DVDVR Message Board

DC TV - 2020

J.T.

I though Ruby did a pretty good job as Batwoman.  Not sure what happened but I'm sad to see she won't be back.  And the show itself has been really enjoyable so I'm hoping whoever is recast does just as well if not better.

WB, CW, etc... released a statement promising that LGBTQ actress will be cast in the role

The only thing speculated so far is that it does not have anything to do with the injury she suffered filming season 1

I watched the DCU version of Stargirl and it clocked in at 53 minutes. Not sure what they had that CW didn't though. I actually dug it a lot though. Had a few of the unnatural exposition moments that you typically get from superhero show pilots, but I overall like the tone. Brec Bassinger is a solid casting choice for the lead, and I like that it has a bit more of a mature tone than other Berlanti shows, while still being pretty fun.  Looks to have a pretty big budget too. I'll keep it in the rotation.

• Like 1

https://variety.com/2020/tv/news/batwoman-ruby-rose-exit-1234612077/

"According to multiple sources, Rose was unhappy with the long hours required of her as the series lead, which led to friction on the set. It was thus decided by her and the network and studio, Warner Bros. Television, that they would part ways."

Edited by Southside Jim
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, RandomAct said:

I watched the DCU version of Stargirl and it clocked in at 53 minutes. Not sure what they had that CW didn't though. I actually dug it a lot though. Had a few of the unnatural exposition moments that you typically get from superhero show pilots, but I overall like the tone. Brec Bassinger is a solid casting choice for the lead, and I like that it has a bit more of a mature tone than other Berlanti shows, while still being pretty fun.  Looks to have a pretty big budget too. I'll keep it in the rotation.

Nice. I dug the tone as well. Not surprised its a bit different from the norm since its clear it was originally shot for DCU. 53 minute I think puts it a good 5-8 minutes ahead of the CW broadcast. Really might just re-up my sub just to see the full version.

I enjoyed Stargirl again this week, and the show felt tighter this week than the pilot did. Honestly, it feels like it's going to be a fun little show in the long run. My only real gripe is that Luke Wilson's character is a total pushover, but maybe they wanted to avoid making him the standard mentor character.  Would also like to have seen Courtney go through a few more growing pains with learning how to use the staff and everything. She seemed like a seasoned pro already.

• Like 1

We had some hope we might be able to watch Stargirl with the almost 8 year old because Johns hammered the "family friendly" phrasing in interviews, but between language and slut talk, that wasn't a thing. Ah well.

22 hours ago, RandomAct said:

I enjoyed Stargirl again this week, and the show felt tighter this week than the pilot did. Honestly, it feels like it's going to be a fun little show in the long run. My only real gripe is that Luke Wilson's character is a total pushover, but maybe they wanted to avoid making him the standard mentor character.  Would also like to have seen Courtney go through a few more growing pains with learning how to use the staff and everything. She seemed like a seasoned pro already.

She doesn't seem like a pro to me quite yet though she is learning maybe a pinch faster than she should. Still I'm digging it and I like what they are setting up. Dug Icicle's appearance at the end.

22 hours ago, Matt D said:

We had some hope we might be able to watch Stargirl with the almost 8 year old because Johns hammered the "family friendly" phrasing in interviews, but between language and slut talk, that wasn't a thing. Ah well.

Even being on CW it was still developed for DCU originally so some content not for kids was always going to be there no matter how family friendly Johns wanted it.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Eivion said:

She doesn't seem like a pro to me quite yet though she is learning maybe a pinch faster than she should. Still I'm digging it and I like what they are setting up. Dug Icicle's appearance at the end.

Even being on CW it was still developed for DCU originally so some content not for kids was always going to be there no matter how family friendly Johns wanted it.

I haven't watched Young Justice with any of the kids. Where does that fall?

6 minutes ago, Matt D said:

I haven't watched Young Justice with any of the kids. Where does that fall?

Don't recall it getting too bad language or violence wise. The worst of it probably comes from the Halo character who is kind of immortal so she "dies" multiple times.

Edited by Eivion

30 minutes ago, RolandTHTG said:

Where/when is Stargirl set exactly? I'm a bit confused by it.

Modern-day Nebraska.

We're both enjoying it so far... you know Johns is going to do good by her, and I'm looking forward to the spittle-spewing NERDRAGE as the legacy characters come into play. Also loving on the music coordinator- nothing wrong with a show that sprinkles everything from the Killers to Barry Mann into the mix.

Spoiler

I was dreading an overclocked Brainwave slowly toying with Stargirl over a long, drawn-out story arc, so him getting one-shotted was a very pleasant surprise.

• Like 1

On 5/27/2020 at 9:18 PM, Matt D said:

Legends was great this week. @Johnny Sorrow agrees with me.

I loved it. LoT is my favorite show on TV, period. I've just started a podcast where my co-host Travis, who's watching the show for the first time and I talk about each episode. We're in the middle of season one, which is an entertaining train wreck, much like our podcast is as we get used to recording with each other and deal with recording tech issues during the first episode. It's called Gideon Guys, because the concept is the same as Gilmore Guys and I'm not above ripping off my favorite podcaster, Kevin T. Porter. 

And I guess what is family friendly and what isn't is based on the age of the kids watching and parental choice. Cause Stargirl is so wholesome and obviously a show for kids it feels like the best CCM TV show ever. If they started talking about Jesus it'd fit right in. And I love it. I'm a HUGE JSA nerd, therefore I'm all in and I'm loving it. Brain Wave was expertly cast, and they're setting up Brainwave Jr.  Oh and when Pat was talking about the JSA members who were killed he specifically mentioned Hawkman and Johnny Thunder. That tells me that we are going to see Jakeem Thunder. Why else bring up the most obscure JSA member, and my favorite Golden Age character? And Hawkman can be resurrected, so maybe they're gonna take another swing at the Hawks, who haven't been done well yet ever in live action. As we talk about on Gideon Guys. Oh yeah. 

Posters so far highlight

Spoiler

Wildcat, Dr. Mid-Nite, & Hourman

as the people keep up the legacy. I'm curious if that is all we get for this season or if they try to keep up with the amount they set up from past JSA members in the show. I agree that it would be nice to see the Hawks done well. Would also liked to see Sand, Atom Smasher, & Fate.

CW says it will not recast the Kate Kane character as originally planned

Instead they will cast an entirely new character who will become Batwoman

Decider apparently discovered The CW’s new plans when a now-deleted casting notice for the series made the rounds on Reddit. The notice specifies that the new character’s name is Ryan Wilder, although it’s not clear if this name will stick or if it’s only a placeholder until the writers come up with something better. Ryan is described as “female, mid-late 20s, any ethnicity,” and, more importantly, “is about to become Batwoman.” The listing continues, “She’s likable, messy, a little goofy and untamed. She’s also nothing like Kate Kane, the woman who wore the batsuit before her.”

And folks are now concerned that since it will be a new character it means that CW will no longer cast a LGBTQ actress as originally promised

• Sad 1

Inventing a new character to put under the hood seems wrong.  I like the Kate Kane character quite a bit.

On the other hand, it does them an excuse to drop Kate's family and the love interest from the show.  I thought they were more of a problem than Ruby Rose (or anything else).

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Eivion said:

And that officially kills any interest I had in Batwoman.

Yeah, I hate that unexpected news and this is coming from someone who likes Kate Kane/Batwoman and comic book stories when the student takes.over the mantle.

Every time those kids open their mouths toward Pat I feel sorry for the poor bastard. He is way too much of a pushover. With Courtney I get it to an extent as she isn't his child, but the boy has some whoopings coming.

Finale to Legends was nice. Going to miss Charlie, but this was a nice exit for her with so much of the season being about her character. I knew we couldn't keep both Zaris, but it was neat while it lasted. Not sure what to think about the ending.