DVDVR Message Board

1,001 songs to listen to before you die...

Liam

6 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

Hmmm, interesting. Then again if I was going to Priest I would want to hear something off of so many different albums at that point that I REALLY don't want to hear half of Painkiller, unless they're playing a two hour or something long set. That was their TWELFTH ALBUM. And minus the only half-good Point of Entry, Turbo, and Ram It Down, I can honestly say that I like almost every single song off of all the rest of them.

I thought you could have combined the better halves of Turbo and Point of Entry to get an "on the level" album. Priest members have said that when they played Point of Entry stuff live, it was phenomenal. At least the live version of "Heading Out to the Highway" is WAY better than the studio version. I love every album since '80 (except Point of Entry), from the 70's stuff Diamonds and Rust and Green Manalishi (two covers, incidentally) are my favorites.

Point of Entry is legit half-down-the-middle to me. 

Spoiler

Heading Out To The Highway

Don't Go

Hot Rockin'

Desert Plains (incredible)

Solar Angels (incredible)

Turning Circles

the rest of side B

When you make what I consider to be the best album of all time (Sad Wings of Destiny) and possibly the best live (haha probably not) album (Unleashed in the East) of all time, well... I hold you to certain standards. 

10 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

Point of Entry is legit half-down-the-middle to me. 

Reveal hidden contents

Heading Out To The Highway

Don't Go

Hot Rockin'

Desert Plains (incredible)

Solar Angels (incredible)

Turning Circles

the rest of side B

When you make what I consider to be the best album of all time (Sad Wings of Destiny) and possibly the best live (haha probably not) album (Unleashed in the East) of all time, well... I hold you to certain standards. 

Hah, I don't even remember Point of Entry's tracklist, but all the good ones are the tracks right from the beginning. But those ARE good songs! Pick the good ones from Turbo and you have a Priest album!

‘Kool Thing’, Sonic Youth (1990)

Influenced by: Femme Fatale • The Velvet Undergound & Nico (1969)   

Influence on: Swimsuit Issue • Sonic Youth (1992)   

Covered by: Steve Wynn (1991) • Tub Ring (2004)   

Other key tracks: Expressway to Yr. Skull (1986) • Teen Age Riot (1988) • The Sprawl (1988) • Dirty Boots (1990)

I was expecting myself to have heard this song before for some reason…I couldn’t have been more wrong. This is an interesting track primarily because it saw Sonic Youth team up with Chuck D of Public Enemy, apparently one of those ‘right place, right time’ moments. This was the closest the band came to something approximating mainstream acceptance according to the book, though this was somewhat at odds with the music they had been churning out the years previous. This is good-ish, but doesn’t inspire much more than that from me if I’m being completely honest.

‘Only Love Can Break Your Heart’, Saint Etienne (1990)

I’m a big fan of the original Neil Young song, but this couldn’t really be further from it. However, a sound that you don’t think necessarily should work on that song genuinely does. A blissed out dance vibe is almost creepy in its deployment, whilst things kick a little more into gear towards the second half to liven up what might otherwise become a song that outstays its welcome.

‘Crazy’, Seal (1990)

Influenced by: The Wind Cries Mary • The Jimi Hendrix Experience (1967)   

Influence on: Space Cowboy • Jamiroquai (1994)   

Covered by: Talisman (1996) • Iron Savior (2002) • Mushroomhead (2003) • Alanis Morissette (2005) • Helena Paparizou (2006)

This is a personal favourite from my youth. The more I get to listen to songs from around this period, the clearer the influence of dance music and the like on pop music, something that I believe you can really hear in ‘Crazy’. Seal has a great, husky voice, whilst the lyrics, especially of the chorus, can be empathised with. This is also a tune that I probably didn’t realise had a lot more going on than it seemed when I first listened to it. The production makes everything feel lush.

‘Mustt Mustt (Lost In His Work)’, Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan (1990)

Qawwali is a blend of Islamic (Sufi) poetry and Hindustani music. Khan supported such fusion because, in the Qur’an, Allah is said to favor diversity—and Khan considered music the best way to celebrate this. He had already updated qawwali, speeding up and shortening traditional pieces that could last up to an hour and were performed with just harmonium, drums, and chorus vocals. “Musst Musst” (“intoxicated” or “high”) features a West African djembe drum, funky bass, and electric guitars. Over this, Khan recites Urdu poetry and improvises in his trademark wordless style, similar to scat.

I enjoyed it.

‘Diaraby Nene’, Oumou Sangare (1990)

A Malian woman singing openly and honestly about female desire? Unsurprisingly, this was quite a controversial song at this time. The quick hi-hat driven tempo is simple, yet quite entrancing, whilst Sangare herself has an enjoyable, soulful quality to her vocals with the occasional moments in which she lets loose to really show her power. It is never really going to be ‘my bag’, per se, but a pleasant addition to the list.

So the 80s are over already, huh? 

I was going to complain about a fourth Cure song on the list until I remembered that Disintegration is from 1989 and that's generally their most acclaimed album. The other big albums from '89 are Doolittle and The Stone Roses. I thought they might have made a bigger deal out of the latter. The Stone Roses were the next big thing for a while. They were my best mate's favorite band in high school. I used to give him shit about them all the time, but they were a good band and it's a great album. Just don't tell him. 

1989 wasn't a great year for music. Probably the worst year of the 80s. I can't really complain too much about the book's picks. The only song I disliked was that Mother Lover Bone track. Grunge/Pearl Jam was pretty much the soundtrack for my teenage years, but hat sounded like Sunset Strip Glam Metal. I didn't like Andrew Wood's vocals or lyrics at all.

I do think they missed a few tricks, though.

I thought they could have included something from Paul's Boutique to highlight the Beastie Boys' shift from frat rap to serious hip hop artists:

Also, Fight The Power is too big a song to leave off the list. 

They tried to include some dance numbers, but they left off this monster:

Or how about:

Finally, how about a shut out to Neil? 

My picks for the year are mostly the same old artists:

Spoiler

• Like 1

I know they wanted to showcase alternative hip hop with the Digital Underground pick, but this is a better song:

Or, if they wanted a novelty pick, why not Biz?

I don't really expect any Ice T or D.O.C. when they had NWA on the list, but Dre did an awesome job on this album:

Hip Hop fans will appreciate this one:

There is absolutely nothing I want to share from funk, soul, r&b, etc. this year, which is tragic, so on to the metal.

A lot of the big metal acts were between albums in 1989. Thrash metal had run its course and Death metal was on the rise. 

If you have the nerve then Morbid Angel and Obituary are must-listens.

There's also this grindcore band:

• Like 1

'89 was the year Voivod should have got their due after all these years, even if it was just a Pink Floyd cover.

Earache Records had a groundbreaking year, with the releases of Terrorizer's World Downfall, the actual release of Repulsion's Horrified after its '86 recording, Bolt Thrower's Realm of Chaos, Carcass' best album (finally re-released on vinyl to pre-order just now!!!) Symphonies of Sickness, and the enormous industrial monolith, Godflesh's Streetcleaner. 

And then there was a little band from California named Autopsy...

‘1952 Vincent Black Lightning’, Richard Thompson (1991)

I’m not entirely sure why this is here. It is a decent enough singer songwriter style song, with some nice acoustic guitar work and a story of a man who – in trying to woe Red Molly – ends up crashing his motorbike and dying. If the book is anything to go by, this seems to be as much because of the narrative. Apparently it links to the style of stories expected of the British ballad style, James Adie the main character a classic antihero. Ok, but that isn’t really enough for me.

‘Balada Conducatorolui’, Taraf de Haïdouks (1991)

This one at least makes a bit more sense. With Western music banned behind the Iron Curtain, many ancient music styles were preserved. The band’s name translated to ‘band of outlaws’; the name of the song, to ‘ballad of the dictator’. The song tells about the overthrow of the tyrant, though the most interesting thing for me is the grinding noise that is in the introduction and repeated throughout. Apparently this was created by tugging horse’s hair on the violin’s strings. Never have I heard a more disconcerting noise.

‘Calling All Angels’, Jane Siberry with k.d. lang (1991)

Sometimes, a song just isn’t really for you. I can appreciate Siberry’s vocals, the arguable beauty of the guitar work, and lang’s additional work, but I don’t particularly like the song. I keep waiting for it to kick into something more than what it is, yet it never quite gets there. The sum of the parts doesn’t create the engaging whole that I might have been expecting, though I can definitely see the appeal.

‘I Can’t Make You Love Me’, Bonnie Raitt (1991)

This is more like it for me. Though it doesn’t necessarily offer anything over and above the previous song in terms of quality, there is something about the combination of the vocals and the piano accompaniment that works for me. Perhaps it is easier to empathise with an unrequited love song? The vocals were done in one take as Raitt declared that she couldn’t summon up the necessary emotion more than once – to be fair, she pretty much blasted it out of the park. Weary, sad, loved up; it all comes together across the course of the song.

‘Jesus Built My Hotrod’, Ministry (1991)

Influenced by: Surfin’ Bird • The Trashmen (1963)   

Influence on: Some Dispute Over T-Shirt Sales • Butthole Surfers (1993)   

Covered by: Shining (1999) • The BossHoss (2006)   

Other key tracks: TV Song (1991) • N.W.O. (1991) • Just One Fix (1991)

I’ve never listened to as much Ministry as I feel I should have done, though what I have heard has never really inspired me to want to check out their back catalogue. That industrial sound is one that I can take or leave depending on who is doing it if I’m being honest. This is pretty batshit insane, that’s easy enough to point at, as the driving drums and guitar are accompanied by bug-eyed vocals by Gibby Haynes from Butthole Surfers. What makes this an interesting slice of music is how you can hear the pop elements, they are just completely overridden by all the other weirdness going on over the top. It isn’t a mind change for me, but it is decent, I’ll give it that.

Edited by Liam

I think the album that Richard Thompson song was on cemented him as Britain's greatest folk guitarist. Didn't they have another of his songs in the book? TIME Magazine chose 1952 Vincent Black Lightning in its all-time100 songs. Funnily enough, the entry after it is C.R.E.A.M. 

EDIT: I forgot to mention that the guitar work is exceptional.

Edited by ohtani's jacket

‘No More Tears’, Ozzy Osbourne (1991)

Influenced by: I Am the Walrus • The Beatles (1967)   

Influence on: No More Tears • Darrell Deese (2008)   

Covered by: Black Label Society (1999) • Shaaman (2006)   

Other key tracks: Crazy Train (1980) • I Don’t Know (1980) • Diary of a Madman (1981)

Ozzy’s solo stuff has never appealed to me really. While I don’t mind the overly anthemic nature of the heavy metal furrow he chose to plough, I am just not a huge fan of his vocals. What worked for Black Sabbath when they were left to their own devices is not something I particularly enjoy when produced in the manner that we saw for his solo work. What that means for this song is that I quite like the stuff around it, yet as vocals and lyrics are the meat and veg of my enjoyment of music, I don’t particularly care for it as a whole. The breakdown in the middle is the highlight for me.

‘Smells Like Teen Spirit’, Nirvana (1991)

Influenced by: More Than a Feeling • Boston (1976)   

Influence on: I’ll Do Anything • Courtney Love (2004)   

Covered by: Tori Amos (1992) • Xorcist (1993) • The Flying Pickets (1994) • J.B.O. (1995) • Beki Bondage (2000) • Blanks 77 (2000) • Melvins (2000) • Willie Nelson (2001) • Paul Anka (2005)

What can you really say about this? It is a mammoth tune that changed music for the better or worse depending on your stance on the brand of music Nirvana were peddling. I don’t really know anyone who classes this song as the best one by Nirvana – a case of diminishing returns due to overplay, I’m sure – but it is an absolute barnstormer of a song. Taking the quiet/loud dynamic shift of some of the other bands who have already been on the list, but absolutely nailing the pop sensibilities, created everything that still make Nirvana a worthwhile listen today.

‘Summertime’, DJ Jazzy Jeff and The Fresh Prince

Influenced by: Summer Madness • Kool & The Gang (1975)

Influence on: Summertime • Kenny Chesney (2005)  

Covered by: The Wipeouts (2007)   

Other key tracks: Parents Just Don’t Understand (1988) • You Saw My Blinker (1991)

It is funny to see the different ways in which rap was beginning to branch off at the turn of the decade. Jazzy Jeff and The Fresh Prince were very much not a part of the gangster rap style that was peddled by NWA, yet their radio and public-at-large friendly take on the genre has made them and this a staple of many a music compilation. It lacks a bit of depth for me really, but that isn’t what it is trying to do. It offers an alternative from that which was out there at the time.

‘Give It Away’, Red Hot Chilli Peppers (1991)

Influenced by: Loopzilla • George Clinton (1982)   Influence on: What I Got • M.I.A. (2008)

Covered by: Bjørn Berge (2002)   

Other key tracks: Under the Bridge (1991) • Soul to Squeeze (1991) • Suck My Kiss (1991) • Californication (1999) • By the Way (2002) • Snow (Hey Oh) (2006)

There is an argument to be hard that the Red Hot Chilli Peppers had one good album. That isn’t to say I haven’t enjoyed other work down by them, but the first four albums were pretty naff funk, before the albums after this moved towards the poppier side of things and offered diminishing returns on that style. bloodsugarsexmagik was ultimately the album were they managed to take their ideas about funk, rock and pop and create a legitimate banger. Give It Away is one of the best songs on the album and is probably the best representation of what RHCP could offer when everything was firing on all cylinders.

‘One’, U2 (1991)

Influenced by: The Cross • Prince (1987)   

Influence on: Yellow • Coldplay (2000)   

Covered by: Information Society (1999) • Johnny Cash (2000) • Warren Haynes (2004) • Joe Cocker (2004) • Cowboy Junkies (2005) • Professional Murder Music (2005) • Keziah Jones (2008)

I’ve already spent time talking about U2 and how I think they are unfairly judged at times. However, I’m really not as big a fan of this song as some people are. It almost feels like an ‘Imagine’-style song – one that gets on the list because of what could be considered as controversial or challenging lyrical ideas placed in what were otherwise pop songs. I mean, I probably prefer this to ‘Imagine’, but the band has many other songs that are just better. Simple really.

Edited by Liam

17 hours ago, ohtani's jacket said:

@LiamThere is a problem with 744-750.

Cheers for pointing out. Will fix tomorrow. My browser often makes posting in here quite temperamental so I must have given up and forgot to try again later.

‘Losing My Religion’, R.E.M. (1991)

Influenced by: Every Breath You Take • The Police (1983)   

Influence on: We Both Go Down Together • The Decemberists (2005)   

Covered by: Tori Amos (1995) • Rozalla (1995) • Swan Dive (1997) • Scary Kids Scaring Kids (2006)

There are certain songs where, even though you would probably argue that the band has songs that you enjoy more, it is clear that it is their best song. ‘Everybody Hurts’ could make the claim for R.E.M., though I think it is hard to argue against ‘Losing My Religion’. Driven by a mandolin of all instruments, this was the song that sent the band into the stratosphere. Apparently this was played by Peter Buck at his home one evening, but it was only when he listened back to his recordings the next day that he realised what he had. A song that makes you want to sing along from start to finish.

‘Life Is A Highway’, Tom Cochrane (1991)

Sometimes songs are just fun. ‘Life Is A Highway’ is that. Catchy, big and dumb, it is a road song that gets lodged in your head. I don’t really have much else to say. Enjoy it.

Always On The Run’, Lenny Kravitz (1991)

I know he isn’t one, but I’ve always largely forgotten about everything else Lenny Kravitz to the point where he is almost a one hit wonder to me (‘Fly Away’ getting that honour). I’m not entirely sure why Kravitz hasn’t ever clicked with me beyond that. The component parts are there: wailing guitar, strong vocals, some soul, but I’m often left fairly nonplussed. To give the song its due, this is pretty good and is a proper strutting rock song. Slash was the guitarist and came up with the riffs; multitalented Kravitz did everything else pretty much.

‘Treaty’, Yothu Yindi (1991)

Influenced by: Black Boy • Coloured Stone (1984)   

Influence on: Celebrate • Christine Anu (2000)   

Other key tracks: Djäpana (Sunset Dreaming) (1991) • Yolngu Boy (1991) • My Kind of Life (1991) • It’s Okay (One Blood) (2006)

It’s another Australian offering, so I can immediately suggest that its inclusion could be up for debate. To give this one credit, it deserves recognition for its stated aims as much as anything else: raising awareness of the Aboriginal plight and a call to recognise their land rights. Mixing classic Aboriginal instruments and lyrics in Gumatj, this was a success both locally and internationally. It will never really be my cup of tea, but there is a rousing atmosphere that it creates – coupled with the reason for its production – that I can get behind.

‘Unfinished Sympathy’, Massive Attack (1991)

Influenced by: Back to Life (However Do You Want Me) • Soul II Soul (1989)   

Influence on: Play Dead • Björk (1993)  

Covered by: Tina Turner (1996)  

Other key tracks: Daydreaming (1991) • Safe from Harm (1991) • One Love (1991) • Protection (1995)

This is probably my favourite song that I forget exists. This is perhaps damning with faint praise, but Massive Attack aren’t really in keeping with a lot of my musical tastes. However, this song (alongside ‘Teardrop’) is a certifiable banger. Symphonic with the yearning vocals of Shara Nelson, so much is going on but with such effortless and subtle touches. Samples, scratching, strings: everything lays a great foundation for Nelson to emote over. Just a joy to listen to every couple of years when I remember it exists.

Edited by Liam

‘Justified and Ancient’, The KLF featuring Tammy Wynette (1991)

This is a bit bloody mental. I don’t really know the full story behind The KLF, but know that they were a bit out there and that’s putting it mildly. However, getting Tammy Wynette to collaborate on this house-y hip-hop-y track is pretty impressive no matter which way you slice it. It also really works in my opinion; the strength of Wynette’s vocals working well alongside a lively backing tune. I wasn’t entirely sure what to expect but I was pleasantly surprised.

‘Enter Sandman’, Metallica (1991)

Can you really cover ‘Enter Sandman’ on a wrestling message board without thinking somewhat positively about the song? Naturally, it is hard to disassociate from many a wild entry into the ECW Arena, but it is a really good song in and of itself. Though ‘The Black Album’ had seen Metallica move away a bit from the all-out aural assault of some previous albums, this showed that they could still rock when they chose to. A loud headbanger to shout along to and enjoy.

‘Weather With You’, Crowded House (1991)

Influenced by: I’m Only Sleeping • The Beatles (1966)   

Influence on: Girl Inform Me • The Shins (2001)   

Covered by: Voice Male (1999) • Clouseau (2000) • Aswad (2002) • Andrea Zonn (2003) • Ian McCulloch (2003) • Jimmy Buffett (2006)

I unashamedly love this song. Crowded House were one of my Dad’s favourite bands and the Finns were great songwriters that knew how to throw together engaging lyrics, adult themes and pop sensibilities into something really good. I’m not sure if I can sell Crowded House as one of the best and brightest or most skilful bands of all time, but there are few artists that I enjoy listened to as much as I do Crowded House. ‘Weather With You’ is probably the best they had to offer, though they do have a whole raft of other worthwhile singles.

‘You Got The Love’, The Source featuring Candi Staton (1991)

Influenced by: Move On Up a Little Higher • Mahalia Jackson (1948)   

Influence on: I Know • New Atlantic (1991)

Covered by: Florence & The Machine (2008)   

Other key tracks: He Called Me Baby (1970) • Young Hearts Run Free (1976) • Suspicious Minds (1982)

CHOON!

‘Blind Willie Mctell’, Bob Dylan (1991)

First written in 1983, this finally saw a release on a compilation of rarities and unreleased songs in 1991. Blind Willie Mctell was a musician that Dylan had drawn a lot of influence from and you can hear his reverence throughout the song. Spare in its instrumentation, it amplifies Dylan’s poetic lyrics in a song that I felt I wasn’t going to care too much for, yet I couldn’t help but enjoy.

‘Move Any Mountain – Progen 91’, The Shamen (1991)

We’re beginning to move even further into the dance, techno, house-era of things. It isn’t really for me if I’m being honest, but I can always see the allure and have enjoyed a number of songs from those realms. This doesn’t do much for me, though I guess it was one that probably was an eye-opener when it was first released and has been somewhat usurped by what followed. One of more interesting bits of the book mentioned how this song made inroads in the US market, though tragically the bassist drowned when on the trip that saw them record the video for the song (I’ll be honest – I’m not sure if it this video).

‘How I Could Just Kill A Man’, Cypress Hill (1991)

I’m not a huge Cypress Hill fan, yet as a rock and metal listener, I’ve often been able to enjoy a tune or two from the group. It was rap that was engaging for alternative music fans as well, without really compromising too much of what made it a good rap song. They were probably an act who were more revolutionary than I have ever given them credit for and this was their debut, so it makes sense to throw them on the list.

‘Cop Killer’, Body Count (1992)

I’ve never heard a single song by Body Count for some reason. It has just never crossed my path and I’ve never sought it out. However, this is an interesting choice from a social perspective as it caused significant controversy after riots in the US turned the spotlight towards censorship and the arts. The song isn’t really great in my opinion, but in terms of a statement of protest/call to violence, it is important. I can also imagine a mosh-pit/live crowd with this song and a few hundred like-minded people could be something pretty crazy.

‘Pretend We’re Dead’, L7 (1992)

Influenced by: Wooly Bully • Sam the Sham & The Pharoahs (1965)   

Influence on: I Wanna Be Your Lush • Fluffy (1996)  

Covered by: CSS (2007)   

Other key tracks: Shove (1990) • Everglade (1992) • Mr. Integrity (1992) • Andres (1994)

To what extent it is true is up for debate, but the book seems to credit the success of Nirvana with opening the door for acts like L7 to enter the mainstream. To be fair, that might undervalue a song that hits all the right notes when it comes to being an anthem for apathy. The story of the lead singer throwing her tampon into the crowd at Reading Festival was something I vaguely remembered, but never attached to the band who wrote this song and the song which I enjoyed on Rock Band 2.

‘My Drug Buddy’, The Lemonheads (1992)

Influenced by: Sin City • The Flying Burrito Brothers (1969)   

Influence on: Sorted For E’s & Wizz • Pulp (1995)   

Covered by: Juliana Hatfield and Evan Dando (1994) • Anthony Green (2005)

Who doesn’t want to enjoy an acoustic ode to a drug friend? I’ve not heard much by the Lemonheads or Evan Dando himself, yet I have always felt that I would enjoy them if I gave them more time. It really does play into a brand of music that I’ve enjoyed more as I’ve got older. Apparently, Dando was very openly into drugs and was perhaps naively willing to sing about that in this song. I like the dark topic mixed with the very light and airy instrumentation, though it doesn’t rise quite above just being good for me.

The only things that will keep this from being a great list as opposed to being merely a very, very good one is the absence of Hasil Adkins and Bob Log III. Hell, I could make a case for Out to Hunch being a top-100 of AT. If you can't fill at least three albums with songs about poultry your soul is dead. The Haze did all those EXTRA songs about poultry so his colleagues could share the wealth.

On 11/12/2020 at 10:17 AM, Liam said:

‘My Drug Buddy’, The Lemonheads (1992)

Influenced by: Sin City • The Flying Burrito Brothers (1969)   

Influence on: Sorted For E’s & Wizz • Pulp (1995)   

Covered by: Juliana Hatfield and Evan Dando (1994) • Anthony Green (2005)

Who doesn’t want to enjoy an acoustic ode to a drug friend? I’ve not heard much by the Lemonheads or Evan Dando himself, yet I have always felt that I would enjoy them if I gave them more time. It really does play into a brand of music that I’ve enjoyed more as I’ve got older. Apparently, Dando was very openly into drugs and was perhaps naively willing to sing about that in this song. I like the dark topic mixed with the very light and airy instrumentation, though it doesn’t rise quite above just being good for me.

Learned something new there.  Never knew Sin City was a Burritos song.  I really do need to listen to more Gram Parsons.  For some reason he, and the Burritos for that matter, have always been somebody I've heard more about than actually heard their music.

‘Shake Your Head’, Was (Not Was) (1992)

Influenced by: Kissing with Confidence • Will Powers (1983)   

Influence on: Everybody’s Free (to Wear Sunscreen) • Baz Luhrmann (1999)   

Covered by: C. C. Catch (2003)

Is it just me, or did everything start to get a bit bloody weird in the 90s? This not only has Ozzy Osbourne…I guess rapping…in an unlikely duet with Kim Basinger. My understanding is that the vocals were originally done by Madonna, but with this being a remix and following legal wranglings the first time, she was removed to be replaced by Basinger. I do quite like it, but it is clearly here for novelty it seems to me.

‘Motorcycle Emptiness’, The Manic Street Preachers (1992)

Influenced by: Sweet Child o’ Mine • Guns N’ Roses (1987)   

Influence on: Some Kind of Bliss • Kylie Minogue (1997)   

Covered by: Stealth Sonic Orchestra (1996) • Millennium (2001)

I internally underrate the Manics: there are very few of their songs I don’t at least enjoy, yet I often don’t really think of them when thinking about the bands I like. Admittedly, most of my interest in them as a band is post-Richey Edwards, so this is a novel experience, though the song vaguely rings a bell. Bradfield on vocals is an acquired taste I think, but I’ve always enjoyed his earnest style, whilst the guitar work in the background of this song takes it to that next level for me instead of being a middling indie track. A strong outing from their debut album.

‘Creep’, Radiohead (1992)

Influenced by: The Air That I Breathe • The Hollies (1974)   

Influence on: Jeannie’s Diary • Eels (2000)   

Covered by: The Pretenders (1995) • Sentenced (1998) • Scarling (2003) • Sophie Koh (2006) • Korn (2007) • Anberlin (2007) • Amanda Palmer (2009)

It must be difficult if you are a band who go on to be a creative whirlwind in your later years, yet you are mainly known for one song that isn’t necessarily representative of what you are capable of. Radiohead don’t particularly like ‘Creep’ and they have far surpassed it in the albums that followed in my eyes, but it isn’t hard to see the allure. The outsider lyrics and the soft/loud dynamic make it an easy song to mope or shout along to, depending on what your personal preference (or emotion) was.

‘Killing in the Name’, Rage Against the Machine (1992)

Influenced by: Kick Out the Jams • MC5 (1969)   

Influence on: Cochise • Audioslave (2002)   

Covered by: Biffy Clyro (2008) • FourPlay String Quartet (2009)   

Other key tracks: Bullet in the Head (1992) • Tire Me (1996) • Guerrilla Radio (1999)

I’m not a massive fan of RATM in the way I think I should be, but ‘Killing in the Name’ is an absolute barnstormer of a song. At base, it is a well written and structured song. However, on top of that you throw the angular guitar, throbbing base, and pure anger of the vocals and you have one of the best songs ever in my opinion. I’ve even been known to do a really bad job of this when going to Lucky Voice for a karaoake night or two, joining songs such as ‘Two Princes’ by Spin Doctors and ‘Disco 2000’ by Pulp in my repertoire.

‘Connected’, Stereo MCs (1992)

Influenced by: Let Me Be Your Lover • Jimmy “Bo” Horne (1978)   

Influence on: Here We Go • Stakka Bo (1993)  

Covered by: Tiger Hifi (2009)   

Other key tracks: Elevate My Mind (1990) • Step It Up (1992) • Deep Down & Dirty (2001)

A song I remember well from my childhood, probably due to the ‘ah ah ah ah’ vocal that gets well lodged into your head. I think this is very much of its time, but it was a song that felt catchy and cool in equal measure. The book claims that Stereo MCs were one of the first viable British hip-hop acts and with this being their biggest song, it probably isn’t a surprise to see them pop up on the list.

1990 didn't represent any kind of sea change in music. It was more or less a continuation of the indie stuff that had become around '88 or so, but there was some nice pop music and plenty of good indie stuff. Of course, I was captivated by MC Hammer and Vanilla Ice at the time.

They finally put The Cocteau Twins in the book, which makes sense given Heaven or Los Vegas was one of the biggest albums of the year. Violator was another big record that year, but I guess they already included enough Depeche Mode. I wouldn't have made those picks for Tribe Called Quest or Sonic Youth, but they they're not head scratchers. 

Here are some tracks I liked from 1990:

Spoiler

Some more:

Spoiler

The last batch:

Spoiler

There was some really nice stuff coming out of my home country at this time.

Flipper's Guitar were doing some great stuff in Japan as well:

And who can forget the time Morrisey humped a rock?

As far as hip hop goes, Mama Said Knock You Out would have been a great choice for the book, and definitely something from AmeriKKKas Most Wanted.

Spoiler

Some more:

Spoiler

I guess they didn't include anything from Black Box or C+C Music Factory because of the controversy. I thought they might have included Deee-Lite's Groove is in the Heart, but they seemed to go with more UK-centric dance stuff.

But there's really only two tunes I care about from this year:

Edited by ohtani's jacket
  • Like 1

1990 feels like a fork in the road between thrash and extreme metal. There were some classic albums -- Rust in Peace, Painkiller, Seasons in the Abyss -- and excellent albums from the likes of Artillery, Entombed, Bathory, Morbid Saint, Kreator, Atheist, Obituary, and others. 

The book probably should have recognized Megadeth as one of the big metal acts.

This might be my favorite metal track from 1990. That turtleneck is something else. 

Suicidal Tendencies deserve a mention too: