DVDVR Message Board

DC TV - 2020

J.T.

Something really seemed off about the Canaries to me, but I couldn't tell you what. It might just be that I'm not invested in the characters on this show. Kat McNamara seems super cool in real life, and loves playing the character, but I'm having a hard time rooting for Mia.  Also, they need to put Deathstroke on ice already. Yes, he was the best villain in the best season of the show's history, but they have gone to the well too often, and Manu Bennett was the key to that character being good the first time.

I did like the music choices, and the action choreography feeling different than what Arrow normally does. They made an honest effort to not just make this feel like the same show with new characters. I have enough trust in Berlanti to give this a shot though.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, RandomAct said:

Something really seemed off about the Canaries to me, but I couldn't tell you what. It might just be that I'm not invested in the characters on this show. Kat McNamara seems super cool in real life, and loves playing the character, but I'm having a hard time rooting for Mia.  Also, they need to put Deathstroke on ice already. Yes, he was the best villain in the best season of the show's history, but they have gone to the well too often, and Manu Bennett was the key to that character being good the first time.

Its the Mia character. There is just something about her that isn't likable. I think I would be more interested if she wasn't the lead. I agree about Deathstroke. I never liked how they tried to continue it beyond Slade. If they just played things up with Slade's son I might have been ok with it, but it just makes little sense to keep going back to it. They would be better off coming up with an original villain or trying to to beef up a minor unknown into something more interesting.

• Like 1

I've never been super fond of Dinah or Rene. I do like Earth-2 Laurel for her snark, but I don't exactly love her or anything. More to the point all three were support characters making them little more tolerable. Mia will seemingly be the lead

Question for those who have watched the crossover: my girl and I are finally getting around to watching it on Sunday  even though neither of us is current on all the shows. Do we NEED to be current to enjoy it,, or is it mostly a pretty standalone story? We're current on Flash and Batwoman, a couple episodes behind on Arrow and have yet to watch any Supergirl this season if that helps. 

5 hours ago, BrianS81177 said:

Question for those who have watched the crossover: my girl and I are finally getting around to watching it on Sunday  even though neither of us is current on all the shows. Do we NEED to be current to enjoy it,, or is it mostly a pretty standalone story? We're current on Flash and Batwoman, a couple episodes behind on Arrow and have yet to watch any Supergirl this season if that helps. 

Its not really standalone. Arrow and Supergirl build into it. Honestly Supergirl has been the best of the shows this season so you might want to catch it anyways.

• Like 1

They seem to be forming the Outsiders on Black Lightning. Kind of surprised Looker wasn't involved. Looking forward to next episode.

Flash's post-Crisis is off to a decent start though it feels a bit weird seeing both it and Supergirl going after secret organizations. Kind of surprised Diggle didn't bring up the ring to Barry to though I suppose that maybe hasn't happened yet. It is interesting though how the background info left on Diggle's family means they could be showing up in Lois & Clark at some point. So does anyone know anything about the group Iris is hunting? 

Legends was another fun episode. Ava's performance was something. i love that they showed both reality and what Ava saw.

Edited by Eivion
  • Like 2

Ain't that some shit? Arrow goes off the air, then all of the shows get fancy new opening sequences lol.

Seems like there is an efford to inject some humanity back into Legends this season. I guess to balance out the insanity a little. A little surprised at the lack of Charlie, Mona and Gary. Those characters are better in smaller doses though, so I guess it's fine.

so i finally watched the big COIE crossover/miniseries/whatever you want to call it.  disclaimer: i've never watched a single episode of any of these DC shows previously.

this crossover was just bad. i loved seeing all the cameos and whatnot (Burt Ward! Justice League Flash! Marv Wolfman!!) but the plot was nonsensical. the acting was subpar. the special effects were B-level. and everything was so. fucking. overly. dramatic. problems were introduced and solved in one scene, multiple times. Lex Luthor made like 3 heel turns. the shadow wraiths or whatever they called them were laughable. Yeah, we really need these 7 "paragons" to take out this army of spirits when we've got non-powered humans punching them and they turn to smoke.

sorry, i know everyone here loved it but i just don't get it outside the novelty.

I get where you're coming from and there are plenty of legitimate criticisms, even from people that have been following along, but you can't just drop into the culmination of something that's 8 years and hundreds of hours of story long and think you'll be able to fully get why people are so invested in it. You're literally lacking the investment.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

The Goldface/Amunet stuff on Flash this week, was some of the most fun writing the show has done in a while. Is Amunet the biggest heel on the show for slagging on "OK Computer"?????

I really wish Goldface had a different name, because I keep wanting to call him Goldenface, and that is someone ENTIRELY different.

• Like 3

I liked this week's episode more than last for the Amunet/Godlface war. It was pretty fun.

Thought Legends was pretty darn fun as well with the whole slasher horror thing going on. Of course Mick would have gone to school where a serial killer dwelled. 

The mission to Markovia in Black Lightning was neat. I dug Wayne Brady as a villain and hope this isn't the last we see of him.

I've been so used to wacky Wayne Brady that I forgot that he can bring the serious when it calls for it.  He did a great job and I hope he comes back.

Also liked the post-Crisis episodes.  It kind of brought a renewed focus where even when it's setting up stuff it's been fun checking them out.

• Like 1