DVDVR Message Board

DC TV - 2020

J.T.

I honestly think they went with a new character so they wouldn't be handtied in trying to recast Kate Kane  This way, they can cast whoever they wanted, instead of trying to jump through hoops explaining why Kate is a person of color now.

Just to provide more context's to dogwelder's post

Leslie has signed on to portray Ryan Wilder, the first Black actress to play Batwoman in a live-action TV or film production, who is described as “likable, messy, a little goofy and untamed” and that she is “nothing like Kate Kane, the woman who wore the Batsuit before her.” The rest of the description reads as follows:

With no one in her life to keep her on track, Ryan spent years as a drug-runner, dodging the GCPD and masking her pain with bad habits. Today Ryan lives in her van with her plant. A girl who would steal milk for an alley cat and could also kill you with her bare hands, Ryan is the most dangerous type of fighter: highly skilled and wildly undisciplined. An out lesbian. Athletic. Raw. Passionate. Fallible. And very much not your stereotypical All-American hero.

“I am extremely proud to be the first Black actress to play the iconic role of Batwoman on television, and as a bisexual woman, I am honored to join this groundbreaking show which has been such a trailblazer for the LGBTQ+ community,” Leslie said in a statement.

Gotham Central TV series is coming to HBO Max, developed by Matt Reeves and Terence Winter (who is also going to be writing the show and an EP). It's set within the same universe as Reeves' The Batman - it's described as a "spin-off series".

Kate Kane isn't even the most important character in the show.  Batman's clothes rank higher than her.

Why do you need Kryptonite to kill her since she's gotten clunked upside the head and knocked out and captured several times?  Just hit her in the head some more.  Or shoot her in the mouth.  Or drown her.  Or throw her off a great height.

They should have Alice kill her off and take over her bar and turn it into a diner and when bootleg Tommy Lee Jones comes to arrest her, she tells him to kiss her grits.

These TV people got some real temerity to keep pitching Batman shows that don't have Batman doing Batman stuff.

• Like 1

Thought Stargirl had another solid episode this week. The focus on Brainwave Jr. was nice enough along with seeing how his father came by his powers. I am curious when Courtney is finally going to learn to stop jumping ahead with shit and listen to the people around her. I mean while they do need more power I'm not sure how she felt she was going to convince the kid of a person she put in a coma to join her cause.

On 7/16/2020 at 4:06 PM, Eivion said:

Thought Stargirl had another solid episode this week. The focus on Brainwave Jr. was nice enough along with seeing how his father came by his powers. I am curious when Courtney is finally going to learn to stop jumping ahead with shit and listen to the people around her. I mean while they do need more power I'm not sure how she felt she was going to convince the kid of a person she put in a coma to join her cause.

It would be a nice twist for a hero to NOT be able to convince bad people to turn good, or do the right thing.  We see the "inspirational speech" all the time, and it would be kinda neat for Court to try it and come up bupkus every time.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, RandomAct said:

It would be a nice twist for a hero to NOT be able to convince bad people to turn good, or do the right thing.  We see the "inspirational speech" all the time, and it would be kinda neat for Court to try it and come up bupkus every time.

I don't know if I want to see her fail every time, but I would at least like to see her fail miserably here since she really shouldn't be the person able to talk Jr. into turning anyways. That feels like something that should involve Yolanda if it happens.

I hadn’t been watching that much TV over the past few months, but I’ve finally caught up with this season’s Flash, Legends, and Supergirl. Flash was pretty solid, and I thought they did a good job tying things up as much as they could. Legends is a show that I always think is a little weak through the middle of the season, but they always seem to pay things off well at the end. I’ve still got the finale of Supergirl left to watch tonight, but I think it may have been my favorite this season. Brainiac “secretly” aligned with Lex feels a little forced/cliched, but at least the Superfriends are pretty much aware he can’t be trusted.

Stargirl will probably get the Batwoman treatment, and keep the whole season on the CW app for a while. I've been watching the DCU version, though I"m not sure there is any difference at this point, since they are clocking in at 41 minutes.

They continue to do a great job of making the big scenes matter more, simply by not doing them often. Thought they did a good job in nailing the emotional beats with Harry Jr. I didn't like Barb being ready to go full divorce after one(granted, big) misunderstanding.

• Like 1

I don't think Barb was necessarily planning to really go through with it, but she was quite hurt by what she saw as a massive betrayal by Pat. In her mind she just saw her husband reveal a secret past that he used to manipulate her daughter into doing seriously dangerous shit that nearly got her killed. If Barb hadn't considered divorce I don't think it would have been all that believable. She also didn't know the vast majority of the situation was kind of Courtney's fault. I actually thought they handled that well.

Loved everything they did with Brainwave Jr. save for maybe the ending which was strong, just not where I was hoping they were going.

I kinda get the feeling that they dig Junior out of the rubble and go full heel with him later.  You are right about the Barb situation, tbh.  I am hoping that Court eventually tells her mom that it was all her idea and that Pat genuinely tried to stop her, but that may not happen.

• Like 1

Thought Stargirl was good tonight. It was good seeing the Courtney's delusion finally break and her accept the reality of who she is and the trouble she has kind of gotten everyone into. It was also good to see her fully connect with Pat. With everything heating up in the background I'm looking forward to these last episodes of the season.

I loved this week's episode, and I though the reveal of Court's dad just being some dickhead was well done. I'm starting to wonder if there is a heel turn coming for Mike though. Kid keeps getting shuffled to the background, and Pat is connecting with Court more and more(which she kinda needs right now tbh), and he is clearing resenting it.

Love this show for digging up obscure characters like SHINING KNIGHT.

• Like 1

Is Shining Knight particularly obscure? I mean maybe this version is, but in general the character got some push during Morrison's Seven Soldiers & the New 52's Demon Knights. This particular version also has connection to the original Stargirl and STRIPE series.

32 minutes ago, Eivion said:

Is Shining Knight particularly obscure? I mean maybe this version is, but in general the character got some push during Morrison's Seven Soldiers & the New 52's Demon Knights. This particular version also has connection to the original Stargirl and STRIPE series.

He was also in a couple episodes of the JL cartoon, including one with Courtney and stripe and the Other SSOV. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...