DVDVR Message Board

Marvel TV - 2020

Casey

2 hours ago, The Natural said:

Deborah Ann Woll’s Karen Page

I just finally got around to watching Punisher season 2 last week. Though expected, it was bittersweet to see Karen Page show up for an episode and know that was truly going to be it. Still have season 3 of Jessica Jones to watch which is a show that I liked almost as much as Daredevil. Damn shame they let these shows go out like this.

• Like 2

On 4/5/2020 at 3:33 AM, Casey said:

WandaVision probably takes the Loki spot in 2021, which in turn gives Falcon & Winter Soldier the December date that WandaVision originally had.

I can’t seem them delaying WandaVision for almost a year just because Multiverse of Madness got pushed to November ‘21, unless things stay the way they are and the world is still (pretty much) closed down.

I’m pretty sure that’s the only confirmed series that’s a “prequel” for an MCU movie, too.

I believe Loki is also a prequel to Dr Strange.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On ‎4‎/‎10‎/‎2020 at 1:14 PM, The Natural said:

220px-Daredevil_season_1_poster.jpg

4ba344005990d68862d9667dbeb5d16855a5c409

On this day five years ago, Marvel’s Daredevil Season 1: A Netflix Original Series was released. At the time I said it was not only the best thing from the Marvel Cinematic Universe, it was the best Marvel live-action ever done. Since then, more things have come out from the MCU but my opinion remains unchanged though Daredevil: Season 3 pushed Daredevil: Season 1 close.

Here’s why I rate Daredevil: Season 1 as I do. *SPOILERS FOLLOW*

The origin story of Matt Murdock/Daredevil and Wilson Fisk/the Kingpin. Matt Murdock is blinded as a child but gains heightened senses. Murdock is a lawyer during the day and fights crime at night as a vigilante, Daredevil. Wilson Fisk sees abuse by his Father at the expense of him and his Mother, becomes a businessman and is a feared criminal whose name you should not say.

The great ensemble cast with no weak links across the board: Matt Murdock/Daredevil played by Charlie Cox, Wilson Fisk/The Kingpin performed by Vincent D’Onofrio, Eiden Henson as Franklin Nelson, Deborah Ann Woll’s Karen Page, Bob Gunton as Leland Owsley, Vondie Curtis Hall who plays Ben Ulrich, Toby Leonard Moore’s James Wesley and Father Paul Lantom played by Peter McRobbie. You can never say never, but you’re not going to find anybody to play Matt Murdock/Daredevil and Wilson Fisk/the Kingpin better than Charlie Cox and Vincent D’Onofrio.

If you take the first two episodes and the best two called Into the Ring (Ep1) and Cut Man (Ep2) showing them as a standalone feature film, the origin would only be behind Batman Begins (2005) as the cream of the crop live action origins. To go with the origin told in those two episodes, Into the Ring ends on a great music montage of things to come and of course, there’s THAT one take hallway fight from Cut Man.

Best moments: Matt Murdock’s speech in confession to his Priest (Into the Ring, Ep1)…The first talk between Murdock and Fisk over walkie-talkie (Condemned, Ep6)…Bill Fisk teaching his son violence which leads to Wilson Fisk telling Vanessa he wears his Dad’s cufflinks to remind him he’s not cruel for the sake of cruelty (Shadows in the Glass, Ep8)…

Wilson Fisk’s about the parable of the Good Samaritan while he’s travelling in police custody (Daredevil, Ep13)…The ending to Daredevil, Ep13 with Wilson Fisk in his jail cell looking at white wall as he was forced to as a child by his Dad…Daredevil in his new red suit standing on a rooftop, hears a scream and jumps down from the building set to more great music by John Paesano.

I do have some criticisms though mainly the number of deaths of key supporting characters: James Wesley, Ben Ulrich and Leland Owsley. All three were missed in Daredevil: Season 2 and Season 3. I’ve gotten used to the first red suit, I like it but it could have been something more. Least it was improved by a new cowl and baggier pants in the second half of Daredevil: Season 2 and the Defenders crossover.

Thanks for reading!

I think the biggest crime of the Netflix shows going by the way side is the loss of Daredevil, specifically D'Onofrio and Cox. They were both so, so good and it sucks that two such amazing portrayals aren't going to interact with all the other characters established in the MCU. I can understand that you can't bring everyone back, but if there is a way to work those two into a future project, PLEASE make it happen, Mr. Mouse

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Phil4126 said:

I think the biggest crime of the Netflix shows going by the way side is the loss of Daredevil, specifically D'Onofrio and Cox. They were both so, so good and it sucks that two such amazing portrayals aren't going to interact with all the other characters established in the MCU. I can understand that you can't bring everyone back, but if there is a way to work those two into a future project, PLEASE make it happen, Mr. Mouse

I would sign that petition but those don't seem to do much good.

• Like 1

Speaking of Daredevil...

During a recent interview with Marvel EVP Joe Quesada, Daredevil and The Punisher star Deborah Ann Woll admitted that she's struggling to find work after starring in the axed TV shows. 

She appeared in three seasons of the Man Without Fear's series, and went on to appear in both of The Punisher's as well. The actress also showed up in The Defenders, and given the strength of her work as Karen Page, you wouldn't think landing a new acting gig would be all that hard. 

"I'm just really wondering whether I'll get to work again, whether anyone wants to work with me again, and whether I still have it, all of those scary things," Woll said in regards to where her career is today. "Part of my brain goes, ‘No, you’re just being crazy, calm down.’"

"But the part of me that loves [acting] and the problem with being an artist and an actor, and any of these professions where you put a piece of your soul into your work, is that it becomes a part of your identity...If I’m not acting, I’m not sure who I am. And since it’s been so long since I’ve really gotten to do it, I’m struggling a little bit with how to maintain my self-worth, my sense of my own value."

Sad stuff. Self-doubt sucks. Character at times annoyed me but not Woll herself. Can see her as Mera or Poison Ivy.

Edited by The Natural

I got into Daredevil late. I admit I haven't finished all 3 season but I do love the show.  I've always loved the comics and feel that the tv is more Brubaker era Daredevil than anything (which I really enjoy)  It really upsets me to this day that all the Marvel shows on Netflix were abruptly cancelled. Always held out hope that an HBO or Starz would have picked them up, especially after the huge online campaign to save the shows.  Sadly it still hasn't happened. 

• Like 2

Weird for Woll considering she showed up in Punisher and Defenders and that Escape Room movie was successful. Figure she’d be in higher demand. Then again everything is at a standstill right now. 

EDIT:

People on social media are saying the Daredevil rights at Netflix have expired and they are going back to Marvel, meaning Cox will return as the character. I'm not so sure.

If MCU kept anyone on from Netflix, I'd want Cox and D'Onofrio at the very least. However, I just don't see it happening. Feige literally had nothing to do with those shows. He had no say in the casting. Cox was a Loeb/Quesada choice. Loeb is gone, and Quesada has no more power over the film/TV side. Much like with Spider-Man/Peter Parker, Feige I think will want to leave his own stamp on the characters and bring in new guys.

I never got the sense from Feige that he had any love or interest for the Netflix shows at all.

Edited by TheVileOne
  • Like 1

See the source image

See the source image

Agent Carter: Season 1 also turned five years old in January 2020. Meant to make this post then. I was surprised it took till July 2015 for somebody to pick it up in the UK with the popularity of Marvel Studios Marvel Cinematic Universe. Agent Carter Season 1 was great for the story told, the banter between Agent Peggy Carter/Edwin Jarvis especially, the period setting, Johann Fennoff. Nice touch using The Star Spangled Man With A Plan through the Captain America radio serialization, such a memorable song. Felt the shorter season, only eight episodes was another plus point. I think other shows can learn from that.  I like making lists and if I had to rank this season to other MCU shows, Daredevil Season 1, Daredevil Season 3 and Agent Carter Season 1 in that order. Shame the second season was a step down to its predecessor. Same happened to Daredevil.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 2

• 2 months later...

Daredevil-S1.png?resize=740,451&type=ver

daredevil-season1-review-01.jpg

Continue Charlie Cox's Matt Murdock/Daredevil and Vincent D'Onofrio's Wilson Fisk/the Kingpin. Both are perfect in the parts. You won't top them. I do get consolation that Daredevil Season 3 was a return to form and a great sendoff. Shame it was cancelled and we won't be getting Daredevil Season 3 Funko POPs like the previous two seasons. Daredevil Season One and Daredevil Season Three are the best live action Marvel's ever done period.

I feel like this was posted somewhere else and I am just missing it but

The Falcon and the Winter Soldier has been delayed (not really surprising)

It was supposed to debut next month.

Release is now TBD (or basically whenever they can finish filming it)

14 hours ago, RIPPA said:

I feel like this was posted somewhere else and I am just missing it but

The Falcon and the Winter Soldier has been delayed (not really surprising)

It was supposed to debut next month.

Release is now TBD (or basically whenever they can finish filming it)

Basically they had 2 weeks of shooting left when they stopped in March, so it'll be whenever they can work that out. No word yet if this also means the Wanda & Vision and Loki shows will be moved, or if the Phase 4 movies release dates will be affected.

On 7/18/2020 at 8:12 AM, JLSigman said:

Basically they had 2 weeks of shooting left when they stopped in March, so it'll be whenever they can work that out. No word yet if this also means the Wanda & Vision and Loki shows will be moved, or if the Phase 4 movies release dates will be affected.

Based on a new Deadline story - WandaVision is still on track for its release later this year as it had finished main production before all the shutdowns had happened. Apparently they just need to do a few reshoots.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

https://www.radiotimes.com/news/tv/2020-07-20/agents-of-shield-season-7-e4/

No Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. Season 7 on E4. E4 has shown the show in the UK since S1. Watched the show when it premiered and every season since.

My reaction...

FFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCCCCCCCCCCCCCKKKKKKKKKKKKK!!!!!!!!

Edited by The Natural
  • Sad 2

5 minutes ago, The Natural said:

https://www.radiotimes.com/news/tv/2020-07-20/agents-of-shield-season-7-e4/

No Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. Season 7 on E4. E4 has shown the show in the UK since S1. Watched the show when it premiered and every season since.

My reaction...

FFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCCCCCCCCCCCCCKKKKKKKKKKKKK!!!!!!!!

Hopefully Disney+ in the UK picks Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. Season 7 up. The Paramount Channel aired Agent Carter S1 and S2.

Edited by The Natural

• 4 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Eivion said:

Finally saw the finale to Shield. thought it was a nice little ending overall.

Good stuff. How was the final season? Hope to still see it either by Disney + or on DVD. Bullshit E4 won't show it despite airing the show from the start.

Edited by The Natural

1 minute ago, The Natural said:

Good stuff. How was the final season? Hope to still see it either by Disney + or on DVD. Bullshit E4 won't show it despite airing the show from the start.

Generally solid. Knowing how time in the MCU works they pretty much go for broke fucking around with things after a while. They had fun with the different times hit and tried to do some nice callbacks to history in the show and with SHIELD in general.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Eivion said:

Generally solid. Knowing how time in the MCU works they pretty much go for broke fucking around with things after a while. They had fun with the different times hit and tried to do some nice callbacks to history in the show and with SHIELD in general.

Cheers, @Eivion.

• 4 weeks later...

WandaVision has been confirmed for 2020

Though it still has no official date just that it appears to be after Nov 12 - as it was mentioned as one of the titles that will help celebrate the start of Disney+ 2nd year

• Like 1