 12:06 PM, Liam said:

‘Superstition’, Stevie Wonder (1972)

Jeff Beck told the story of how this came about in a documentary I saw recently. Basically, there was some downtime on a session he was doing with Stevie, everyone else was out of the studio so Jeff sat behind the drums and started playing something rudimentary. Stevie walked in on him and said "don't stop playing that", sat down at the keyboard and wrote the song in about five minutes. He took it to Berry Gordy and Gordy said it was the best thing he'd ever written and released it immediately. Apparently Stevie wasn't so hot on the 'metal' version that Beck, Bogert and Appice put out though. 

I'm surprised that "Silver Machine" has the longevity that it does as it's a pretty basic rock song and without the effects and the spaciness of the end section wouldn't sound like Hawkwind at all. 

‘Tumbling Dice’, The Rolling Stones (1972)

Influenced by: Alimony • Ry Cooder (1970)   

Influence on: Bad Obsession • Guns N’ Roses (1991)

Covered by: Owen Gray (1973) • Linda Ronstadt (1977) • Pussy Galore (1986) • Bon Jovi (1995) • Johnny Copeland (1997) • Molly Hatchet (2000) • Barry Goldberg (2002) • Jill Johnson with Kim Carnes (2007)

A reworked version of ‘Good Time Woman’, this is a song that seemingly benefitted from different lyrics, a faster tempo and a shifting around of personnel. Keith Richards took over guitar from Mick Taylor and the pieces fell into place. The lyrics aren’t exactly the easiest to comprehend – Jagger claims they are about gambling; other things differently – but the main thing that the song has going for it is the overall groove of the guitar. I’m not overly fussed by the song as a whole, but the melody sure is catchy.

‘Thirteen’, Big Star (1972)

The product of Alex Chilton’s brief involvement with Big Star – most of these words meaning very little to me – this is a really good slice of whimsical pop that doesn’t overstay its welcome. The clarity of the guitar and the cleanness of the vocals set the scene for a song that explores ideas around relationships at junior high level. The harmonising vocals in the background help to give this song a bit more heft in places and what could have been an otherwise wanky nostalgia trip is anything but.

‘Big Eyed Beans from Venus’, Captain Beefheart & The Magic Band (1972)

I wasn’t sure as to whether any more Captain Beefheart might make its way onto the list, so here we are. As a Clutch fan, there is a very Clutch-esque feeling to the delivery, though replacing the crunch with a pulsing tone that feels much more of its time. Underneath the swirling, changing music is a really hook-laden song that manages to be both weird and memorable (in a good way). It once again sees a range of different, disparate ideas thrown together to make a song, though perhaps a little bit on the tamer side than his previous effort.

‘Rocket Man’, Elton John (1972)

Influenced by: Rocket Man • Pearls Before Swine (1970)   

Influence on: 1st Man in Space • All Seeing I  (1999)

Covered by: Kate Bush (1991) • Hank Marvin (1993) • The Nixons (1998) • Angie Aparo (2002) • Carl Dixon (2003)

I unashamedly love Elton John’s singles. The mixture of his melodies and Bernie Taupin’s lyrics are just golden for me and ‘Rocket Man’ is up there amongst his best I feel. At a time when people were excited by the idea of space travel, this very mundane existence that is painted by John is definitely an interesting take. Inspired by a Ray Bradbury short story, it grounds things in the everyday in a way which juxtaposes effectively with the narrative. The harmonising, the twangy guitars and John’s vocals create a great slice of pop music that still sounds good to this day.

‘Mama Weer All Crazy Now’, Slade (1972)

Influenced by: L-O-N-D-O-N • Lord Sutch & Heavy Friends (1970)   

Influence on: Rock and Roll All Nite • Kiss (1975)   

Covered by: James Last (1973) • The Runaways (1978) • Mama’s Boys (1984) • Quiet Riot (1984) • The Oppressed (2001) • Reel Big Fish (2009)

As someone who only know Slade as a novelty Christmas act, this is at least a chance to hear what they were capable of when we were outside of the month of December. It is probable that I’d already heard it, but it didn’t really stick with me that time if I had. This is a driving, lively rock song and Slade were apparently an amazing live act, something that I can entirely imagine. However, when you think about what came – looking at the influence on list brings up Kiss – it just feels a little bit small time to me in a way that perhaps it shouldn’t, but it just does.

Worth noting that Youtube auto-played ‘Cum On Feel The Noize’ next, so maybe I know a bit more Slade than I realised. I’m not particularly fussed by that song either. I get their appeal, just not for me.

‘Rocky Mountain High’, John Denver (1972)

Ah, my childhood. My Mum, not a noted music fan at all, was really into John Denver and this is up there with my favourite tracks by him. The book calls him one of the ‘blandest’ of the male 70s superstars and it is hard to argue against that. Between the lyrical content and the simple folksy country backing, it doesn’t do anything that excites – but it just sticks with me in a way that other songs just haven’t. This ode to the Colorado and the beauty of nature invites a singalong; sometimes songs don’t have to be earthshattering to be enjoyed.

On 5/28/2020 at 10:45 AM, Liam said:

‘Rocket Man’, Elton John (1972)

Influenced by: Rocket Man • Pearls Before Swine (1970)   

Influence on: 1st Man in Space • All Seeing I  (1999)

Covered by: Kate Bush (1991) • Hank Marvin (1993) • The Nixons (1998) • Angie Aparo (2002) • Carl Dixon (2003)

I unashamedly love Elton John’s singles. The mixture of his melodies and Bernie Taupin’s lyrics are just golden for me and ‘Rocket Man’ is up there amongst his best I feel. At a time when people were excited by the idea of space travel, this very mundane existence that is painted by John is definitely an interesting take. Inspired by a Ray Bradbury short story, it grounds things in the everyday in a way which juxtaposes effectively with the narrative. The harmonising, the twangy guitars and John’s vocals create a great slice of pop music that still sounds good to this day.

‘Mama Weer All Crazy Now’, Slade (1972)

Influenced by: L-O-N-D-O-N • Lord Sutch & Heavy Friends (1970)   

Influence on: Rock and Roll All Nite • Kiss (1975)   

Covered by: James Last (1973) • The Runaways (1978) • Mama’s Boys (1984) • Quiet Riot (1984) • The Oppressed (2001) • Reel Big Fish (2009)

As someone who only know Slade as a novelty Christmas act, this is at least a chance to hear what they were capable of when we were outside of the month of December. It is probable that I’d already heard it, but it didn’t really stick with me that time if I had. This is a driving, lively rock song and Slade were apparently an amazing live act, something that I can entirely imagine. However, when you think about what came – looking at the influence on list brings up Kiss – it just feels a little bit small time to me in a way that perhaps it shouldn’t, but it just does.

Worth noting that Youtube auto-played ‘Cum On Feel The Noize’ next, so maybe I know a bit more Slade than I realised. I’m not particularly fussed by that song either. I get their appeal, just not for me.

‘Rocky Mountain High’, John Denver (1972)

Ah, my childhood. My Mum, not a noted music fan at all, was really into John Denver and this is up there with my favourite tracks by him. The book calls him one of the ‘blandest’ of the male 70s superstars and it is hard to argue against that. Between the lyrical content and the simple folksy country backing, it doesn’t do anything that excites – but it just sticks with me in a way that other songs just haven’t. This ode to the Colorado and the beauty of nature invites a singalong; sometimes songs don’t have to be earthshattering to be enjoyed.

Slade (as with Lord Sutch and Heavy Friends) is best appreciated with a handful of methamphetamine tabs and a fifth or so of MD 20/20. I guess you had to be there... ? We blew at least three sets of speakers with this song the neighbors must have just hated us...  The usual routine was to rendezvous after third period, stop at the grocery where the owner was only too happy to sell booze to kids, drop a combo of speed and acid and rock the fuck out to Slade, Zeppelin and Alice Cooper... Oh yeah, on special occasions we would stop by my house to get the two Lord Sutch albums. You haven't lived until you hear "Hands of Jack the Ripper" while ripped out of your mind on acid and MD 20/20! Not that I advocate the use of such things any longer, but when I was fifteen it was a different world... Thankfully I sobered up just before I turned 31.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

‘The Night’, Frankie Valli and the Four Seasons (1972)

With all of the components that could provide uplifting and joyful songs about love, it is quite interesting to hear a Valli and the Four Seasons song that tackles a break up instead. As well as being lyrically interesting, the harmonising actually adds a slightly haunting tone to the overall package as it makes everything seem that touch more dramatic.  I don’t have much more to say – it is a well put together song that makes the most of its component parts.

‘Reelin’ In The Years’, Steely Dan (1972)

I’m sure I’ve heard some Steely Dan in my years, yet not something I can pick out of a lineup. The introduction and the tone of the song clash somewhat for me, as the initial guitar sets you up for a rock and roll song, yet they provide a pop song with guitars. That’s not a knock on them at all, but it is just not quite what you might be expecting. The solo in the middle is the main nod – outside of the introduction – to this being a born and bred rock song, and it does the job. The chorus is an ear worm, though it just doesn’t really do much for me in the grand scheme of things. Perfectly decent; no more, no less.

‘Always On My Mind’, Elvis Presley (1972)

I believe my first introduction to this song was the Pet Shop Boys cover that I personally always enjoyed. This feels placed on the list primarily for its significance as the curtain began to come down on Presley’s rebirth in the public conscious. I mean, it is a fine song, but to me it isn’t anything overly special just because Elvis is singing it. The orchestration and vocal delivery are both good, I’ll give it that much.

I've got to disagree with you here.

Always on My Mind is one of the greatest songs ever penned. The Brenda Lee, Gwen McGrae and Willie Nelson versions are excellent, but the Elvis version came only weeks after his separation from his wife and heralded the beginning of his decline. 

For what it's worth, the version you shared is a 1985 overdub with added strings. This is the original 1972 single:

Edited by ohtani's jacket
  • Like 1

Yeah, I've tried where possible to get the original version from that year, but I'm not going to pretend I have always been successful.

Also, is the Elvis version the best one in your opinion?

Edited by Liam

‘Most People I Know (Think That I’m Crazy)’, Billy Thorpe and the Aztecs (1972)

A big song in Australia it would seem, this apparently was the signature song of Billy Thorpe and his Aztecs as they began to move away from a more poppy sound to a rockier take, both aurally and aesthetically. The simplicity of the guitar and the narrative are things that I like; it was introduced at a festival in 1972 and I can imagine this going down well with many thousands of pissed up music fans. They even throw in a brief guitar solo to enjoy. Really fun if nothing out of the ordinary.

‘Taj Mahal’, Jorge Ben (1972)

Mixing samba with rock and funk, Jorge Ben attempted to tell the story about the love of Mughal Prince Shah Jahan for Princess Mumtaz Mahal, though the bulk of the vocal work seems to be noise rather than lyrics. The whole thing is very catchy to give it credit, something Rod Stewart noted when he borrowed from the song for ‘Da Ya Think I’m Sexy?’. Jorge Ben either sued or was going to, though the resolution saw Stewart donate the royalties to UNICEF. The chorus is very, very catchy.

‘Walk On The Wild Side’, Lou Reed (1972)

Influenced by: Sweet Talkin’ Guy • The Chiffons (1966)   

Influence on: Animal Nitrate • Suede (1993)   

Covered by: Vanessa Paradis (1990) • The Skids (1991) • Company B (1996) • Texas Lightning (2005) • Paul Young (2006) • Editors (2007) • Jesse Malin (2008)   

Other key track: Perfect Day (1972)

This is another song that I can file under the ‘know of it, but never heard it fully’ category. The chorus and Reed’s ‘do do do’-ing afterwards is firmly imprinted on my mind, yet I don’t remember ever hearing it from open to close. Referencing oral sex, transvestites and drugs in his telling of the live of some real Manhattan hustlers who Andy Warhol knew, the song at once feels both seedy and affectionate. Of the little bit of Reed I’ve heard, either as solo or Velvet Underground, he doesn’t have the voice you might expect when you see pictures of him. There is a clarity and melody I always like, when you expect a certain level of gruffness.

‘Virginia Plain’, Roxy Music (1972)

Influenced by: I’m Waiting for the Man • The Velvet Underground (1967)   

Influence on: A Glass of Champagne • Sailor (1975)   

Covered by: Spizzenergi (1979) • Slamm (1993) • Griff Steel (2007)   

Other key track: Do the Strand (1973)

Yadda yadda yadda band I know that I’ve not heard a lot of yadda yadda yadda – sorry, feel like I say that a lot at points. What does surprise me is that I assumed Roxy Music were more of a late 70s/80s acts, so to have them pop up in 1972 is interesting. Admittedly, this is only their first single and what a weird and wonderful single it is. The keyboard, saxophone parping and sci-fi sounds all add together to create a song that feels incredibly strange, yet also ahead of its time. There is a lot going on, that’s for sure.

‘You’re So Vain’, Carly Simon (1972)

Another song that fits into the ‘universal’ category for me; I can’t imagine many people don’t know this, even if they don’t know who did it or anything outside of the chorus.  It is an unarguably catchy song, though the question as to who warranted such a song to be written about them may explain its longevity. Between the autobiographical lyrics and a vocal delivery that mixes almost ‘talk singing’ with moments of melody, Simon had a nailed on hit here; it went to number 1 for a few weeks at the start of 1973. Would it have such a following if it wasn’t for the mystery behind it? Quite possibly – it is a really good song.

‘Today I Started Loving You Again’, Bettye Swann (1972)

The gestation of this song is as much of interest as the song itself. A country standard given a soul makeover by Swann, a duet version with Buck Owens had remained unreleased as it was still considered too controversial to mix white country and black soul in such a fashion. It also was one of the last songs by Swann before she quit the business to focus on her faith. It is short and sweet, with Swann’s vocals doing a wonderful job over the woodwind and strings that form a beautifully simplistic melody.

‘Il mio canto librero’, Lucio Battisti (1972)

My (and your) mileage might vary on some of the non-English language songs, often because they just come from a different contextual place in terms of their musical mores. I was initially feeling a little bit dubious about ‘Il mio canto librero’, but as the instrumental began to swell, I began to see what might appear to someone, especially if they knew what the lyrics meant. A love story that talks about coming out of an acrimonious situation and meeting someone new, it touched a nerve in 1972 that saw it translated into many different languages along the way. There have been better ‘foreign’ songs on the list, but this has its moments.

‘Superfly’, Curtis Mayfield (1972)

I can only imagine that I’ve heard a song that sampled the introduction as this immediately sounds familiar, though it definitely a song I’ve never heard before. Super Fly was a Blaxploitation film that had the soundtrack written and performed by Mayfield, who used his lyrics to explore the story of a drug dealer trying to get out of the business – apparently the lyrics being less ambiguous than the movie in its condemnation of drugs. An early example of a soul ‘concept album’ with this as what I assume was the main song, this is funky with some effective use of percussion and brass to support Mayfield’s high vocal stylings.  Just a good song that fit perfectly for a film exploring black issues of the time period.

‘Crazy Horses’, The Osmonds (1972)

This was a wild release from the otherwise pretty strait-laced Osmonds. Funky and rocking from the opening notes, this was apparently a song that aimed to raise some awareness of being eco-conscious, the lyrics providing something of an anti-pollution message. The crunchy guitars and squealing Buchla synth don’t hide the fact that this is at heart a very competent piece of pop music. I imagine it must have opened some eyes and raised some eyebrows upon its release, but fair play to a band whose lead singer claimed Led Zeppelin as his biggest influence.

Edited by Liam

‘All The Young Dudes’, Mott the Hoople (1972)

Written and produced by David Bowie after the band had originally passed upon ‘Suffragette City’, this was a song that I had no idea I’d heard before, yet the chorus immediately reminded me of the song. Outside of the church organ work, it is the organ that for me is the most standout part of the song. It just has a way of wheedling into your head, probably helped by the clapping that isn’t too prominent, but just adds another layer of catchiness for the listener.

‘Personality Crisis’, New York Dolls (1973)

Influenced by: Brown Sugar • The Rolling Stones (1971)   

Influence on: Blitzkrieg Bop • Ramones (1976)   

Covered by: Sonic Youth (1993) • Teenage Fanclub (1998)   

Other key track: Looking for a Kiss (1973)

I actually saw these live at Reading Festival the year that Morissey headlined one of the nights. I’ll be honest, I can’t actually remember a thing about their set, but it wasn’t so bad that it stuck in my head, so that is something. This feels ahead of its time, with the book suggesting that different elements of what the Dolls did earned the Ramones, KISS and The Sex Pistols fame in the years to come. I really enjoy it – there’s a swagger writ large amongst the noise and it doesn’t forget that music largely needs to be memorable and catchy. Nothing technically impressive, yet music doesn’t have to be that way.

‘Ballroom Blitz’, The Sweet (1973)

Like many people of my age, I’m going to assume that many had their first introduction to this song during Wayne’s World. Apparently the lyrics are based on a genuine incident where a hostile crowd kicked off at them and began lobbing bottles – Scotland will Scotland. This has a lot going for it, from the catchiness of the chorus to the power chords and the campness of the bridge vocals, but I must say that I prefer watching Tia Carrere performing it. Can’t help that.

• Like 1

I thought the authors did a pretty good job with this year. I appreciated the effort they made to cover different genres. The list reflects how varied and eclectic music was at the time and captures the movements that were happening at the time.

I do have a few grievances, though. Namely, the lack of Neil Young. If it were up to me, Neil Young would be all over this list the same way that the Beatles and the Rolling Stones were, or Elvis and Sinatra. I read elsewhere that the only other song he gets is "Like a Hurricane," which is bullshit. There's always going to be individual preferences, particularly when it comes to preferring one singer-songwriter over another, but Neil Young is an institution to me. 

I would choose either Superstition or Bowie's Starman as the year's best. There was a lot of good stuff, though. The only really weak song was that Aussie one. I'm not sure why they keep choosing songs from Australia. Choose something from New Zealand, damnit!

This was actually voted as our greatest ever song:

I kind of prefer this cover, though:

I think they choose the wrong Steely Dan song too:

Always a popular song w/ Japanese guys at karaoke:

Still waiting for them to pick some Townes Van Zandt:

Breaking Bad forever stuck this in my head:

Definitely need some O'Jays, either this or Love Train:

My favorite folk song ever:

We need some Bill Withers. This is as good as any:

Underrated band:

They really need some WAR but I don't see any coming. It was either this or Cisco Kid, but there is a live version of Cisco Kid I prefer over the album cut. I've included it because everyone should appreciate this fine band:

A few songs that are just as piercing today as in '72:

Some krautrock that kicks ass:

TEDDY. I could go on about Teddy for a while if you let me:

You might remember this from Kill Bill. I've actually been thinking of pimping some Japanese music:

I really like the chorus to this song:

Sing it, Luther:

One of my favorite Bobby Womack songs:

British funk:

A fun little number:

Funkiest gospel tune ever?

I'm not sure if this was released as a single, but it's one of my all-time favorite songs. I have a live version I prefer but this is the original album track:

That's enough for now. I'll spare everyone the slow jams like Oh, Girl and Betcha By Golly, Wow.

7 hours ago, ohtani's jacket said:

Liam, can you post 367-369? I was waiting to hear what you think of You're So Vain.

Since you caught it quite early, I just threw the three into the top of a post a couple back. It is always when I get out of the habit of posting daily that I forget a group of songs. Thanks for picking them up.