DVDVR Message Board

DC TV - 2020

J.T.

• 2 weeks later...

CW announced that the upcoming season of Black Lightning will be it's last.  Episode seven is a backdoor pilot for a proposed Painkiller spin-off series (did someone ask for that?).  

Mixed feelings.  Liked seasons 2 and 3 well enough, but also feel like the show lost its voice after season 1.  Personally, I was much more interested when the show focused on Jefferson  Pierce and pushed the idea that Jefferson Pierce the educator could help many more people than Black Lightning.  Also thought the show was at it's best when it was focused on Tobias and the 100.  The shadowy government experiment/war with Markovia plotline has been fairly well done but also feels cribbed from any number of other shows and comics.

I'd be curious to know how much of seasons two and three were part of the original plan and how much was network interference. 

• Like 2

China McClain (the actress who plays Jennifer) announced on social media that she's leaving Black Lightning early.  Apparently, she told the producers she wouldn't be signing a new contract for season 5 and then negotiated a new contract for season 4 that only requires her to make limited appearances and will allow her to be written out before season's end.  Season 5 isn't going to happen anyway, so...

I expected her to be part of the Painkiller spin-off but it doesn't sound like that's happening.  Her statement on social media made it sound like Covid has caused her to reevaluate her priorities.  Wondering if she's giving up acting or something.  There was a reference to "doing God's work" in the article I saw on her departure.

• 3 weeks later...

Eoz57qzVoAAlr-N?format=jpg&name=900x900

I find that the new suit is representative of the show," said Tyler Hoechlin, who stars alongside Elizabeth Tulloch, in a statement." Just as this suit is unique and set apart from the ones that preceded it, the story we’re telling about Clark/Superman at this point in his life is unique and something we’ve never seen before. I appreciate the opportunity to wear the suit and the responsibility that comes with it."

He continued: "But it’s always interesting when I’m asked how I feel about “my new suit,” because I’ve always felt that the suit doesn’t belong to me; it belongs to everyone that finds some kind of meaning in that suit, in the symbol on the chest. I just happen to be the one wearing it. I come from the world of baseball and a line of coaches that always preached that the name on the front of the jersey is more important than the one on the back. Because when you wear that jersey, it represents not only you, but your entire team, and everyone that has ever worn that jersey that came before you. So when I wear the suit, that’s what it means to me. It represents everything that Superman stands for and has stood for, for almost a century now. And I look forward to carrying on that tradition.”

Well said.

On 12/10/2020 at 6:17 PM, RIPPA said:

Batwoman Season 2

Starts Jan 17 2021

I'm intrigued how it will be received with a new Batwoman that isn't Katherine Kane. Still think recasting Katherine Kane was the way to go. I understand why people aren't happy and I'm a fan of the character having read 52, Batwoman: Elegy (must read), her guest appearance in Batman and Robin/Batman, Incorporated (Vol. 1) by Grant Morrison and W Haden Blackman/JH Williams Batwoman book. Hell I even read a book from the shit Marc Andreyko run which followed because Blackman/Williams III quit due to DC's editorial interference.

My instinct when watching the trailer is that I'm not sure if I'll like the new Batwoman.  But then I realized that I likely won't know for sure until I see at least the first couple episodes.  I'm hopeful that after fleshing out the story a bit it'll make sense and make the season easy to get into so we'll see how it goes.

• Like 1