DVDVR Message Board

DC TV - 2020

J.T.

Not really news, per se, but DC Universe laid off almost all of it's staff yesterday.

Forbes' article said the original shows are expected to continue, but will find a new home, presumably HBO Max.  

Not at all surprising.  Stargirl was already announced as jumping to the CW.  Harley Quinn and Doom Patrol were co-streamed on Max.   Titans and the new season of Young Justice was already rumored to be heading that way.

On another note, is Titans worth watching?  I never subscribed to DC Universe, so I've never seen it.  Thought I saw it on Netflix the other day and thought I might dive into it.  

Man that Stargirl finale was great, and overall it was a damn good first season. I hope the second season keeps what worked so well, like the pacing and reserved nature.

RE: DC Universe, I knew the original shows would live on, but I'm hoping the library of the classic animated shows like Batman:TAS and Justice League end up on HBO Max.

• Like 1

Doom Patrol's S2 finale was good, but also very much a cliffhanger. I assume its another season that the COVID pandemic cut short. Even the episode number was noticeable shorter at 9 when the first season was 15. 

Finally caught the Stargirl finale. I loved every minute of it. Really hope Pat' comments about they always find a story is referring to Bones & the DEO. Was so happy to see the Shade. I don't care if he never does anything. Its just neat to see him. I concur with @RandomAct about hoping they keep the same story telling style. While I like the Berlatni DC shows its nice to see something that is a bit more calm and slower in building its story.

Finally watching Harley Quinn since it's available on HBO Max and I was looking for something to watch.

It really is pitch perfect for an adult TV-MA audience.  As I just finished Season 1, I really can't wait to see what happens for S2. 

https://bleedingcool.com/tv/dc-universe-rip-original-content-moving-to-hbo-max-jim-lee-confirms/

As many have speculated for some time and Bleeding Cool's been covering since news broke that Swamp Thing would be ending after only one well-received season, all of the original content on DC Universe will make the move over to WarnerMedia's new streaming service, HBO Max (which already shared Doom Patrol with the streaming service). "The original content that is on DCU is migrating to HBO Max. Truthfully, that's the best platform for that content. The amount of content you get, not just DC , but generally from WarnerMedia, is huge and it's the best value proposition if I'm allowed to use that marketing term. We feel that is the place for that." This means Titans and Young Justice would also be making the move, with Stargirl possibly splitting homes between the streaming service and The CW.

• Like 1

I enjoyed the ending to Stargirl. But it seemed off.

They built up this massive unstoppable group of big bads who ran through the original far more experienced and powerful group, and it seemed like there needed to be a big face turn or someone show up to even come close to even the odds.

Nope, the group of school kids who had their powers a couple of weeks just trashed them in record time.

Does the CW still have the deal with Netflix? I mean, I assume as soon as that's expired everything Warner owned will head to HBO Max, but if Stargirl is now an actual CW show, I would think it would be covered under that deal.

On 8/15/2020 at 12:45 AM, RolandTHTG said:

I enjoyed the ending to Stargirl. But it seemed off.

They built up this massive unstoppable group of big bads who ran through the original far more experienced and powerful group, and it seemed like there needed to be a big face turn or someone show up to even come close to even the odds.

Nope, the group of school kids who had their powers a couple of weeks just trashed them in record time.

JSA and ISA clashed multiple times. Seemed obvious ISA won the last time because they got the drop on the JSA when they attacked their headquarters. No element of surprise this time with their focus being somewhat split. I mean one of the most powerful members was iced by his own daughter while another wasn't released until after they started to lose.

7 hours ago, RolandTHTG said:

3 eps earlier, Brainwave fucked them all up single-handedly.

And what was he doing during most of the fight, handling the device they were using to control half of the US. I assume he was a bit weak from doing that as well when he finally did go into action.

Totally looking forward to the Shade in S2, especially since it's not 100% cut and dry that he shows up as an outright villain if James Robinson has a hand in the scripts. Grundy's exit has me feeling the same way... I wouldn't be the slightest bit surprised if he wants to be friends with Rick going forward.

• 5 weeks later...
21 hours ago, D.Z said:

Might be Bat Affleck tv show on HBO max.

Anyway The CW trinity eventually will be Superman, Flash, Batwoman. 

While Legends keeps plugging along quietly being the best one. 
Oh, I read that Flash is going to have Ralph Dibney in the first couple of eps to wrap up the Sue plot. He's being recast.