DVDVR Message Board

DC TV - 2020

J.T.

Aired last tonight, was a solid episode. Its obvious they are cutting the season short. Not sure how I feel about that as it still feels like we need at least two more to rap things up properly.

So Batwoman debuted late March in the UK on E4. I like the character through Batwoman: Elegy by Greg Rucka/JH Williams III which I highly recommend and W. Haden Blackman/J.H. Williams III run. Despite that I didn't have the want to watch it, less so now as it's six episodes worth of catch-up. Only live action Batwoman bits I've seen were Elseworlds and Crisis on Infinite Earths crossover.

I've watched some clips of Harley Quinn due to the word of mouth it received, and liking the character. I enjoyed those. Looked to see when Harley Quinn will air in the UK and I timed it well, tonight on E4.

Edited by The Natural

From the limited clips I've seen, it's a close run competition between Michael Rosenbaum's Lex Luthor and Jon Cryer's take for best live action Lex Luthor. Clancy Brown's Lex Luthor is my favourite of them all. Like when I think of Batman, it's Kevin Conroy's iteration. You ask me to think of Superman, Wonder Woman, the Flash, it's the DCAU/Diniverse.

Edited by The Natural

Thought Batwoman was decent enough last night. This version of Hush was ok. I do like that the switch has officially flipped with Alice wanting Kate dead now and not caring who she hurts to get it done. 

Supergirl was good. It was kind of sad to see everything fail for Lena though it also offered a nice sobering moment for her giving up on Lex and understanding her own faults.

Edited by Eivion
  • Like 1

Flash kind of lucked out in finding a decent spot to end the season early on. Still I kind of hope they just run a special to finish this story off instead of continuing it into next season.

I'm kinda surprised it took this long to get a real live action version of Hush. Was hoping for something more Earth shattering to be in the journal, then they dropped the whole kryptonite thing on us, and I'm REALLY intrigued as to how that will involve Supergirl or Superman next season.

Kind of curious why Safiya and Coryana would have interest in the Bat if they aren't going with the comics story with Kate having a connection there. I'd be more excited about kryponite if the next episode wasn't the last for the season and showed no Kara or Clark. Hopefully they keep that thread alive for the next season. Kind of curious how its necessary in the suit's kill switch.

Wow, that Flash was something else. They tried to edit what felt like four episodes into one cohesive cliffhanger and they did their best. But it was glaring about a third of the way through. They actually had scenes where Frost leaves, then later bonds with her Mom at the lab she took her to, then at the end Kaitlyn is consoling Barry as her Mom is taking her to her lab. And there was some big time "  How do we hide that she's pregnant ? " shots as Frost is being written off for awhile to have her child, which she did recently.  
I'm so happy Legends wrapped before the virus hit. It's been wonderfully out there and fun, especially this week's episode.

I'm almost ashamed of myself that the only two things that are annoying me that I lost to the virus are having full seasons of my Super Hero tv shows and Dead and Company cancelling summer tour. I'm a 49 year old teenager. 

Edited by Johnny Sorrow

1 hour ago, Johnny Sorrow said:

They tried to edit what felt like four episodes into one cohesive cliffhanger and they did their best. But it was glaring about a third of the way through. They actually had scenes where Frost leaves, then later bonds with her Mom at the lab she took her to, then at the end Kaitlyn is consoling Barry as her Mom is taking her to her lab.

I'm not sure they did. They were only 90% done with the next episode and one of the people in charge seemed to confirm they will basically start where they left off. 

Also the lab Frost's mom took her to was just the one in Central City to run initial tests. Actual lab they are going to is in the arctic if I recall correctly.

Edited by Eivion

I'm going to tag @Nice Guy Eddie and point out that Legends of Tomorrow this week featured Dionysos.  His current vessel (if you weeeeel) is that of a frat bro in 2020 who hosts chugging competitions.  And going by the name Dion the winner of said challenge drinks from his goblet which makes them a God for a day.  I'm down to giving whatever context but I would highly recommend you check this one out.  Because I freaking loved it and it's the latest example of why I love this show so darn much.

• Thanks 1

Don't have much to add, but I loved the editing and cinematography on Flash this week. That last fight scene was edited in a way that the show is just really not known for, and i thought it worked really well.

Batwoman didn't have a particularly interesting villain for its finale, but with everything else going on in terms of setup and drama where they ended works surprisingly well as a low key finale. 

Supergirl on the other hand, even with whatever edits they made still felt like the penultimate episode opposed to a finale. They seriously need to consider a special to finish this season off proper instead of jumping in next year.

14 minutes ago, Casey said:

I would be shocked if Batwoman continued next year.

What makes you say that?

not trolling.  I don’t watch Batwoman or any of the Berlanti DC shows regularly, so i really don’t know what the ratings are like or what the issues with the show are.  I’ve caught Batwoman maybe 5 or 6 times and it seemed ok-ish.  

In any case, the tweet I saw said the role was going to be recast.

Supposedly Ruby Rose quit but how likely is that?  I’m assuming she has a multi-year contract so being fired seems more likely.

Oddly enough, I thought Ruby did a fair job of growing into the character down the closing stretch, and had good chemistry with most of the cast.  I wonder if the grind of a TV show was a bit too much for her maybe? It seems like it was her decision, based on what I'm seeing.

• Like 3

39 minutes ago, Matt D said:

Make it a Renee Montoya show.

If I was pitching a show, I'd pitch a Question series based on the O'Neil/Cowan series from the late 80's (the zen run), with a bit of the more recent stuff from the comics brought in.  Make Renee Montoya a supporting character and slowly move to the protégé /replacement angle.

I thought Rose did well enough with what they gave her so I have to admit I'm a little disappointed. Hopefully they find a good replacement for her. I just wish they would bring Montoya in. Sophie just does so little for me as a love interest and character in general.

Caught Stargirl's CW premiere. Thought it was generally solid. Anyone catch the DCU version? I know those episodes are supposedly around 10 minutes longer on the average so 'm curious what is getting cut. Honestly has me tempted to re-up my sub though I've generally been waiting for Young Justice S4 and Doom Patrol S2. 

2 hours ago, Eivion said:

Caught Stargirl's CW premiere. Thought it was generally solid. Anyone catch the DCU version? I know those episodes are supposedly around 10 minutes longer on the average so 'm curious what is getting cut. Honestly has me tempted to re-up my sub though I've generally been waiting for Young Justice S4 and Doom Patrol S2. 

I'm gonna give that a look whilst I'm at the laundromat later. Will report back.

• Like 1